What's new

A Sneak Peek at Drums Along the Mohawk (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Got an early look at the new Twilight Time Drums Along the Mohawk. I will admit upfront that it's never been one of my favorite John Ford pictures, but in my film collecting days I had a lovely IB Tech print in 16mm. So, I was surprised to find myself really liking it so much - it's really good. I don't know the story with the elements on this film, whether it's part of those Technicolor things that were trashed, but I can tell you the transfer looks just like my IB print - color is very accurate for that era, it's sharp and it just looks great, I think.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Looking forward to seeing this. Always have loved Edna Mae Oliver. And the shot of Claudette falling to the ground in her goodbye is fantastic.

Hope this arrives soon.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I wasn't happy with the laser disc years ago and was going to pass on this title, but if Bruce says it looks good then I guess I'll pick it up after all. Thanks for the early comments.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Yes, thanks Bruce. I was on the edge of ordering this or not but order will be placed today. Really looking forward to this now. Sounds like it was a project of love from Twilight.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've just heard about the state of the elements on this film - which is not good. I was astonished to hear this and it makes the work that was done on this brand new transfer rather astonishing to me. I think people will be pleased - I certainly was and to think the elements are bad, then Mr. Belston and company deserve major kudos for getting it this nice. Obviously if there were great elements it could probably look better (what can't, really) but boy was I surprised to hear it after watching last night.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
I've just heard about the state of the elements on this film - which is not good. I was astonished to hear this and it makes the work that was done on this brand new transfer rather astonishing to me. I think people will be pleased - I certainly was and to think the elements are bad, then Mr. Belston and company deserve major kudos for getting it this nice. Obviously if there were great elements it could probably look better (what can't, really) but boy was I surprised to hear it after watching last night.
I heard in the past that the elements were in bad shape, I'm not sure if it was from RAH or when I talked with Mr. Belston last year during our HTF visit at Fox.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have purchased this title on every format on which it was released, and have always through it was a terrific film about pioneers. I was never happy with the color/sharpness of the film before, but this sounds like the one I've been waiting for. Thanks, Bruce.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've only seen this movie once or twice and was going to pass on a $30 Blu-ray of it as I spend so much on media. But, Bruce's description makes it sound too good to pass up. It really needs a good presentation to be properly appreciated; so I, too have ordered this one.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hope this gets a release in Australia -- otherwise I'll pick up the US version despite its relatively high price. It's an astonishing movie... quite special for its period.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm happy, mine shipped today also. Thanks again Bruce, I might have missed this one. Now I'm getting ready for The Way We Were, Oliver, and the Sinbad movies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Hodson said:
Is this a further restoration of the film over and above the 2007 Ford at Fox release and, if so, how does it compare?
I don't know about restoration, but yes, it's a brand new transfer and not the one used for the 2007 box - I have that box in the garage and I'll try to pull it out and compare.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
haineshisway said:
I don't know about restoration, but yes, it's a brand new transfer and not the one used for the 2007 box - I have that box in the garage and I'll try to pull it out and compare.
Bruce, how's the shadow detail? It was quite crushed on the Soul Media BD, in addition to weird out-of-phase sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks