Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone contemplating the Samsung Galaxy Note III?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 03:18 AM

Switched from the iPhone to the Galaxy Note II almost

a year ago, and I do have to say that I have been very 

happy with the Android device.  The larger screen has

made all the difference in the world as far as overall 

enjoyability -- so much so that I rarely even use my iPad

anymore since the Note II is almost a tablet within itself.

Very much considering going with the Note III.  In fact,

I have pretty much made up my mind to preorder it today.

It's pretty expensive out of contract, but I will be trading 

in my Note II and another iPhone that I have had on hand.

Very impressed with the videos I have seen on the Note III,

most particularly, the HD screen and 13-megapixel camera.

Just wondering if any other members here were looking to

make the same upgrade come October 1st.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,632 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ron,

I don't intend to buy the Note 3, but I do find it fascinating how big phone screens tend to psychologically shrink when one gets used to them.  When I first saw my supervisor's Note 2, it seemed huge, but now that I've had an S4 for a few months, 5+ inches doesn't seem that big.  4 inches or less seems utterly dinky now.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 09:20 PM

Robert,

I think you described the experience perfectly.

I don't even notice the large screen size anymore.  It just

feels comfortable for me.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 09 2013 - 04:00 AM

Sometimes I wish I could use my Nexus 7 like a phone. :-)

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 2,098 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted September 09 2013 - 04:25 AM

Google Voice/Skype & Bluetooth earpiece Cameron .. you'll look like a dork but hey, it'd work!

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:22 AM

Google Voice/Skype & Bluetooth earpiece Cameron .. you'll look like a dork but hey, it'd work!

Hmm...was't that the concern about using something as big as the Note? :D

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:54 AM

It has been about 10 months since I switched from my iPhone 4 to an HTC DNA. I made the switched primarily because I wanted a larger screen and I wanted to try an Android phone. I have been very happy with the DNA.

The Note 3 is interesting and I might be tempted at paying the price and upgrading early however there is one thing that I am concerned about. When the Galaxy S4 came out I read multiple reviews/impressions where people just felt Samsung went too far with junking up the phone/UI. In short, too many gimmicks and useless crap on the phone.

After using my DNA for almost a year it bugs the crap out of me all the junk that is on there that I can't get rid of. I knew the situation when I bought it, but over time it has bugged me more. So while the Note 3 looks great, I am thinking my next Android phone will probably need to be a Nexus or maybe one of the Google Play edition type phones.

I would also consider an iOS phone again if Apple were to make a larger screen available but I am not holding my breath on that.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 08:12 AM

I would also consider an iOS phone again if Apple were to make a larger screen available but I am not holding my breath on that.

Only thing holding me back from going back to the iPhone

Ronald J Epstein

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,632 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:12 AM

When the Galaxy S4 came out I read multiple reviews/impressions where people just felt Samsung went too far with junking up the phone/UI. In short, too many gimmicks and useless crap on the phone.

I took care of those concerns by installing the Nova Launcher on the phone.  It's smooth, fast, and looks and behaves the way I want it to.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:20 AM

I love the Nova Launcher as well, but it does crash from time to time which makes me kind of think twice about wanting to install it again on the Galaxy Note III.

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,632 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:21 AM

I've never had Nova Launcher crash on me.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yeah...multiple times on my Note II.

Then again, I have a crapload of apps and perhaps one is not playing nice.

Ronald J Epstein

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted September 12 2013 - 07:06 AM

Its funny you mention Nova Launcher, I am using that on my DNA as well. Never had it crash.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 11:17 AM

So happy I was not forced to stand on line today, outside a store, to get

an iPhone.

What the hell is Apple thinking making their customers do that?Then they only have a limited amount of Gold phones?  Their flagship

store in San Francisco only had 12.

I am looking forward to receiving my Note III in the mail, on or before

release day, delivered by AT&T.

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 2,098 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted September 20 2013 - 12:54 PM

For all of you frustrated by the junk on your phone, flashing custom images is pretty straightforward. I do this to every android phone I own. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HTF mobile app

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted October 01 2013 - 08:28 AM

Ars has a review of the Note 3 up and found some troubling issues.

-Keith

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:54 AM

Think Ars got a bum phone.  Nobody in the Android forums who already

received their Note 3 is experiencing any of these problems.

Here are other reviews that don't express any negatives -- including battery life:Android Central: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 review (European version) | Android CentralDroid-Life: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review – Droid LifeThe Verge: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 review | The VergeEngadget: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 review (global edition)BGR: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review | BGRGizmodo: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review: Biggerer and BettererCNET: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review - Watch CNET's Video ReviewPhandroid: Galaxy Note 3 ReviewWashington Post: Samsung Galaxy Gear, Galaxy Note 3: Review - The Washington PostTechnoBuffalo (FI): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 First Impressions: So Much Phone, So Many Features | TechnoBuffaloZDNet: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review: World's most capable Android smartphone gets even better | ZDNetGigOm: Galaxy Note 3 review: To ink or not to ink? That is the question. — Tech News and Analysis

Ronald J Epstein

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 06:49 AM

By the way...

I have to say that I absolutely LOVE my Galaxy Note III.

It has gotten to the point that I don't miss the iPhone brand one iota.

This is an incredibly fast and versatile phone.  Best I have ever owned!

Ronald J Epstein

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,995 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 13 2013 - 12:22 PM

How is the battery life, Ron? I am due for a new phone, and my biggest issue with my current Motorola Droad Razr has been the battery life. I am considering the Droid Maxx for this reason, but am always looking for alternatives.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 12:24 PM

Scott,

Surprisingly, battery life has been pretty damn good.  

I suppose it has everything to do with what kind of apps you are running.

I like live wallpapers, and that tends to drain the battery faster.  

Ronald J Epstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users