What's new

Sony Opens its streaming 4K Video Store (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
This is pretty interesting.

Sony has launched their Video Unlimited 4K, a video download service that will offer more than 100 titles in the Ultra HD format for rent or purchase by the end of the year.

The service requires the Sony FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD Media Player, which sells for $699.99, but unfortunately is only compatible with Sony-made 4K sets.

The Sony 4K media player comes pre-loaded with 10 movies, including The Amazing Spider-Man, That's My Boy, Total Recall 2012, Taxi Driver and The Bridge on the River Kwai, and a collection of 4K video shorts. Sony said 24-hour 4K movie rentals start at $7.99, with purchases starting at $29.99. The 4K store is starting off with a library of about 70 Ultra HD films and TV shows.

The media player’s on-board 2 terabyte hard drive should fit about 45 full-length UHD feature films. To attempt to alleviate customer pain with usage-based broadband restrictions that could cost extra costs for customers, Sony is using proprietary compression encoding technology developed by Eye IO.

I don't know about you, but this is the first and only reason thus far that I would buy a 4K TV. The fact that it is all tied up into proprietary Sony hardware, IMO, means that the service won't really become mainstream. Why Sony doesn't allow the media player to work with non-Sony 4K units is besides me.

I guess I need to see it, but some previous posts showed that expert reviewers couldn't really tell the difference from a HDTV and a UHD TV, unless their nose was to the screen.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have no use for this, but Sony did say the service will be UV enabled, at least the 4K content will. I hope they add the HD movies from the Sony Network as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks