What's new

CBS Press Release: Petticoat Junction Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
pet.jpeg

Celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, the first season of the classic series entirely in color, Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season DVD will be exclusively available at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club locations nationwide. Set in the small farming town of Hooterville, the hugely popular classic comedy follows the widowed owner of the Shady Rest Hotel and her three beautiful daughters. Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season introduces Gunilla Hutton and Lori Saunders to the cast as Billie Jo and Bobbie Jo, joining series regulars Bea Benaderet, Edgar Buchanan and Linda Kaye Henning.

DVD BASICS

[*]Specifications: Full Screen Format, Dolby Digital: English Mono, and English SDH Subtitles
[*]Rating: Not Rated
[*]Runtime: 11 hours, 27 minutes
[*]Suggested Retail Price: $19.96 U.S.
[*]Release Date: October 1, 2013
[/list]
Walmart Preorder Here

Waiting for Possible Amazon Preorder

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm really not a fan of the rural sitcoms, but I will get Petticoat Junction which I liked more than the others. What I think is really interesting though is how both of these seasons are the 1965-1966 season which may hold the record for most titles from a single vintage year with an official DVD release.

Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke Show
The Virginian
I Spy
Combat!
McHale's Navy
Patty Duke Show
My Favorite Martian
Get Smart!
I Dream Of Jeannie
Bewitched
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Lost In Space
The Fugitive
Wild, Wild West
The Big Valley
The FBI
F Troop
Gomer Pyle USMC
Flipper
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
Daniel Boone
The Man From UNCLE
Laredo
Gilligan's Island
Gidget
The Lucy Show
Perry Mason

We're just two years away from Gunsmoke and one year away from Bonanza being added to this list. And if we get long-term the full run of "Dr. Kildare" we can add that and if "Batman" ever makes it to DVD that's potentially 36 titles from the one season alone. Well over a third of all the programs that made it to air that year (and a higher percentage if one leaves out news/variety/game shows)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'll probably pick this up, too. I've never been quite as crazy about PJ as I was TBH but I feel like picking up PJ is a vote for the Henning franchise and it hopefully will help convince CBS there is a market for both shows.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron1973 said:
I'll probably pick this up, too. I've never been quite as crazy about PJ as I was TBH but I feel like picking up PJ is a vote for the Henning franchise and it hopefully will help convince CBS there is a market for both shows.
I like both series, and will be buying both, so I want my vote to count toward convincing Fox to release seasons 4-6 of Green Acres.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Very happy!!! And to think they've kept it a secret this long since the release date is only a month away.
I like the cover art. It's a different style than the first two releases.
A bit confused about the walmart exclusive. Does it just mean they just get to release it first and other stores will get it at some later date--sort of like Time Life?
Great price, too--but it doesn't say how many discs in the set.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
I'm really not a fan of the rural sitcoms, but I will get Petticoat Junction which I liked more than the others. What I think is really interesting though is how both of these seasons are the 1965-1966 season which may hold the record for most titles from a single vintage year with an official DVD release.

Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke Show
The Virginian
I Spy
Combat!
McHale's Navy
Patty Duke Show
My Favorite Martian
Get Smart!
I Dream Of Jeannie
Bewitched
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Lost In Space
The Fugitive
Wild, Wild West
The Big Valley
The FBI
F Troop
Gomer Pyle USMC
Flipper
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
Daniel Boone
The Man From UNCLE
Laredo
Gilligan's Island
Gidget
The Lucy Show
Perry Mason

We're just two years away from Gunsmoke and one year away from Bonanza being added to this list. And if we get long-term the full run of "Dr. Kildare" we can add that and if "Batman" ever makes it to DVD that's potentially 36 titles from the one season alone. Well over a third of all the programs that made it to air that year (and a higher percentage if one leaves out news/variety/game shows)
Great representation for a great season of TV. By the way, as far a number of releases 64-65 and 66-67 aren't far behind.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season DVD will be exclusively available at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club locations nationwide
That's unfortunate, because at TVShowsOnDVD.com we NEVER cover items which are available only at one brick-and-mortar retailer, at the expense of all the others. If this title becomes available for general release later on, then we will cover it.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Ron Lee Green said:
Very happy!!! And to think they've kept it a secret this long since the release date is only a month away.
I like the cover art. It's a different style than the first two releases.
A bit confused about the walmart exclusive. Does it just mean they just get to release it first and other stores will get it at some later date--sort of like Time Life?
Great price, too--but it doesn't say how many discs in the set.
Ron, who is that in your avatar? Meredith MacRae?

I also notice at Sitcoms Online, you have a picture of someone in TV Magazine in your avatar. Is it also Meredith as well?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
IntoIt said:
Ron, who is that in your avatar? Meredith MacRae?

I also notice at Sitcoms Online, you have a picture of someone in TV Magazine in your avatar. Is it also Meredith as well?
Looks like The Farmer's Daughter (Inger Stevens) to me.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
David Lambert said:
That's unfortunate, because at TVShowsOnDVD.com we NEVER cover items which are available only at one brick-and-mortar retailer, at the expense of all the others. If this title becomes available for general release later on, then we will cover it.
David, can you tell me why this policy exists? Walmart is not an exclusive club and is accessible to anyone; to me, Time-Life has a more prohibitive purchase scheme, and I was under the impression you report their initial offerings. Also, your website title is TV shows on DVD, not TV shows on DVD available through mass purchase ... Thanks.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
shoeshineboy said:
David, can you tell me why this policy exists? Walmart is not an exclusive club and is accessible to anyone; to me, Time-Life has a more prohibitive purchase scheme, and I was under the impression you report their initial offerings. Also, your website title is TV shows on DVD, not TV shows on DVD available through mass purchase ... Thanks.
David, no offense, but what he's saying makes sense. We've waited quite a while for CBS HE to do the right thing (4 1/2 years on Hillbillies) and those of us who are die-hard fans of the Henning shows want these to be successful. Members of the public who aren't members of this forum may well depend on you guys. I don't want CBS HE to have any excuse not to give us the remainder of the seasons of these classic shows. I could understand if this were a club deal (like the old Columbia House) but many of us do are buying at Walmart as does the public. I really wish you would reconsider! :cool:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have to agree. Why were Shout Select titles and Shout titles with exclusive bonus discs you could ONLY get from them mentioned but not this? I can even remember plugging the one volume six episode set of "The Bill Dana Show" that you could only get from Bill Dana's own website. With all due respect, that is a terrible policy and what's more it amounts to withholding of simple, basic news information.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
David Lambert said:
This is one of those policies of yours, which I have never understood. What's the total number of DVD releases this has affected? It's got to be less than 20. The only reason I can think of is that you don't want to offend advertisers, which I guess makes sense given you get a lot of advertising from Amazon, and the exclusivity policy doesn't seem to apply to Amazon. Still, given that most exclusives show up at Amazon from third party sellers, I'm not sure that they would care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks