-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Killing Fields 30th Anniversary (Blu-ray DigiBook)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,597 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 06:28 AM

POPULAR

43498_front.jpg

“Unforgettable. A movie to haunt your memory.”

—CBS Morning News

THE KILLING FIELDS 
CELEBRATES 30TH ANNIVERSARY 
WITH BLU-RAY™ DEBUT JANUARY 7

36-page Blu-ray Book Packaging for Movie Bestowed with SevenOscar® Nominations and Three Wins

BURBANK, Calif., September 9, 2013 – In celebration of its 30th anniversary, The Killing Fields, the haunting war story based on true events from the 1975 Khmer Rouge takeover of Cambodia, will make its Blu-ray™ HD debut on January 7. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) is releasing the film, which stars Sam Waterston (TV’s “The Newsroom”), Haing S. Ngor (Heaven & Earth), and John Malkovich (In the Line of Fire). The Killing Fields was directed by Roland Joffé (The Mission) and produced by David Puttnam (Chariots of Fire).

The Killing Fields won three Oscars® (1984) for Best Supporting Actor (Ngor), Best Cinematography (Chris Menges) and Best Editing (Jim Clark) as well as nominations for Best Picture, Best Screenplay (Bruce Robinson), Best Director (Roland Joffé) and Best Actor in a Leading Role (Waterston).

WBHE will release The Killing Fields in a premium 36-page Blu-ray book ($27.98 SRP), which includes rare photos, production notes and other material.

Synopsis:

This emotional and brutally honest true story follows Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times reporter Sydney Schanberg (Waterston), who remains in Cambodia in 1975 after the government falls. He convinces his friend and translator Dith Pran (Ngor) to stay with him to report on the bloodbath perpetrated by one of the most brutal regimes of the 20th century and on the United States' role in precipitating the horror. The two continue to work until the Khmer Rouge, the terrorist government that killed nearly 3 million, arrests them. Schanberg is eventually released and returns to New York. Pran is sent for execution but barely manages a daring escape from the killing fields and from Cambodia. With the help of Schanberg, Pran emigrates to the U.S. and becomes a staff photographer for the New York Times.

Special Features: 

• Commentary by director Roland Joffé
  • Theatrical trailer

The Killing Fields 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray™

Rating:  R

Run Time:  141 min.

Street Date:  January 7, 2014

Order Date:  December 3, 2013

Pricing:  $27.98 SRP

Catalog#/UPC: 1000436984 /883929374267

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are registered trademarks and services marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

• lukejosephchung, tele1962 and Cremildo like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:59 AM

Fantastic news, this is one I have waited a long time for.

#3 of 15 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:46 AM

One of my favorite movies, but COME ON!!!!! 30th Aniversary and THIS is all you can do for us??? Atrailer and commentary track??? LAME LAME LAME!!!

But I guess I SHOULD be thankfull its comming out at all... :(

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#4 of 15 Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted September 09 2013 - 11:05 AM

I've been waiting for this for years.

I remeber some time ago a BD edition was even listed on Amazon.uk., but nothing came out of that.

#5 of 15 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,093 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 11:24 AM

I did purchase a region 2 edition of this, I'm not sure from where (Germany?). There was only 1 copy of it on Amazon and I never saw another, so I got lucky. Aside from not having the 36-page booklet, it has exactly the same features, and looks great. But I'll probably buy this one anyway, as I am trying to reduce the  number of Region 2's I own as domestic copies emerge.

#6 of 15 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,247 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 09 2013 - 11:51 AM

Fantastic news, this is one I have waited a long time for.

As have I. The last version of this movie I owned was Laserdisc. As I never got around to upgrading it to DVD, I've been waiting forever for the Blu. Though I do wish Warner would skip the digibooks and go straight to single disc releases - much more affordable that way.

Edited by Mark-P, September 09 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• cafink likes this

#7 of 15 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted September 09 2013 - 04:31 PM

Great news! 

Edit: BTW, didn't I just mention this title on this very forum a few days ago? Coincidence? Probably.

Edited by Cinescott, September 09 2013 - 04:35 PM.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#8 of 15 Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 03:26 AM

Great news! Day one purchase :)

#9 of 15 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 12:42 PM

Commentary, trailer and... That's it? And they call it "30th AE". Warner is so weird sometimes.
  • battlebeast likes this

#10 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,597 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 11:05 PM

Artwork updated in original post

Now Available for preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 15 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,253 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 11 2013 - 08:44 AM

Excellent!  A definite buy for me.

#12 of 15 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted September 11 2013 - 01:42 PM

I actually like the cover. Definite day one for me. Pre-ordered.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#13 of 15 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 11 2013 - 10:05 PM

Commentary, trailer and... That's it? And they call it "30th AE". Warner is so weird sometimes.

That's what I said! LAME

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#14 of 15 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted September 12 2013 - 05:02 AM

The announcement says "celebrates 30th anniversary" with a Blu-ray release. There's no mention on the cover of this being a special anniversary edition. As great as this film is, Warner is taking a risk with this release. Who knows how well it will sell if studios think titles like "Sleepless in Seatle" and "The Way We Were" are in the neighborhood of 3,000? I'd wager most who see this title on the shelf in January will have never heard of it.

Studios are not going to spend money on additional features if they feel the bare-bones release might not make a profit. No doubt the commentary is the same as the previous DVD as well. I'm glad Warner is releasing it and will be happy to have it in 1080p.

Would I have loved to see a "super anniversary edition" with new documentaries, a bio of Haing Ngor's life, maybe clippings from Sydney Schanberg's articles from the New York Times? Sure, but those things are expensive and I live in the real world.

#15 of 15 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 15 2013 - 08:34 AM

Well, even the UK DVD has "Omnibus: The Killing Fields" documentary (54 min) and "David Puttnam On The Killing Field" interview (48 min). If a small company can do that then I'm sure that Warner can do much more than just the old audio commentary.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that this is coming to Blu-ray from Warner. And it's great that it has at least that audio commentary. But at the end of the day this was a missed opportunity (extras wise).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users