Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Sneak Peek at Drums Along the Mohawk

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:51 PM

Got an early look at the new Twilight Time Drums Along the Mohawk.  I will admit upfront that it's never been one of my favorite John Ford pictures, but in my film collecting days I had a lovely IB Tech print in 16mm.  So, I was surprised to find myself really liking it so much - it's really good.  I don't know the story with the elements on this film, whether it's part of those Technicolor things that were trashed, but I can tell you the transfer looks just like my IB print - color is very accurate for that era, it's sharp and it just looks great, I think.  

• Will Krupp likes this

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 08:14 PM

Looking forward to seeing this.   Always have loved Edna Mae Oliver.    And the shot of Claudette falling to the ground in her goodbye is fantastic.

Hope this arrives soon.

• Mark Mayes likes this

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 10 2013 - 02:06 AM

I'm still waiting for mine to ship.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 10 2013 - 04:13 AM

Haven't received the review copy yet either, but I'm certainly looking forward to it.

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,122 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 05:07 AM

YAY!!!!! This wasn't even on my radar, thanks for the "heads up" Bruce!

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   moovtune

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 10 2013 - 05:49 AM

I wasn't happy with the laser disc years ago and was going to pass on this title, but if Bruce says it looks good then I guess I'll pick it up after all. Thanks for the early comments.

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 06:20 AM

This is my first Twilight Time order. I'm glad my money's well spent.

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 10 2013 - 06:56 AM

Yes, thanks Bruce. I was on the edge of ordering this or not but order will be placed today. Really looking forward to this now. Sounds like it was a project of love from Twilight.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 10 2013 - 09:43 AM

I've just heard about the state of the elements on this film - which is not good.  I was astonished to hear this and it makes the work that was done on this brand new transfer rather astonishing to me.  I think people will be pleased - I certainly was and to think the elements are bad, then Mr. Belston and company deserve major kudos for getting it this nice.  Obviously if there were great elements it could probably look better (what can't, really) but boy was I surprised to hear it after watching last night.

• ahollis likes this

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 10 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've just heard about the state of the elements on this film - which is not good.  I was astonished to hear this and it makes the work that was done on this brand new transfer rather astonishing to me.  I think people will be pleased - I certainly was and to think the elements are bad, then Mr. Belston and company deserve major kudos for getting it this nice.  Obviously if there were great elements it could probably look better (what can't, really) but boy was I surprised to hear it after watching last night.

I heard in the past that the elements were in bad shape, I'm not sure if it was from RAH or when I talked with Mr. Belston last year during our HTF visit at Fox.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 50 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,261 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have purchased this title on every format on which it was released, and have always through it was a terrific film about pioneers. I was never happy with the color/sharpness of the film before, but this sounds like the one I've been waiting for. Thanks, Bruce.

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted September 10 2013 - 12:13 PM

Screen Archives Entertainment has announced on the home page of their website that "Drums Along The Mohawk" & "Alamo Bay" are now shipping!!! :drum: :drum:

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the review. Been a favorite of mine since I was  kid.

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,557 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 07:12 AM

I've only seen this movie once or twice and was going to pass on a $30 Blu-ray of it as I spend so much on media. But, Bruce's description  makes it sound too good to pass up. It really needs a good presentation to be properly appreciated; so I, too have ordered this one.

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted September 11 2013 - 05:31 PM

I hope this gets a release in Australia -- otherwise I'll pick up the US version despite its relatively high price. It's an astonishing movie... quite special for its period.

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,130 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted September 11 2013 - 05:37 PM

Screen Archives Entertainment has announced on the home page of their website that "Drums Along The Mohawk" & "Alamo Bay" are now shipping!!! :drum: :drum:

My copy was shipped today.

Rich Gallagher

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 11 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm happy, mine shipped today also. Thanks again Bruce, I might have missed this one. Now I'm getting ready for The Way We Were, Oliver, and the Sinbad movies.
  • dana martin likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 12 2013 - 06:19 AM

Is this a further restoration of the film over and above the 2007 Ford at Fox release and, if so, how does it compare?

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:48 AM

Is this a further restoration of the film over and above the 2007 Ford at Fox release and, if so, how does it compare?

I don't know about restoration, but yes, it's a brand new transfer and not the one used for the 2007 box - I have that box in the garage and I'll try to pull it out and compare.

• John Hodson likes this

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't know about restoration, but yes, it's a brand new transfer and not the one used for the 2007 box - I have that box in the garage and I'll try to pull it out and compare.

Bruce, how's the shadow detail?  It was quite crushed on the Soul Media BD, in addition to weird out-of-phase sound.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users