Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FM?

Blu-ray DVD Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Number 6

Number 6

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted September 06 2013 - 08:02 PM

Just curious if anyone has any word on a decent release (heck, I'd even take a good DVD) of the movie FM, from 1978. A blu would be the dream, for sure, but something tells me that this thing is being held up by (several) music rights issues. (A fantastic soundtrack.)

Something of a cult favourite, not a blockbuster, not by any means, I remember it being a fun, solid film that really worked in the (loud) theatre. The sequence with Queen's "We Will Rock You" was goose-bump inducing. (Though, that could have been the volume in the theatre and the fact I was 14. :) )

There is a (really expensive) out of print DVD: http://www.amazon.co...keywords=fm dvd

Edited by Number 6, September 06 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#2 of 10 Number 6

Number 6

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted September 06 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hmmm.... on the other hand... reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Could be I'm remembering this through the lens of a that 14 year old amazed to hear a cool soundtrack played loudly in a theatre. :) 

But on yet another hand, the reviews for it on Amazon are decent.

Anyway, any word on this--or even a line on an affordable copy of the DVD--would be appreciated!

Edited by Number 6, September 06 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#3 of 10 Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 329 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted September 07 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'd also love a Blu-ray disc of this.  Like Number 6, I was a teenager (16) when I saw this.  It was in a "movie theater" in Thedford, Nebraska, when the family was camping in the nearby National Forest.  It was actually an insurance agent's office that became the town's theater on Friday and Saturday nights, complete with what seemed to be a bed sheet on the wall for a screen.  Anyway, the parents dropped us off while they went out for steaks and beer, and all I remember is having a great time.

And yes, this is one of the all-time great rock'n'roll soundtracks.  Still gets a lot of play here.

- Mark

#4 of 10 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 07 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hmmm.... on the other hand... reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Could be I'm remembering this through the lens of a that 14 year old amazed to hear a cool soundtrack played loudly in a theatre. :)

But on yet another hand, the reviews for it on Amazon are decent.

Anyway, any word on this--or even a line on an affordable copy of the DVD--would be appreciated!

Yes this is certainly a movie to look at through rosé colored lens, but I love it. This was the first film
I saw in Dolby Stereo. I have fond memories if this and the soundtrack.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 10 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,997 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 09:40 PM

My friend has this DVD but it's rotted and no longer plays. I have the letterboxed laserdisc, which at least I can still watch.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#6 of 10 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:41 AM

I thought I had this one in a Roger Corman collection, but I was mixing it up with Gasssssss. I'd buy this if it got a release, maybe email/post on Shout Factory  facebook page about it. They recently put out a blu of "Roadie", so this title should certainly be in their wheelhouse.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#7 of 10 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,904 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 09 2013 - 10:08 AM

FM, Detroit Rock City...many movies of this ilk could be released as a "combo Blu pack" if certain heads that be would work together...(ha ha).

Here's a few that would work together...

Rock Star

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Rock of Ages(already out, but does it sell?)

"Something Abba"

FM

DRC

Spinal Tap(stands on it own and already out)

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar(technically not the same theme...but, if you include Hedwig...)

You could add more

#8 of 10 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,873 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 11 2013 - 05:56 AM

FM would be ripe for someone like Shout! Factory to release.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#9 of 10 Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 05:13 PM

An official FM release would also now memorialize something gone forever: a live singing performance by Linda Ronstadt.

:(

I recall "Tumbling Dice" and perhaps one other number?

• JohnMor likes this

#10 of 10 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,117 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 13 2013 - 08:38 AM

An official FM release would also now memorialize something gone forever: a live singing performance by Linda Ronstadt.

I recall "Tumbling Dice" and perhaps one other number?

Yep, "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, DVD, Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users