What's new

HT hardware (1 Viewer)

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
Hi, this is my first post and if you think this is already answered ealier at some other post then please do point me there.
I am planning to go for

Speakers - Paradigm Cinema 100 5.1 speakers
DVD/media player - Oppo BDP-103
Reciever - ?
Projector - ?

I am yet to finalize AV reciever and projector and that is where I need some suggestions from you guys. My budget for reciever is arround $500 and $500 for the projector. I plan to hook up my devices (reciever and Oppo BDP 103) with my wireless internet connection and I think looking at the spec it should work fine. I also have xbox that I plan to use along with this setup.

I am also exploring speaker/sound options apart from Paradigm Cinema 100, so if you have anything in mind that can match Paradigm speakers and my budget of $1000 then please share. My basement room is 34X14 ft and am looking for some quality sound system primarily for music and video.

glad to be here and hope to see some expert opinions soon :)

BK

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum BK :)

That receiver budget is doable but $500 for a projector and screen is a bit lean. In that price range I recommend used from Amazon where you get a good return policy and good buyer protection. I recommend my first projector, the Mitsubishi HC3000 and a Da Lite, Favi or Elite screen. Keep in mind that with an older DLP like this your placement will be severely limited, meaning be flexible on your install or know your throw ranges and lens shifts exactly before pulling the trigger on your screen size! Also keep in mind that its only 720p but its an outstanding 720p projector for $250.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC3000U-Definition-Theater-Projector/dp/B000BT6LIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378995137&sr=8-2&keywords=mitsubishi+hc3000

Take a look here for great prices on factory authorized refurb AVRs:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have trouble with this budget over the fact you want an Oppo and a $500 projector.

Or was that a typo and you meant a $2500 projector...???

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
thanks Sam and Ty,

I should have been more clear
My budget for reciever is $500 and for projector is $500 + whatever a projector screen would cost. I am looking for a reciever that can work with my Paradigm Cinema 5.1 speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm still confused on why you are buying an Oppo.A cheap as possible projector does not compute with the Oppo.Why not buy a $100 network BD player so you can at least buy a $900 projector.

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
thanks Sam,
>>Why not buy a $100 network BD player so you can at least buy a $900 projector.
I think your suggestion sounds reasonable. If thats the case then what projector you recommend?
I have a samsung blueray wifi enabled BD player and its works perfectly fine for me. Maybe I'll start with this and if required will go for something else/higher end.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Limited placement flexibility but my choice in the new price range would be the Mitsubishi HC4000, $950 new or $850 refurb.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Theyre kinda equal. The Benq is likely brighter but the Mits is likely quieter. The Benq has an extra HDMI input and is 3D capable (for what its worth).

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
perfect, thanks guys, never expected such quick response, let me check them out. Now as I have a list of main h/w components I am starting to lay out my HT system wiring and what all I may need. I am going for inwall wiring for a 7.2 speaker system incase if I upgrade in future from my 5.1. item list that I have

1 - 16g dual conductor CL2 rated wire - wires speakers
2 - HDMI cable - AV reciever to projector
3 - HDMI cable - AV reciever to xbox
4 - HDMI cable - AV reciever to BD player
5 - HDMI cable - AV reciever to TV
6 - RG6 coaxial cable - cable box to TV (this is for future usage)
7 - HDMI wall plate - for Tv and xbox to connect to AV reciever
8 - Wall plate - surround sound enabled - connects speakers to AV reciever using banana plugs

I would like to enable IR remote for my AV device so that I dont have to point remote directly to it and I have no idea how IR remote works, do you have any pointers for me to get started? Also what universal remote you recommend?

Apart from this if you have any suggestions then please do share!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I always use Xantech for IR. Call them, tell them the "what and how" and they will sell you what you need. It all works over coax.

Your number 6 is not necessary, unless

1. You do Xantech. There are other brands of IR(Cables to Go, Vanco, many others) that do use coax and that don't use coax.

