What's new

Pioneer SP-PK52FS & Onkyo TX-NR515 good match? (1 Viewer)

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
Hello all, I have a budget of $2500.00 for a home theater system. I would like a 60" LCD. I've read a bunch of reviews for the SP-PK52FS system and for the money $550.00 looks like the best HTiB. The only cons were the sub and looks. The Onkyo TX-NR515 for $260.00 looks like it will do everything I need.

If you had this budget I'd love to hear some suggestions for a setup.

I would say I'm about 50/50 listening to music and watching movies.

All suggestions appreciated

Thanx, Pete

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First mistake is the 60" LCD.

Otherwise HTiB is the wrong term here. That is a speaker set.

For $2500...

Any 60" plasma. Pick one. Any of them are better than every 60" LCD.

The AVR that fits your needs best and has the features you need/want...which are?

Same with speakers. You've got Lava and BIC for subs under $250.

For around $750 for the 5.0 portion(I'm considering $1000 for the TV, which still gets you a Panasonic 60S60)
You have a few hundred options.

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
Hello Sam, thank you for the reply. I guess I jumped the gun and was just looking for some suggestions for speakers and receivers and not HTiB. I will do some more research and read up on the seperate speaker and receiver forums.
My apologies, Pete

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What AVR features do you need?Networking?Bluetooth?HDMI upconversion? (For a Wii or VCR)2Nd zone?Front HDMI?As for speakers...Want tower fronts?Bookshelves all around?Wall mounting?Sitting on a stand?How big is the room?

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
The AVR features I would like are networking, bluetooth, and the upconversion, The front HDMI or 2nd zone are not necessary for now. I was just reading a post on the Speakers and Subwoofer forum which you commented on which was titled "with only a $1,500.00 for speakers what do you recommend".

I will be using the system probably more 70/30 music not 50/.50 as I said in the first post. As you were saying towers would be better for me for the fronts because I'm listening to more music then using them for movies. I want to get something that will last and that seems like a good budget point for me also ($1500.00). The surronds will be on stands or on the fireplace mantle. The room is an L shape combo dining/living room, were the speakers will be is about 12' x 15'.

Pete

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Good choice would be the Mordaunt Short Carnival. Depending on price, you might be able to swing Aviano.I like those better than Polk TSX/Monitor or the Infinity Primus.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Although I'm not a fan of the series(company, yes...just not this series)...KEF CThey are numbered 1-6(if I remember correctly). KEF only makes them for the US market...and it shows. They have nothing in common with the rest of KEF. But they are the only KEF towers in your price range. Now if you want to double your budget and buy some speakers you'll be happy to have for 75+ years...KEF Q and IQ.

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
I'll have to do some research an those suggestions and see how far I can stretch my budget, maybe it's time to liquidate some of my recordng gear and put it into my home system, big decesion for me.

Wish I had 75 years left 25 if I'm lucky!

What happened to all the stereo stores? When i was younger you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a high end stereo store. I'm in Connecticut, just moved up to the sticks (New Milford). I'm gonna have to hit New Haven when I get a night off to see what stores are left and what I can listen to.

Went to kefdirect.com and the Q500 is the same price as the C7. The Q700 & Q900 maybe a possibility. I like buying something from a company with a history and has a high quality standard and will stand the test of time. I spent $1800.00 for my Nueman U-87 25 years ago and it's still going strong and I could sell it today for the same price, that's quality.

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions, it's time for me to make some decesions, Pete

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
Yes, you are 100% correct. After talking to you and weighing all the options. It's better to build slow and right instead of it's good for now. Have you listened to the Q700 & Q900's by any chance?

That seems like the right place to start build from the front out, then next pick a sub, maybe an svs and a receiver, just to get the music portion right and later add the center and surrounds. I'm doing so much work on the new house and I work a 12 hour shift that I won't have time to sit down and enjoy movies for a while! Also my old bandmates are calling and want me to start paying again, what guys over 50 won't do to get out of the house!!!

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
On 2nd thought, either the Q700's or Q900's should be fine for music on thier own with just the receiver and then I can budget more for a better sub?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes I've heard all three. I would buy the 5/7/900 based on...Room size (the 900 is overkill unless the room is 18x18+)Preponderance of "pure 2.0 listening".What will that music be?Like if your room is 25x25 and your "leave your home for a gig" music is cranked to 105db...sure...get the 900.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And yes, save for a sub...or scour Craigslist. I bet even Audiogon has bunches of used stuff in your area.I know the original idea with the 525. It will still work with the KEF Q. If you do have a large room, I would suggest a beefier AVR. Once you start adding in channels, power per channel drops. None of these AVR are "really 100x7". The reality is closer to 30-50x7. The 525 is on the lower end there. It also depends what you listen to. I was listening to a SACD of Tchaikovsky the other day. All 5 channels were up around 60 watts(two Kenwood M2A with the AVR only responsible for the center). Yeah, it was gorgeous...and loud.

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
The room would be 25X22 if it were a square without the 12x10 3 season porch in the upper left hand corner.

The music will be bluegrass to metal, being a bass player I've played everything and listen to most everything, but mainly old school R&B, and old school metal, But I will also listen to Bill Monroe & Yo Yo Ma playing Bach's cello suites.

I'm leaning toward the Q700's? What would you suggest as a beefier AVR? What do you use for your disc player?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A bass player with a gig, I'm impressed (I know...old joke).

For future proofing yourself, I'd step up to an AVR with pre-outs.

Onkyo NR828 is the least expensive "new one". Yeah, it sits at a grand. The "elder" NR700 series(708, 709, 717) are still HDMI 1.4 and started out around $650-$700 and used under $500.

Yamaha RX-V6xx(671, 675) are a great choice. Denon with pre-outs can be found but the model numders (more than 2 years ago) make them a nightmare to find. Marantz starting with a 5(sometimes) and a 6 have pre-outs(go no older than a x005).

If you find yourself an AVR with pre-outs...it will usually have everything else you could possibly want.

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
How about the Yamaha V573BL? New Egg has 'em for $299. Ever hear one? Any experience or no anyone with one?

smanrecording

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Szymanski
Hello everyone, been away for a few years as the saying goes "life gets in the way of best laid plans". Anyway I've been keeping an eye on craigslist and came across a deal I couldn't pass up. I picked up a Klipsch 5.1 speaker system for very cheap. When I auditioned the system he was using an older Marantz AVR.

I am looking for recommendations on a receiver in the $400 to $500 dollar range. The speakers are SF-2 towers, SC1 center, SS5 surrounds & a KSW-12 powered sub. I checked accessories4less and these two have all my requirements any one have any experience with either

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5008/marantz-sr5008-7.2-network-home-theater-receiver-airplay/1.html#!more

Thanx in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks