• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 of 142 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 05 2013 - 01:55 PM

I just saw this on Facebook and it does seem odd. Petticoat Junction was 34 episodes that season according to the syndication bible. Eleven hours and 27 minutes seems like a short running time. Even figuring a running time of 22 minutes (if they're edited/time compressed) doesn't even add up.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#42 of 142 OFFLINE   cherisland

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 05:40 PM

Will the Walmart in Canada carry these titles as well? I'd REALLY like to purchase both.

#43 of 142 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 05:48 PM

This is one of those policies of yours, which I have never understood.  What's the total number of DVD releases this has affected?  It's got to be less than 20.  The only reason I can think of is that you don't want to offend advertisers, which I guess makes sense given you get a lot of advertising from Amazon, and the exclusivity policy doesn't seem to apply to Amazon.  Still, given that most exclusives show up at Amazon from third party sellers, I'm not sure that they would care.

I agree with all of you guys on this subject matter...if they're a website that is specifically dedicated towards reporting important information such as what had just been revealed on here yesterday newswise, then they should be doing that as it is a TV show(s) and a website dedicated to such, especially shows that haven't seen the light of day for 4 + years on the format...and to Dave Lampert... and yet you guys at TVSODVD are withholding such important info to the general public? Was it something personal with certain retail outlets that led for you and Gord to make this choice Dave? Seriously, you and Gord need to amend that policy and make an exception here and there, especially with TBH and PJ now coming out and other classic shows so this way, word gets out, we can buy enough of these sets and have CBS HE and other distributors know there is still a market for them and last I checked, Walmart isn't a club but a huge retailer. Not everyone comes on this specific site and I've heard you (TVSHOWSONDVD) have the most popular site on this subject matter, so you might want to rethink your policies of posting news info and exclusives for stores carrying these titles, so those that follow your site can also know these shows are coming out soon.

Edited by rmw650, September 05 2013 - 05:53 PM.

• Jack P likes this

#44 of 142 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 05:50 PM

Just to put this back on topic, I have to say I do most of my shopping at Drucker's store.  But Sam's bluray selection is pretty slim.

I take it you mean Cracker Barrel?

#45 of 142 OFFLINE   EdG

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 07:19 PM

IMO Gord and Dave want these dvd releases to be just as successful as anyone else who loves classic tv on dvd.  I don't think their intention is to damage sales for the show by not posting news on their website.  It's a policy of theirs. Maybe they will change it maybe they wont but those guys have done so much for so many here over the years with news, getting us fixes/replacement dvds, help with contacting studios and reps etc about issues.  Whether you agree with their policy or not, that website has done more good for tv on dvd than a lot are giving them credit for.  As a huge fan of both shows I understand all the frustration here but I respect their decision.

Edited by EdG, September 05 2013 - 07:32 PM.

• cherisland likes this

#46 of 142 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 07:45 PM

The policy makes no sense.   Why should a label like Shout get free publicity for its "bonus" discs that you can only order direct from their site, which is a far more narrow venue than Walmart stores are if some supposed principle is at stake?    I also don't remember this policy being invoked for Best Buy when they had exclusives.     So the policy therefore is not being applied consistently.      And the issue of what they did in the past, with all due respect, is not a relevant issue.    This gets to the credibility of their website as a news resource.

#47 of 142 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 07:45 PM

I could respect their decision as well if I could understand the justification behind it. As others have already posted, there have been a number of DVD releases with unique circumstances that were covered on their excellent website.

#48 of 142 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 634 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 10:13 PM

POPULAR

Call it like it is. Crap. Based on financial interests only, Period. Soooo many of us have been waiting for these releases for many years and according to the a certain website, it it isn't happening. Gimme a break.

• Jack P, Ron1973 and DaveHof2 like this

#49 of 142 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 02:14 PM

Call it like it is. Crap. Based on financial interests only, Period. Soooo many of us have been waiting for these releases for many years and according to the a certain website, it it isn't happening. Gimme a break.

Yeah, you're right. I want to give them the benefit of the dobut because Gord has been good to me over the years, but there really is no good reason for that policy.

#50 of 142 ONLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 08:05 AM

Will the Walmart in Canada carry these titles as well? I'd REALLY like to purchase both.

If they don't, I am sure there will be several sellers on eBay who will be snapping a bunch of these up to sell immediately. I know of several eBay DVD sellers who deal in bulk and they always have fair prices and reasonable shipping. I will probably get mine there.

While I am thrilled to be getting this, I loathe Walmart and wish a company like MPI who really cares about Classic TV was going to profit from this release instead.

#51 of 142 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 634 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 08:21 AM

Remember when we used to have things like record/CD stores and toy stores? Places where the employees actually knew their product and could answer questions about them than workers who know zero cause they will be called to automotive in an hour. Thanks Sam Walton. I'm sure the folks in line at the unemployment office are very appreciative.

Pardon my off topic rant.

• Suzanne.S likes this

#52 of 142 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 08:55 AM

In this case, I think the fault lies less with Sam Walton than with Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos. The reason we don't have record stores anymore is that people now prefer to buy online (or steal their music online, which was the common practice until a few years ago). But I miss them too.

#53 of 142 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 634 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 09:17 AM

In this case, I think the fault lies less with Sam Walton than with Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos. The reason we don't have record stores anymore is that people now prefer to buy online (or steal their music online, which was the common practice until a few years ago). But I miss them too.

It's not confined to Wal-Mart either, I feel the same about Target. Before I get blasted for being off topic, I want to give one "short" example. I went into target to buy ear buds the other day, and since stores want to be cheap and not adequately staff their stores, I had to take 10 minutes running around the store looking for a worker since their was no staff in the departments anywhere near me. Once I found somebody, I had to wait for them to get keys (which of course they initially had no idea where to find them) to unlock (Cause everybody steals, right?) the cabinet where my 20 dollar ear buds were located. And of course, they couldn't answer any questions about them because they are all floaters who are taught a little about a little. Are you kidding? I remember the days where stores were adequately staffed in most departments and the employees were instructed on the ins and outs of the products in their assigned department so they could help the customer. I have resulted to buying on line as the lesser of two evils.

• Ron1973 and DaveHof2 like this

#54 of 142 OFFLINE   Seanhtf

Seanhtf

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 09:20 AM

That's unfortunate, because at TVShowsOnDVD.com we NEVER cover items which are available only at one brick-and-mortar retailer, at the expense of all the others.  If this title becomes available for general release later on, then we will cover it.

I have to count myself among those to whom this policy makes no sense. How is a title being exclusive to a single brick-and-mortar chain one bit different than a title being exclusive to Shout Select, Warner Archive, or Time-Life? Certainly, these releases will be much more widely available and much easier to get than anything from, say, Warner Archive. Walk into any Walmart or Sam's Club and pick them up. Order them from Walmart.com, for that matter. If the purpose of your website is to present news of releases of TV shows on DVD and Blu-Ray, then I would be genuinely interested to learn your rationale for withholding news based solely on the fact that a single brick-and-mortar outlet will be selling the series. I've always respected TVShowsOnDVD, and if this policy is somehow rooted in the close relationship the site has with Amazon, I would hope you guys would at least be honest enough to be upfront about that. If it isn't, then I think a lot of us would appreciate the logic behind something that seems truly illogical to most of the rest of us.

• Suzanne.S likes this

#55 of 142 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 07 2013 - 10:22 AM

It's not confined to Wal-Mart either, I feel the same about Target. Before I get blasted for being off topic, I want to give one "short" example. I went into target to buy ear buds the other day, and since stores want to be cheap and not adequately staff their stores, I had to take 10 minutes running around the store looking for a worker since their was no staff in the departments anywhere near me. Once I found somebody, I had to wait for them to get keys (which of course they initially had no idea where to find them) to unlock (Cause everybody steals, right?) the cabinet where my 20 dollar ear buds were located. And of course, they couldn't answer any questions about them because they are all floaters who are taught a little about a little. Are you kidding? I remember the days where stores were adequately staffed in most departments and the employees were instructed on the ins and outs of the products in their assigned department so they could help the customer. I have resulted to buying on line as the lesser of two evils.

Totally agreed. I do Walmart ONLY for the bare essentials like washing powder and the like.

My grocery business goes to the local Kroger store. They are ALWAYS adequately staffed and you're never stuck in line behind twenty other people. The employees are always friendly and it seems to be a lot of the same employees month in and month out. One guy has came to know us well enough that if I don't have three teenagers in tow, he'll ask "where's your help today?" It's the kind of service you've came to expect.

I was forced to Walmart one night not too long ago for milk. It was after midnight so Kroger was closed. No real live people working the checkouts, only the self-checkouts. I had to use the stupid self-checkout. Grrr.......

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#56 of 142 ONLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 12:56 PM

I wonder why CBS is making this a Walmart exclusive in the first place?

I don't really care as long as the show gets released, but I think they're probably doing it for a good reason.

I think a lot of stores aren't stocking enough classic tv shows because of shelf space. If this product is a Walmart exclusive, then CBS is guaranteed a certain amount of orders and Walmart is guaranteed to get the sales.

This type of exclusive thing may become the wave of the future--especially for older "niche" shows.

If more and more releases come out as "exclusives," maybe TVshows onDVD.com will rethink their policy and cover these products on their website.

Edited by Ron Lee Green, September 07 2013 - 01:01 PM.

• Ron1973 likes this
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#57 of 142 ONLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm really not a fan of the rural sitcoms, but I will get Petticoat Junction which I liked more than the others.    What I think is really interesting though is how both of these seasons are the 1965-1966 season which may hold the record for most titles from a single vintage year with an official DVD release.

You can add one more to your list. HONEY WEST also belongs on there.

#58 of 142 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 03:43 PM

And that's one of my favorite shows of the year, so silly me for forgettng it!

#59 of 142 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 06:52 PM

And maybe because these shows have a rural theme in nature concept and Wal-Mart being associated with the southern folks around the country, could that be another reason why CBS HE decided to make these two specific titles a WM exclusive? I'm just speculating here. 

#60 of 142 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 07 2013 - 06:57 PM

And maybe because these shows have a rural theme in nature concept and Wal-Mart being associated with the southern folks around the country, could that be another reason why CBS HE decided to make these two specific titles a WM exclusive? I'm just speculating here. 

It could be. Whatever was behind their decision, I simply applaud them for bringing us these titles again. Now if they'll complete them along with Barnaby Jones, I'll be in Classic TV Heaven!  :lol:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users