What's new

Target enters the Internet video business (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Target will debut the Target Ticket service Oct. 1 with a collection of about 30,000 TV and movie titles for purchase or rental.

Target is obviously late to the fast growing digital video market with some of their major competitors being Amazon.COM, Walmart and Best Buy. However Target believes that they have unique offerings by providing simplicity, parental controls and access to early electronic sell-through content. According to Target, 50% of their customer base has never downloaded or streamed video before, thus providing them a green field of opportunity.

The company has deals for Target Ticket with major studios, including Disney, Paramount, Sony Pictures Entertainment, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Universal and Lionsgate. TV networks in the mix include ABC, AMC, CBS, CW, Fox, FX, HBO, The WB, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, NBC, Showtime, Starz and USA Network. TV content is available for purchase only but may be streamed or downloaded.

One of the differentiators listed above is access to early EST, including day-after-broadcast TV episodes and movies before they are available on DVD. The service is compatible with UltraViolet to let Target Ticket customers import movies they have already bought from their UltraViolet account.

How many of you are in the 50% of target customers that have never downloaded or streamed video content? It seems a little early to tell how competitive they will be until we see what content they really have.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin Collins said:
How many of you are in the 50% of target customers that have never downloaded or streamed video content?
THAT would include me.

But I'm just not interested. Both my Blu Player and TV are loaded with various streaming services and wi-fi capability...but I choose to stick with cable TV service and purchased physical media.

I graduated a long time ago...

i-f387fd2e8ce2c5f8ad2d590e4ff9316b-old-school.jpg

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't see how this attracts many people, when there are established services like Vudu, & Amazon Instant available. CinamaNow and MGO have failed to attract many users from what I understand.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
This sounds similar to the business model that Circuit City tried to use when promoting DIVX. They tried to corner the market for people who have yet to buy a DVD player by releasing a format featuring pan n scan movies. After all, most of the people who do not own a DVD player prefered pan n scan. Similarly, what Target fails to take into account is that the majority of that 50% who have yet to try streaming would not interested in doing so even if Target were giving it away.Sent from my SPH-M830 using HTF mobile app

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
I don't see how this attracts many people, when there are established services like Vudu, & Amazon Instant available. CinamaNow and MGO have failed to attract many users from what I understand.
They have fails partly due to the fact that they don't promote their product. It's still early in the electronic sell thru cycle for them to be written off just yet though.There are many people out there that trust the Target brand and they will be the ones who go with this seller for their UV purchases. I fully expect Target to heavily promote this service.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Carl Johnson said:
This sounds similar to the business model that Circuit City tried to use when promoting DIVX. They tried to corner the market for people who have yet to buy a DVD player by releasing a format featuring pan n scan movies. After all, most of the people who do not own a DVD player prefered pan n scan. Similarly, what Target fails to take into account is that the majority of that 50% who have yet to try streaming would not interested in doing so even if Target were giving it away.Sent from my SPH-M830 using HTF mobile app
Carl Your right, I think that the 50% flat out have no desire to stream no matter what. I think the studios need to realize this. Not everyone cares and these people will stick to traditional sell thru. I think that people have a false idea that these are older consumers but that's not necessarily the case as I know many younger folks that have no interest or desire in streaming video.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Towergrove,

You really think Target will market this very much? Wal-Mart doesn't even have a marketing campaign for vudu, beyond putting stickers on the DVD's and a sign near the photo counter. I haven't seen any TV/Radio spots, and they don't even play one on their own in-store video loop. I have been waiting for a UV marketing campaign to start, to drive awareness and adoption, because that would perhaps get more studio's and retailers on board. The big ones, I mean, like Amazon, Xbox Media Store, Google Play store, etc...

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
Towergrove,

You really think Target will market this very much? Wal-Mart doesn't even have a marketing campaign for vudu, beyond putting stickers on the DVD's and a sign near the photo counter. I haven't seen any TV/Radio spots, and they don't even play one on their own in-store video loop. I have been waiting for a UV marketing campaign to start, to drive awareness and adoption, because that would perhaps get more studio's and retailers on board. The big ones, I mean, like Amazon, Xbox Media Store, Google Play store, etc...
Joshua in my state I do see commercials from Walmart and Vudu for their service. Also discussing disc to digital. I have a question for you:

Why would Target spend millions of dollars on their new system if they have no plans to support it? It would make no since to me and as a shareholder I would be very upset with wasteful spending on a system that they have spent time and money on only to not support it in the end.
You should also remember that Walmart and Target are walking a very thin line with whatever they support because they dont want to upset their physical business that is very lucrative for them. Right now these services are complementing their physical product.

