What's new

Robocop Reboot (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The original was so perfect, I can't see a reboot being necessary.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm uncertain about the trailer. The original is far better than it should have been, with both unexpected pathos in Peter Weller's performance and a biting satire perfect for the Reaganomic '80s. But because it's dated in effects and politics, there's an opportunity to update and bring something equally excellent. But this trailer looks like its been put through the Hollywood plot-o-matic. He's got to connect with his son. And kill lots of other robocops. And overcome and rewrite the system.Still, I'll wait and see. I hope for something good.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The stop-motion effects of ED-209 were great.

I'm glad that the Criterion cut is preserved on blu-ray.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I wasn't that interested in this, but the trailer actually looks decent. Well, I guess that's worth a look

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The trailer gives the impression that it could be a good film with a different take on Robocop, i.e. free will versus fully programmed control but it also gives a strong impression that the good might be overwhelmed by distracting and badly written side stories like having to deal with his wife and son.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The original was good because Paul Verhoeven made it work. Remove Verhoeven, and you have a bad Z grade script that does not work. That script was refused by all the Hollywood directory in alphabetical order. That why Verhoeven got it, he was in the last batch, and he actually trew it in the dustbin after reading it (his wife picked it up, and convinced him he could make it his).

To reboot without Verhoeven can't work, whatever twist and different take they go with. Paul Verhoeven created Robocop.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ick!

Even though my favorite actress Abbie Cornish is in it, I still don't care to see it!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
HDvision said:
The original was good because Paul Verhoeven made it work. Remove Verhoeven, and you have a bad Z grade script that does not work. That script was refused by all the Hollywood directory in alphabetical order. That why Verhoeven got it, he was in the last batch, and he actually trew it in the dustbin after reading it (his wife picked it up, and convinced him he could make it his).
The original script happened because Ed Neumeier tried and failed to get the rights to the culty over-the-top Judge Dredd comic from DC, and had to make up his own instead. Dang, he came pretty darn close. :lol: (Robo's helmet even looks like a Judge helmet, and one of his prime directives is to uphold THE LAW.)

Paul Verhoeven could make that movie, and did, but here, looks like the remake producers decided to just cut corners and make the humorless Robocop remake look like the humorless Judge Dredd remake.
I dunno, is it just the fact that Reagan isn't president anymore, and we're not as pessimistic and cynical about conservative class systems, that 80's remakes have completely lost their sense of humor/satire? The humorless Death Race remake was bad enough, but when we had a humorless Total Recall remake also trying to look slick preening, and Serious, we've got actors who're just unclear on the concept.
(And it makes me want to go back and beat up Superman Returns that every hero now wants to look martyred, human and complex by having a SON....)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Wow. That's the best they could do for a trailer? I was interested until now. It looks humorless, cliched, and way too melodramatic. This actually looks worse than the total recall remake. And that was awful.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the trailer looks okay but i worry about the PG-13 certificate, some films just need that R rating to work at their best.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm willing to be that it will at least be better than ROBOCOP 2 and 3. I'm certainly happier with a remake than a fourth film.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I'm willing to be that it will at least be better than ROBOCOP 2 and 3. I'm certainly happier with a remake than a fourth film.
You win this year's award for a fresh expression of very low expectations, Michael.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
RobertR said:
You win this year's award for a fresh expression of very low expectations, Michael.
Just wait until the Highlander reboot gets off the ground, that exact same statement will completely apply.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They kept the hand! I was hoping for an R-rating myself, I fear for the watered down treatment of this property.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Saw the trailer today at Riddick 3 (which I liked).

This looks terrible, with none of the satire Verhoeven wove into the original. First Total Recall, now this. Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks