Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone contemplating the Samsung Galaxy Note III?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 13 2013 - 04:59 PM

Will the battery last an entire day and still have some charge left? That is where my Droid Razr fails. Even when new the phone struggled with that, and now that it is a couple of years old it drains fast when I am in weak signal areas. So, it's time for something new.

#22 of 29 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,174 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 03:25 AM

Scott,

It's difficult for me to answer that question.

Have only had it for a week.  Most of the time, while at work, I have it connected to a USB port at work constantly charged.

I am in Canada these past few days.  The battery life is great, but then again, I disabled all mobile access as I don't want to be charged for phone service.

As I mentioned earlier, battery drain also depends on what you have running on your phone.  I have live wallpaper which will drain the battery faster than static.

Battery life has been rated rather well in reviews I have linked to.

But here is the best thing about Samsung phones (and the like)....

You buy a spare battery and replace it if you need to.  That's another huge reason I love Samsung over Apple for phones.  I don't have to race to charge my phone when the battery gets low.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2013 - 03:53 AM

Thanks, Ron. I probably need to stop by a Verizon store and check out the different models. Personally, I would rather have a smaller phone -- something that can easily fit in my pocket and the personal items compartment in my golf bag. I am not sure these 5-inch or larger screens wll work for me.

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted October 17 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm "stuck" with my S4 for another year. I actually love the phone and have no complaints.

But we recently picked up the Note 10.1 2014 for my wife/ She's been busy woth work, so I set it up for her and have been playing around with it. I think I've fallen in love with the Note line. I'll be picking up a 10.1 for myself soon, and might go with the Note for my next phone.

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 03 2013 - 03:51 PM

The battery on my DROID Razr gave me enough problems last weekend that I bit the bullet and got a new phone. I went with the Droid Maxx. My biggest issue with the Razr was the battery life, and this phone takes care of that issue in a big way.

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted December 11 2013 - 03:06 AM

Wish I could follow yah, Ron, but my new company is taking me in the opposite direction, so I'll be walking around w/ an iPhone shortly. Fortunately, I'm making this switch from GS3, not a GN2/3, so hopefully, the screen-size reduction, lack of microSD and loss of Swiftkey (among other things) won't be too painful... On the plus side, this should at least give full functionality to my Sennheiser (made-for-iPhone) wired headset, which I never got the mic to work reliably on the GS3. _Man_

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 11 2013 - 07:07 AM

Wish I could follow yah, Ron, but my new company is taking me in the opposite direction, so I'll be walking around w/ an iPhone shortly. Fortunately, I'm making this switch from GS3, not a GN2/3, so hopefully, the screen-size reduction, lack of microSD and loss of Swiftkey (among other things) won't be too painful...On the plus side, this should at least give full functionality to my Sennheiser (made-for-iPhone) wired headset, which I never got the mic to work reliably on the GS3._Man_

When I went from a Droid Razr to the Droid Maxx I lost the microSD slot, too. However, I found that I stored very little on the card with the old phone, and had plenty of internal storage space available after 2.5 years of use. So, I doubt I will miss the feature.

Giving up Swiftkey would definitely bother me, though. I love that keyboard app.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, December 11 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted December 11 2013 - 07:53 AM

The lack of microSD probably wouldn't be much an issue if I was getting a 64GB (or maybe even 32GB) phone, but think I'm getting just 16GB, which means I'll probably need to synch diff music files to it fairly often (vs rarely) and keep its camera use to a minimum. And I am definitely no fan of iTunes either... Well, since this is a company phone, at least I won't worry if the non-replaceable battery degrades w/in a year or two -- just request a new phone, if it degrades too much... _Man_

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,913 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 11 2013 - 10:09 AM

^ I could see 16GB being a little tight in your case -- my Droid Maxx has 32GB of storage, and I do not generally store music on the phone.

I have to agree about iTunes, too. It's decent for managing my music library on an iPod, but it's a pain being required to use it to synch everything to the iPad2 I own (got it free from work, or I would have bought an Android tablet). I'd much rather just drag and drop photos, videos, etc. like I can to the Droid phone.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, December 11 2013 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users