It was mentioned a year or so ago that amazon would be part of UV eventually. I wonder what the wait is for?

You mention video storefronts like: Amazon, Xbox Media Store, Google Play store, rarely do I see advertising in the media specifically for those services for their awareness and adoption.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I was unaware that Wal-mart was advertising it's vudu service. I knew they had posted a few videos on youtube, and promoted them on facebook or something, but I've never seen a TV ad. But then I don't watch much TV, either. And CinemaNow doesn't even promote it's service in the BestBuy stores very much, so I figure Target will do the same. We will see though. There's supposed to have been a strong marketing campaign coming that was announced at CES but it has yet to materialize. I hope it will come in the fall during the run up to the holiday shopping season.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
image003.jpg
Target Introduces Target Ticket, a Family-Friendly Digital Video Service
Service available to guests at TargetTicket.com
MINNEAPOLIS (Sept. 25, 2013) – Today Target®Corp. (NYSE: TGT) announced that Target Ticket, its new digital video service, is available to guests nationwide. The convenient service, ideal for families with children, gives guests an easy way to access and enjoy their favorite titles on their preferred digital channels and devices anytime, anywhere.
Target partnered with Common Sense Media, a San Francisco-based non-profit organization best known for its reviews of movies and television shows. Through the partnership, Target Ticket gives guests access to thousands of reviews, making it easier for parents to choose the right content for their children. In addition to an overall quality rating, guests can set filters according to age-appropriateness, level of violence, profanity, MPAA and TV Parental Guidelines, putting guests’ in control of the content they deem appropriate for viewing. Parents can customize a profile for each family member, allowing multiple viewers to watch their preferred content simultaneously on different devices.
“Many of our guests told us that streaming and viewing videos is complicated, so we created Target Ticket to simplify the experience,” said Anne Stanchfield, divisional merchandise manager of entertainment, Target. “Target Ticket will help guests who are looking for a kid-safe, easy-to-use service that mirrors what they have come to expect from Target’s entertainment offerings – a premium selection of the newest titles plus exclusive content, all at an affordable price.”

Additional Target Ticket features include:
· 30,000 movie and television titles available to buy or rent, download or stream at home or on-the-go, starting as low as $.99.
· No subscription or sign-up fees, plus REDcard holders receive 5 percent off each purchase.
· Premium selection of new blockbuster films. Current releases offered include “World War Z,” “Iron Man 3,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “The Croods” and more.
· Highly sought after series such as HBO’s “Game of Thrones” and “True Blood” and SHOWTIME’S ®“HOMELAND.”
· More than 50 popular next-day television shows including “The Walking Dead,” “Big Bang Theory,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” and more.
· Viewers can watch rented content as many times as they want within a 48-hour rental period.
· Target exclusive bonus footage available in select movies.
· Target Ticket will offer 10 free downloads on select movies for each new guest.

Target Ticket is currently available on PC and MAC, Android and iOS, Roku®, Xbox, Samsung televisions and Blu-Ray players, with availability on additional devices in the coming months. Guests can visit TargetTicket.com to access the service or download the Target Ticket app through the App Store or Google Play.
For additional details about the service, guests can visit TargetTicket.com and ABullseyeView.com.

P

Patrick Donahue

Well Target Ticket, my trial run of you lasted all of 2 minutes.I added the channel to my Roku to play around with it a little, and when I clicked on the technical details page of some new releases to see what pic and sound quality it offered I saw that their HD was in... 720p.Aaaaaaand back to Vudu I go...

P

Patrick Donahue

^ Yes it was not listed under any of the channel categories, etc, I just did a manual search for it

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have been using Tarket Ticket for the past few days. but I am really starting to like it. I like the brighter colors, as opposed to the darker colors on vudu.The interface is pretty good as well. It also has parental controls. You can create sub-accounts for your children, and limit movies by rating, or age range. It is really nice. Once you switch the device to that account, you have to enter a passcode to get back to the parent account. You could have a seperate account for each child, depending on their age. You can also prevent the child account from purchasing films.There is also a playlist feature that I really like. You can create playlists for each account. I have created a playlist for Animation, Holiday Movies, Faith Films, & Sci-Fi. I am sure I will make more in the future. This is just a beta, but it's great so far. They have some movies that vudu doesn't. I hope they add a discc-to-digital service. If they do I won't use vudu as much. They also plan to be able to redeem UV codes directly on the site soon, Well, that's my review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks