Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 of 214 Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,168 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 18 2013 - 03:18 PM

I love the Beverly Hillbillies but not enough to use my TBS recordings to restore the replaced music...been there, done that.

#202 of 214 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 05:07 PM

And, finally, a typo alert. On the inside cover listing for "Military School" they didn't proof read. To quote: "However, Jethro doesn't realize it is a school for YOTUNG boys." (emphasis mine)

Perhaps Jethro himself worked on the packaging.

• Ron1973 likes this

#203 of 214 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 09:06 AM

I don't honestly think they have any pride for it sometimes.

Speaking of which did anyone else notice that Constantly Butchering has upgraded its warning with "Music MAY have been replaced..."?  Yeah make us play the guessing game, that's much better...

I have the hopes a previous post expressed about later seasons, but as we've seen, no band or song is sacred to Constantly Butchering Shows.

Edited by JMFabianoRPL, October 22 2013 - 09:17 AM.

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#204 of 214 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:03 PM

They should just state the obvious and say it has been replaced but they could be afraid that would hurt sales of this show and then it gets stuck in purgatory hell one again. Hoping Season 5 will be coming out next year.

#205 of 214 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:26 PM

Speaking of which did anyone else notice that Constantly Butchering has upgraded its warning with "Music MAY have been replaced..."?  Yeah make us play the guessing game, that's much better...

I have the hopes a previous post expressed about later seasons, but as we've seen, no band or song is sacred to Constantly Butchering Shows.

I think somewhere around the Fugitive blow up, CBS started including that qualification on all releases.  It doesn't sound like much has been changed on season 4.

#206 of 214 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,048 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:58 PM

One more episode I found with music replacements is "Jethro Goes to College." Same generic stuff as in the other episode and it's only in two scenes. This one I have, though, unedited on a DVD already made from the Columbia House VHS releases from the late 80's. I just find it weird they could clear all of the Flatt and Scrugg songs as well as the song by Joi Lansing but they can't clear some incidental background music. Oh well, better than nothing!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#207 of 214 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 02:46 AM

One more episode I found with music replacements is "Jethro Goes to College." Same generic stuff as in the other episode and it's only in two scenes. This one I have, though, unedited on a DVD already made from the Columbia House VHS releases from the late 80's. I just find it weird they could clear all of the Flatt and Scrugg songs as well as the song by Joi Lansing but they can't clear some incidental background music. Oh well, better than nothing!

What's replaced?

#208 of 214 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,048 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 23 2013 - 07:53 AM

What's replaced?

Background music in a couple of episodes

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#209 of 214 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 10:31 AM

I think somewhere around the Fugitive blow up, CBS started including that qualification on all releases.  It doesn't sound like much has been changed on season 4.

With the "may" in it?  Cause they have pretty much had a music change warning ever since they acquired the Paramount shows. 

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#210 of 214 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,048 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 23 2013 - 10:39 AM

They definitely went low budget on this. Yes, the shows themselves are great in both color and audio. They ripped off another release for artwork, no on-screen displays of original air date and no Kelloggs/Winston intros or cast commercials. You would think after waiting 4 1/2 years for this to unstall they would have went full throttle to impress.

• Randy Korstick likes this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#211 of 214 Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:04 AM

They definitely went low budget on this. Yes, the shows themselves are great in both color and audio. They ripped off another release for artwork, no on-screen displays of original air date and no Kelloggs/Winston intros or cast commercials. You would think after waiting 4 1/2 years for this to unstall they would have went full throttle to impress.

Well, they are only charging $19.99 for the full season, so I'm not gonna carp, especially since the episodes themselves look so nice.  I'll take this over no release any day.

#212 of 214 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,048 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well, they are only charging $19.99 for the full season, so I'm not gonna carp, especially since the episodes themselves look so nice.  I'll take this over no release any day.

I really wasn't meaning to carp! You're right, though, for the price it's certainly worth every penny.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#213 of 214 smithbrad

smithbrad

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:39 AM

My guess is that the most expensive part (remastering for HD) was justified for future syndication, but if it was stalled for all that time because the previous sales weren't what they expected or needed it to be, then the bare bones approach was probably the least risky venture. Keep costs down and sell it cheaper. In the end, it may also work out best for future release since they are more likely to do better with this approach in sales than putting more into it and charging more, which didn't seem to work on previous seasons.  Obviously, hardcore fans would like the extra's and the future releases.

I think the fact they are practically dumping the first two seasons of PJ for a combined $20, and I saw previous seasons of BH cheap at Walmart is probably an indicator sales weren't what they originally expected.

Edited by smithbrad, October 23 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#214 of 214 Albert71292

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 11:28 AM

Finally ordered it yesterday, since it's no longer a "Walmart exclusive". I refuse to give that store any of my money!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users