Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#121 of 214 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 22 2013 - 06:49 AM

LOL.  I wanted to correct the misuse of the word "penultimate," too, but I've been told time and again it's obnoxious to do such a thing.  Yet, on the other hand, how can people learn if they're not taught?  So I'm glad someone else had the courage to be supposedly "obnoxious."

The great problem with language is, being 100% a human invention, words only mean what people think they mean.  Meanings change over time, and probably usually due to misuse.

For instance, few words are as misused as "literally," which most people use as its exact opposite, "figuratively," as in "When they told me THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES Season 4 was coming out, I literally died."  (Now you can't say this is off topic.)

But look now at what has happened to the word "literally":

http://www.salon.com...ively_newscred/

So maybe soon "penultimate" will be defined as "the absolute ultimate," which I guess is what most people think it means now, anyway.

I will now use the words "literally" and "penultimate" correctly in one sentence:

Season 8 of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES was literally the penultimate season.

Yes, yes, yes, but who gets your vote for Possum Queen?!!

#122 of 214 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 07:29 AM

Oh, Granny, all the way.  I have no use for the Mrs. Drysdales of this world.  Granny would make a wonderful Possum Queen.

• JohnMor and Ron1973 like this

#123 of 214 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 22 2013 - 09:18 AM

Oh, Granny, all the way.  I have no use for the Mrs. Drysdales of this world.  Granny would make a wonderful Possum Queen.

"Here's your choice for Possum Queen:  Granny! Granny!

She don't drive no limousine.  Granny all the way!"

And, mind you, I haven't seen this episode since probably 1970.  I guess I really do need to get out more.

• Ron1973 likes this

#124 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 22 2013 - 10:26 AM

"Here's your choice for Possum Queen:  Granny! Granny!

She don't drive no limousine.  Granny all the way!"

And, mind you, I haven't seen this episode since probably 1970.  I guess I really do need to get out more.

Vote her in to stay, come election day..........

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#125 of 214 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,784 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 22 2013 - 10:38 AM

There are threads about the complete show I'm sure. You're not a moderator and the moderators seem to have no issue with this thread taking the twists and turns that it has. As rmw650 suggested, if you are unhappy with the way this thread has gone, feel free to go to another one. Frankly, I don't appreciate a self-appointed wanna be moderator telling me how to or how not to reply in a thread. This thread was started by someone who has the authority to tell me and others to bring the topic back in focus and he hasn't done so. I'll let this stand as my final thoughts as I do not intend to argue and get this thread locked because someone wants to come in and dictate how a thread should go.

Final thoughts yes. Not trying to be a moderator. I had made an off hand comment on how the thread got off season 4 with an Lol thinking it was funny. Evidently it was not thought if as being an off handed comment and I felt a little abused by someone telling me to go some else. I was going to let it all pass and then again someone telling me what I can say and not and I was offended as guess as much as you feel I offended you.

There are way more important things going on than season 4-8 of TBH, like the Saints - Cardinals game. So let's just all go sit by the cement pond and have some of Grannies medicine.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#126 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 22 2013 - 10:42 AM

Final thoughts yes. Not trying to be a moderator. I had made an off hand comment on how the thread got off season 4 with an Lol thinking it was funny. Evidently it was not thought if as being an off handed comment and I felt a little abused by someone telling me to go some else. I was going to let it all pass and then again someone telling me what I can say and not and I was offended as guess as much as you feel I offended you.

There are way more important things going on than season 4-8 of TBH, like the Saints - Cardinals game. So let's just all go sit by the cement pond and have some of Grannies medicine.

The Cardinals should lose for moving out of St. Louis! Lol!!!  :lol:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#127 of 214 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,784 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:15 PM

The Cardinals should lose for moving out of St. Louis! Lol!!! :lol:

They did lose buddy, They did. Granny did some of her black magic and gave Drew Bree's some of her medicine so all is will on Bayou land. 😃
  • Ron1973 likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#128 of 214 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,010 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think I may have been miss understood. The thread went off into the direction on the last couple of seasons and not Season Four. I love talking and reading about the show but the thread title is Season Four. There are other threads that talk about all the seasons.

I see that the the tread has returned to season Four.

No sweat as we just want to get this back on topic and just try and promote the heck out of the show so the more sales it can garner for Season 4, the better the chances we have of seeing a few more seasons come out for this show from CBS HE, as it's just been too long for us in waiting for a new season release of this show to transpire. Healthy discussion of a show we're all so passionate about is a good thing.

• ahollis likes this

#129 of 214 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,010 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well, they did go back to Petticoat Junction in S8. I'm sure PJ's ratings were falling and perhaps they were trying to boost them. Anyway.....

Jethro was imitating a Air Force general (Soupy Sales had guested not too long before as a retiring Air Force officer and I think that his character influenced Jethro) and somehow managed to get the Air Force to fly him on out to Petticoat Junction.

Steve was working on his crop duster and Jethro wanted to fly. Steve told him the engine was "inoperative" to which Jethro replied "well, let's fly on over there and get that rascal!" When Steve recognized who he was, he asked Jethro if he knew what he could get for impersonating a general. Jethro said everyone asked him that, so it must be quite a lot. Steve told him he could get the Federal Pen for it. Jethro's reply? "Unuh! No sir! Uncle Jed don't want me havin' nothin' sharp!"

Ron, I think you may need to correct your post here as I think you meant to say Season 8 of TBH and not PJ, as that only lasted 6 seasons.

#130 of 214 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted September 22 2013 - 03:58 PM

Ron, I think you may need to correct your post here as I think you meant to say Season 8 of TBH and not PJ, as that only lasted 6 seasons.

According to the Wikipedia entry, PJ lasted seven seasons, 1963-1970.  Anyway, I think Ron meant when the Hillbillies went to PJ in the 8th season of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Edited by John Hermes, September 22 2013 - 04:01 PM.

• Ron1973 likes this

#131 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 22 2013 - 05:37 PM

Nothing to correct. When I said "they" I meant The Beverly Hillbillies.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#132 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 22 2013 - 07:30 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NtSfeKxLyCk

Too bad TV Bland was showing butchered episodes.......

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#133 of 214 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted September 24 2013 - 08:23 AM

One week to go guys!

#134 of 214 OFFLINE   PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 08:37 AM

What really hurts Season 4 -- and all the other color seasons -- is the loss of location shooting of the mansion.

Seasons 1-3 made extensive use of the Kirkeby Mansion in Bel Air -- you'd see lots of shots of driving in and out of the gate, the lawn, etc.  Some episodes actually filmed scenes with dialogue there.

According to Paul Henning, right before filming for Season 4 began TV Guide published the address of the real mansion.  It was immediately besieged with tourists, and the owner stopped allowing the show to film there.  

Even the closing credits had to be rethought -- instead of seeing the mansion and then the Clampetts walking out the front door, all you see is the door.

It's a real shame.  Would've been great to see shots like this.

• Rob_Ray and Ron1973 like this

#135 of 214 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,010 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm just happy that after almost 4.5 years of waiting, we're finally going to get a new season of this show and in color for the first time, where the show really starts to peak.

• Ron1973 likes this

#136 of 214 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,649 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted September 25 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sometime over the past week WM put free shipping to your home on TBH S4 and PJ S3 so I went ahead and ordered both.  I was going to "cheap out" and just get them at the store (I'm about a quarter mile from a WM daily) but with free home shipping I couldn't resist. :D

• Ron1973 likes this

#137 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 12:51 PM

Sometime over the past week WM put free shipping to your home on TBH S4 and PJ S3 so I went ahead and ordered both.  I was going to "cheap out" and just get them at the store (I'm about a quarter mile from a WM daily) but with free home shipping I couldn't resist. :D

Thanks! Ordered mine, too. I'd rather have them deliver to my home than having to drive to my nearest Walmart

• Ron1973 likes this
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#138 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 25 2013 - 01:30 PM

Sounds like what I might do, too. On the other hand, I have classes that day and I might be able to drive down to my local Wally World in between IF they have it out already.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#139 of 214 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 05:12 PM

Okay I decided to buy into this title. I see Season 2,3 and now 4 are being released. My question is do you have to buy The Ultimate Collection parts 1 and 2 to have all of the season 1 episodes? Thanks for your comments.

#140 of 214 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 26 2013 - 05:26 PM

My understanding is that you do as well as the Christmas DVD.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users