2. OTA is in your future. And at that, before I describe how OTA "should be done" with a projector...are you thinking about it?

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
Will this IR kit work with my AV reciever? I am leaning towards IR over HDMI. My AV reciever, BD player and speaker controling unit is not directly in line of sight and hence the need. I am assuming that IR kits are generic and it works with any device that supports a given communication route ex: IR over HDMI.

I think I am good with TV and game console as they are in line of sight. Also the need for RG6 coaxial cable is that I have bright house networks and as per them all I need is to hook my TV with cable wire. I already have a cable wire drawn into my basement but its little short and hence I need to extend it to my TV location.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you are planning on using Sewell(Cablesson, Vanco) Direct Injection for your IR. I've never used it. The only drawback(hence why I've never used it) is when/if you want to run IR control to various audio only rooms of the house, you have to go back to IR over coax anyway. Future expansion is limited.(unless there is now a way to merge Direct Injection with coax...if there is, don't know about that either).

I love how stupid cable companies are. No. Your STB connects to your AVR via HDMI. There is absolutely no reason, none, to connect the STB to the TV. Your AVR has HDMI passthrough in standby. (or if the one you were looking at doesn't...there is your excuse for a slight increase in budget for 1000% less headache in setup)

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
going thru some AVR manuals and online reviews, Ive found that Pioneer VSX 1123 is something that has all the possible features/price-range that I am looking for. Wanted to see what you have to say about this choice and suggestions/options if any, you may have for me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
maverik said:
going thru some AVR manuals and online reviews, Ive found that Pioneer VSX 1123 is something that has all the possible features/price-range that I am looking for. Wanted to see what you have to say about this choice and suggestions/options if any, you may have for me.
The Good:

Crystal clear sound. If older Marantz receivers are "warm" like wood then Pioneer would be "clear" like glass (analogy sounded better in my head then it looks on the screen :wacko: ). User friendly MCACC automatic setup/eq with 6 MCACC presets which also remember individual speaker volumes and can easily be copied from one preset to another. Many sound adjustments like Dialog Enchancement and X-Curve. Pioneers are a tweakers dream. I like the remotes (but some others don't). Fairly reliable (depending on who you ask), nice looking, not best-in-class power but more than enough for most users. I would say Pioneer is a little better for movies/tv then music but if you have the right speakers (for you and your rooms acoustics) then Pure Analog (regardless of receiver brand) is wonderfull for two channel music.

The bad:

MCACC doesn't eq the subwoofer and only one crossover setting for all speaker groups. The many user adjustments can be intimidated/frustrating at first. Some of the new "apps" apparently don't always work as well as hoped/promised.

Marantz and Yamaha are good alternatives if you favour Pioneer. Denon Onkyo/Integra if you don't.

I have an Elite vsx-23, BD-23 bluray and 58avi universal dvd player in one room and see no reason to replace them. But I'm also stuck in 2009 as far as receivers are concerned. Not yet interested in the new whizz/bang features.

I also have a Marantz 7005, 7006 bluray and 4003 cd player in the livingroom. Very nice setup but a little over-priced imo.

Marantz is slowly turning into Denon knock-offs but as of now they're engineers still have some input on sound quality, etc. and they are much easier to setup and operate then Denon's IMO. More expensive based on name alone.

Of the 15-20 receivers I've had over the last few years none have been a Yamaha. I really need to get one. The 3030 with the ESS Sabre DACS has me drooling. But too expensive for me right now. Maybe some day.

There is no perfect receiver. it's all about chosing the right features/performance/price combination and living with the compromises.

maverik

Auditioning
Real Name
BK
>>There is no perfect receiver
Yes, absolutely.

thanks Gene for your reply

I also thought to check Yamaha and Ive found Yamaha RXA730 that has competing features with Pioneer 1123. One of the major diff is the number of HDMI in and out available. Pio has 7in + 2 out where as RX730 has 6in and 1out.

Pricewise they both are in my range but after reading your post I would give YAM a closer look, in any case thanks for your post

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks