• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#121 of 142 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 11:24 AM

I did notice the little "some music may have been replaced" disclaimer on both the new PJ & BH sets...so what else is new?

#122 of 142 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 08:41 PM

Exactly the point my friend made. Mike Minor did a lot of singing in later seasons (and even on one crossover episode with TBH). It also worries me with TBH because Flatt and Scruggs made several appearances and Pat Boone made an appearance also.

I could live without Mike Minor's solos, but Flat and Scruggs deletions would be bad.  Most of all, I want Roy Clark's version of The Great Pretender from season 7.  It's probably my favorite moment from that season and, interestingly, he does it in a very similar style to this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jGlyn4XfHPQ.

#123 of 142 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 07:41 AM

I didn't notice any replaced music (admittedly, I haven't watched every episode). But I also don't think the obscure, corny songs performed in later seasons should pose much of a clearance problem with the music. After all, CBS already had to license a song by The Beatles for Season One. It doesn't get more expensive than that. BTW, the Season Three episodes look stunning. Bright, rich colors, sharp focus, nothing short of amazing.

#124 of 142 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 11:13 AM

I hope CBS is able to clear the musical episodes.

I remember one episode later in the series where the girls performed "Up, Up and Away in My Beautiful Balloon."

Betty Jo was pregnant and the girls tried to hide her condition from the audience by covering her belly with balloons while singing the song.

There's no way, CBS could replace the music or cut that scene out of the episode because the whole story depends on it. It is the big build-up to the whole episode.

P.S. I am ashamed to admit that I watched two episodes with the Douglases as guests, and I didn't even notice that CBS replaced the Green Acres theme. And here I thought I was a big PJ fan. I watched the show daily on me-tv and even recorded all the episodes so you would think that I would have noticed such a thing.

Edited by Ron Lee Green, October 05 2013 - 11:24 AM.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#125 of 142 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted October 05 2013 - 11:22 AM

I also remember an episode where Betty Jo and Steve perform "No Two People Have Ever Been So Love."

And I do remember the episode with "Up, Up and Away", where Bilie Jo comments on Betty Jo's delicate condition by saying "When we sing 'Up Up and Away' they'll know *she's* not going.'"

#126 of 142 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 11:53 AM

I haven't picked up the PJ set yet but a friend of mine has. Apparently there has been a small amount of music replacement. He's noticed every time Mr. and Mrs. Douglas are in a scene, some sort of synthesizer music plays. He checked his recordings from ME-TV and they play the "Green Acres" theme on those recordings. Apparently, they replaced the music on the DVD's.

Well, here we go again.    CBS even now still believes in cutting corners wherever they can with their releases.     I would rather they follow the Warner model of take their time to clear everything before they release anything at all.

#127 of 142 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:17 PM

Well, here we go again.    CBS even now still believes in cutting corners wherever they can with their releases.     I would rather they follow the Warner model of take their time to clear everything before they release anything at all.

Perhaps they tried to clear it? I'm not the biggest fan of CBS but perhaps Fox wasn't the most amicable to deal with for the song rights?

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#128 of 142 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 517 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:47 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Warners match the remastering performed on many of the CBS releases.  I suppose they could both still learn a little something from the other.

• Gary OS and Jeff Willis like this

#129 of 142 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 03:35 PM

I can see them not wanting to pay for incidental music that honestly isn't missed. A musical performance is a different matter. The remastering is phenomenal on both this and the Hillbillies set. I saw details I never noticed before. I did find it strange that none of the original airdates were listed with the synopses though. On either set.

#130 of 142 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just watched episode 7, "A Doctor In The House". The Green Acres theme is definitely present.

#131 of 142 OFFLINE   John Karras

John Karras

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 04:29 PM

But I also don't think the obscure, corny songs performed in later seasons should pose much of a clearance problem with the music. After all, CBS already had to license a song by The Beatles for Season One.

Obscure or corny has nothing to do with it. Many of the "corny" songs, as you claim, they sang are known American standards and the publishers will charge what they will. Let's see if they can clear "Love and Marriage" for one of the episodes in an upcoming season.

#132 of 142 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 04:38 PM

If they can clear The Beatles, that shouldn't be a big deal. And like I said, the Green Acres theme actually is present in at least one episode.

#133 of 142 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted October 06 2013 - 09:15 AM

^Don't bet on it.  You hear Beatles songs *everywhere* (especially on commercials by people who can't create) because the rights got sold years ago to people who have no respect for "art" and are just after a quick buck.  I'd bet it cost more to license "Love and Marriage" than the most expensive Beatles song in the catalog.

#134 of 142 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 11:10 AM

Just watched episode 7, "A Doctor In The House". The Green Acres theme is definitely present.

That's strange that they would use the Green Acres music for one episode and not the others.

I wonder if they just didn't spot it like the others or someone goofed and forgot to replace it?

If so, they will probably "fix" it so that future pressings won't have the theme.

Right now, its a walmart exclusive, but they might take the theme out when it becomes available from other outlets so I guess we're lucky we got at least one episode with it..

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#135 of 142 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 12:03 PM

Meh. I don't really care if the theme is there or not. The transfers are amazing.

#136 of 142 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,611 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 06 2013 - 04:50 PM

I did notice the little "some music may have been replaced" disclaimer on both the new PJ & BH sets...so what else is new?

There's also a disclaimer that, "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions." Whether that's restricted to a few music replacements, or just a "cover your *ss" inclusion in case mistakes were made, remains to be seen. Found plenty of copies of this and TBH at Walmart yesterday.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#137 of 142 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 568 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 04:31 PM

I haven't picked up the PJ set yet but a friend of mine has. Apparently there has been a small amount of music replacement. He's noticed every time Mr. and Mrs. Douglas are in a scene, some sort of synthesizer music plays. He checked his recordings from ME-TV and they play the "Green Acres" theme on those recordings. Apparently, they replaced the music on the DVD's.

Just curious about this, and I apologize if this has been answered before, but if so it's eluded me. But how exactly did Green Acres end up being under different ownership and/or distribution from the other two series in the first place?

(Other than the above, sounds good for these sets. I need to catch up, I only have the MPI releases and Season 1 of Green Acres so far. And the sequel TV movie Return To Green Acres, which I picked up in one of those Wal-Mart bins.)

#138 of 142 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 08:01 PM

Just curious about this, and I apologize if this has been answered before, but if so it's eluded me. But how exactly did Green Acres end up being under different ownership and/or distribution from the other two series in the first place?

(Other than the above, sounds good for these sets. I need to catch up, I only have the MPI releases and Season 1 of Green Acres so far. And the sequel TV movie Return To Green Acres, which I picked up in one of those Wal-Mart bins.)

I don't know.  I assume that when Paul Henning was developing Green Acres, MGM or some other production company that was absorbed into MGM made him a better deal.  Maybe Filmways wasn't developing new shows by the time of GA.

#139 of 142 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 10:42 PM

Green Acres was a Filmways production.  Filmways was acquired by Orion in 1982.  To avoid bankruptcy in the 1990s, Orion sold many of its assets.  They sold most of the Filmways product to MGM.  That's how Green Acres ended up there.

So the question isn't why is Green Acres MGM, but why aren't The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction?

It's because long before Orion acquired Filmways, CBS had bought the rights to those two series.

Of course, someone was asleep over at CBS and let the first season and a half of Hillbillies fall into the public domain.  That's how MPI was able to release those episodes using copies from Paul Henning's personal collection.

#140 of 142 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,229 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction had a different ownership percentage deal between Filmways and Paul Henning. Henning created both shows and he had a very advantageous agreement regarding them. Green Acres was created by Jay Sommers and, although Henning certainly owned a piece of it, it was primarily a Filmways property so it went to Orion and MGM with the rest of the library. The earlier shows were distributed by Filmways, but I believe Henning had controlling ownership. They went through Viacom for syndicated distribution and that deal seems to have led to CBS Home Entertainment having the DVD rights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users