What's new

Dancing with the Stars Season 17 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Another season of Dancing with the Stars starts September 16. The new Dancing with the Stars cast was announced today. Some new pros were announced too, at least some I wasn't familiar with.

And a list of stars that are mostly known.

Elizabeth Berkley Film & television actress Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Corbin Bleu Former Disney star Karina Smirnoff
Brant Daugherty Pretty Little Liars actor Peta Murgatroyd
Bill Engvall Comedian & singer Emma Slater
Valerie Harper Award-winning actress Tristan MacManus
Keyshawn Johnson Former NFL wide receiver Sharna Burgess
Christina Milian Singer & TV hostess Mark Ballas
Bill Nye Science educator & host Tyne Stecklein
Jack Osbourne Media personality Cheryl Burke
Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi Jersey Shore star Sasha Farber
Leah Remini Television actress Tony Dovolani
Amber Riley Glee actress & singer Derek Hough

Most of the cast looks capable. I hadn't done any searching yet, surprised some of the pros didn't return. Let the predictions begin.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
It's a pretty good cast as far as it goes - those still waiting to see 'A'-list stars on DWTS should realize it's not going to happen. My disappointment is in the pro dancer lineup - too many troop dancers and unknowns. I knew Kym and Maks were not coming back this season, and Anna Trebunskaya is pregnant, but where's Chelsie Hightower?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that the show is loosing some of its steam and ratings. While its still a big show with fans and still a prestige show for ABC, the changes this season to one show a week and other changes make me suspect that the producers were forced to cut the pros as their budget may not have been enough to justify keeping all the pros. So some had to go and the lower paid troop dancers got their chance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nelson Au said:
I suspect that the show is loosing some of its steam and ratings. While its still a big show with fans and still a prestige show for ABC, the changes this season to one show a week and other changes make me suspect that the producers were forced to cut the pros as their budget may not have been enough to justify keeping all the pros. So some had to go and the lower paid troop dancers got their chance.
A show cutting budget by dropping high cost people...that never happens...

Dmitry, Witney and Chelsie are on SYTYCD. Last time Dmitry choreographed on SYTYCD, he missed the fall DWTS. That affects three dancers.

Even if Witney was one and done, she nabbed a movie role.

Chelsie supposedly wanted to go back and teach, no harm there.

I think the resurgence of SYTYCD(cause it had to fight for season 9 to exist) and its "looser commitment" from pro-talent lends itself to the style Dmitry was after.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about SYTYCD. I never watch it, but it makes sense that the DWTS pros would go there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Pretty impressive start to the new season.I missed Leah Remini's dance but saw most of the others. Bill Nye sure got crushing reviews. But if the people were really supporting him as they showed, he's probably surviving a few more weeks.Valerie Harper is also potentially safe because of her uplifting effort. Derek as usual can bring the best out of his partners. So that leaves one of the stronger dancers in jeopardy next week perhaps.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I actually thought Ingvall was pretty good. Better than his score.Highlight of the night..."You're like a little pocket rocket..."Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ingvall had goot musicality, just needed some more performance polish to rein in some of his quirks.

Need more Tyne, so hopefully Twitter-verse will keep Nye on the show.

Jack was okay.

Keyshawn was a disappointment given his NFL pedigree (in comparison to other NFL players who have been on the show).

Snooki was good, didn't have any anxiety show on the dance floor.

Elizabeth got under-scored, if she sticks around, I see her doing well.

Amber got score a little too high, now the pressure is really on to maintain that high bar.

Valerie is the feel-good story of the season, please don't let her die during this season.

Brant needs to pick it up if we are to get more Peta time.

Karina's partner will keep things interesting for her, I suspect, if his Disney fanbase can keep him on the show.

Leah danced a little too cautiously.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Keyshawn looked as interested as Master P from eons ago.Jack is a wild card. Has his MS diminished his faculties? If not yet, he needs to do better. If yes, that was quite good.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember Keyshawn or Ingvall's performance last week, but from what I saw last night, Keyshawn seemed to be better then Ingvall. Bill Nye has a nice ability to create a persona during his dance and certainly is an audience pleaser, but his content sure seemed slim. I would think his pro partner would be better to get serious soon and teach Bill more moves.I was so worried Valerie would either fall or something else, she obviously didn't get through her routine as practiced as the judges saw. I hope she can keep improving.Looks like the Leah Remini story will be the one the producers will enjoy as it catches the headlines.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ingvall has more musicality than Keyshawn, who is a pretty boring dancer. I'll gladly stomach more Nye time for some Tyne time.

I'm on the edge of my seat when I watch Valerie dance, for all the wrong reasons. But that was a nice touch of honest emotion from her dance partner, just watching her practicing her moves in practice.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I guess I must have subconsciencely tuned out Keyshawn's dances so that tells me he wasn't as engaging as the others as you guys have said!Agreed Pat about Tyne! But I think Bill has been entertaining himself as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bill dances like he would dance like at an ice rink, always trying to stop himself before he slides into something or someone. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Now the news is reporting that Bill Nye may exit because he injured his knee when he slipped and fell in his routine Monday night. An MRI is being done to determine his health. Hype or reality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nelson Au said:
Now the news is reporting that Bill Nye may exit because he injured his knee when he slipped and fell in his routine Monday night. An MRI is being done to determine his health. Hype or reality?
BothSent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Just wanted to pop in quickly to say that Karina's outfit last night was absolutely amazing!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Also, I am pissed that Sharna keeps getting paired with dancers that exit early. Next season, give her the ringer!!! :wub:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The doctor says Bill is through, his knee is damaged, but he and Tyne say they will be back. I guess we see on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks