What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (2 Viewers)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
... and still no news of a blu-ray release? COME ON. :angry:

Outer-limits-bug-eye.jpg

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I don't believe the episodes have ever been remastered since the first releases on VHS and laserdisc.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I own The Outer Limits three times (once on VHS and twice on DVD). Although I own the double-sided discs (North American release), I really wanted it on single-sided discs as this series is among my top three all-time favorite television shows. It was a poster on this Forum who alerted me to the British release on single-sided discs, which I was only too happy to purchase. I wonder if a blu-ray release could come from them as well?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
God, I feel old. But I can still remember being a kid waiting for Friday nights to see this show during it's first broadcast run, and then having nightmares later that night... and then couldn't wait to have them again next week. Watching the show later and older, you appreciate the stories, acting, writing and especially the awesome cinematography, if not the 'monster' or 'bear' of the week. I can only surmise some rights issues (including a current owner who doesn't care) are holding up why this isn't in Blu-ray yet since it obviously has a rabid cult following almost, if not up to, "The Twilight Zone," "The Prisoner," "Star Trek," "Space 1999" and other sci-fi shows already released on BD.I've posted this link before, but here's a great website that reviews every episode in depth, and with illuminating commentary on posts from noted science fiction writers: http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/Hey, this is my 1,000th post! Do I earn a stripe? I saved it for this show, also one of my top 3 ever.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Hollywoodaholic said:
God, I feel old. But I can still remember being a kid waiting for Friday nights to see this show during it's first broadcast run, and then having nightmares later that night... and then couldn't wait to have them again next week. Watching the show later and older, you appreciate the stories, acting, writing and especially the awesome cinematography, if not the 'monster' or 'bear' of the week. I can only surmise some rights issues (including a current owner who doesn't care) are holding up why this isn't in Blu-ray yet since it obviously has a rabid cult following almost, if not up to, "The Twilight Zone," "The Prisoner," "Star Trek," "Space 1999" and other sci-fi shows already released on BD.I've posted this link before, but here's a great website that reviews every episode in depth, and with illuminating commentary on posts from noted science fiction writers: http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/Hey, this is my 1,000th post! Do I earn a stripe? I saved it for this show, also one of my top 3 ever.
Unless you live in a city that aired the program on a delay, "The Outer Limits" aired on Monday nights on ABC (7:30 PM) for the first season and then on Saturday nights at 7:30 PM for the second season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Who owns the rights? Is it MGM still? They've gotten over their bankruptcy issues, no?Scott, I have the laserdiscs of TOL still! A blu ray release is definitely in order!

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have the individual VHS tape releases, I have the laserdisc boxed sets, and I have every U.S. DVD release. Blu-ray would be great but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hollywoodaholic,I issued you two stripes (one for your 1,000th post and one for the content of the post itself). :)Nelson,I actually never owned the laserdiscs. That's great. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unless you live in a city that aired the program on a delay, "The Outer Limits" aired on Monday nights on ABC (7:30 PM) for the first season and then on Saturday nights at 7:30 PM for the second season.
Right, Saturday, second season. Probably confused it with "Star Trek" at 10 p.m. Fridays. Another reminder of how old the brain is. But I remember my best friend used to come over for sleepovers to watch, so it was a night we could stay up late after.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My folks would often drive (about 40 miles) over to a work friends place on Saturdays (they had three kids around my age, so of course we hung out together) and would spend the night. One of the highlights of the day was watching The Outer Limits on Saturday evening. We (the kids) were all pretty young so the 'bear' would invariably scare the heck out of us. Good times.

As I posted before, a pristine version of The Outer Limits on Blu-Ray is my number one wish list title/series.

(I still have my Laserdisc sets courtesy of Ebay, and the original U.S. DVD release.)

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You can put me down for a blu-ray edition of the Outer Limits as well. No more double-sided discs!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
fanzine I wrote
Nicely done.

from the bubble gum cards as models

Another Outer Limits memory... Collecting the Topps Outer Limits cards back in my childhood. I didn't collect the entire set, and I have no idea what ever became of them as I know they did not survive my childhood, but I remember being creeped out by the monsters on the cards.

- Walter.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nelson Au said:
Who owns the rights? Is it MGM still? They've gotten over their bankruptcy issues, no?Scott, I have the laserdiscs of TOL still!A blu ray release is definitely in order!
IIRC, Fox is responsible for the MGM releases.

So, good luck with Blu.

Fox distribution deal aside, Outer Limits would be great on Blu, with a nice new remastering.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hollywood,Fantastic fanzine! Very nicely done. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A blu ray with not only great mastering, but with audio commentaries as David Schow did for The Twilight Zone blu ray sets. Martin Landau would be great to have to hear his experiences. Robert Culp and Arlene Martel, Grace Lee Whitney and as many of the actors as possible. But this is just a dream of course. The DVD's don't look too bad, even a minor effort would be great.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'd love to see the recently unearthed Stefano/Landau collaboration as a bonus, as long as we are making our dream set.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
When I was a kid, watching this show, my dream was to own the episodes somehow. Then, when I got my first VCR in 1980, it was the first show I ever recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks