Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Next Tuesday 9/10 Will Tell A Lot About CBS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 of 81 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:13 PM

As I've said before, I am a little concerned about CBS's future with regard to classic DVD releases. They had run a semi regular rotation of releases for several years but have completely done an about face recently. Currently their release schedule have been published through November and only one classic release (Gentle Ben) is on the schedule. Next Tuesday (or around that day), their releases for December should be announced. These would be their big holiday releases and my gut feeling is that if we don't see any classic stuff on their schedule for the biggest shopping month of the year, it is probably not a good sign for the future

#2 of 81 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:15 PM

I just went on their Syndication Bible site and it stated it was updated in July but when you click on the update, it goes back to February, so what are the new updates there?

#3 of 81 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:25 PM

Beverly Hillbillies season 4 and Petticoat Junction Season 3 have been remastered

#4 of 81 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 07:11 AM

So theres a good chance these could be announced as well as another round of Gunsmoke and Bonanza. If that happens its not too bad of a classic TV run in my book.

Beverly Hillbillies season 4 and Petticoat Junction Season 3 have been remastered

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#5 of 81 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 07:42 AM

So theres a good chance these could be announced as well as another round of Gunsmoke and Bonanza. If that happens its not too bad of a classic TV run in my book.

I really hope you are right.I'd feel a lot better to hear that they are resuming some of this stuff. The remastering  stuff still makes me feel a little cautious regarding whether it really mean anything or not due to what they did with the Love Boat.

#6 of 81 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think there's a good chance we'll see/hear about BH S4 and PJ S3 sometime in the near future.  And I'm still relatively confident (although not positive) that CBS will continue to release Rawhide, Gunsmoke and Bonanza.  But as we've learned many times in the past, nothing is a sure thing until it's actually released.  CBS has changed their mind on many occasions so I'm never counting my chickens before they hatch any more.  Had the company followed through on early plans in years past, we'd have more Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones, the aforementioned BH & PJ, etc.

Gary "fingers crossed" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#7 of 81 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 03 2013 - 11:15 AM

I think there's a good chance we'll see/hear about BH S4 and PJ S3 sometime in the near future.  And I'm still relatively confident (although not positive) that CBS will continue to release Rawhide, Gunsmoke and Bonanza.  But as we've learned many times in the past, nothing is a sure thing until it's actually released.  CBS has changed their mind on many occasions so I'm never counting my chickens before they hatch any more.  Had the company followed through on early plans in years past, we'd have more Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones, the aforementioned BH & PJ, etc.

Gary "fingers crossed" O.

CBS has let shows lay dormant for long stretches before.

I know I was never expecting the final two seasons of Taxi, and even Cheers was iffy for a good long while.

Hopefully, as shows like Perry Mason are completed, other stalled shows are given the chance shows like Taxi and Cheers were to be completed.

/and there's always VEI.

//Unfortunately, though, I think season 5 and above of Happy Days won't be scheduled for release until the 12th of Never. Too bad the show didn't have a cult following in the UK, where music licensing is so much more civilized.

Edited by The Obsolete Man, September 03 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#8 of 81 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 03 2013 - 08:04 PM

I did some checking and I have a total of 49 unedited color episodes of the Hillbillies on VHS. Somewhere down the line I've lost a couple. It would be 50 but the Columbia House episode of "The Grunion Invasion" clocks in at 22 minutes leading me to figure it's either edited or time compressed. Almost 50 out of 168 isn't the worst thing in the world. 

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#9 of 81 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:00 AM

Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are going straight to Walmart/Sams Club at the start of October.

http://www.walmart.c...-Frame/28804712

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#10 of 81 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:47 AM

CBS seems to have beaten you to the punch and crushed the entire rationale of this thread.

• Ron1973 likes this

#11 of 81 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:59 AM

CBS seems to have beaten you to the punch and crushed the entire rationale of this thread.

I am very happy to be wrong on this one. The good news outweighs the blow to my ego. LOL

• Randy Korstick likes this

#12 of 81 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:10 AM

I am very happy to be wrong on this one. The good news outweighs the blow to my ego. LOL

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Consider this a like.....lol

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#13 of 81 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:18 AM

Colored me surprised by the Sam's Club/Walmart exclusive too.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you.  :)

Gary "genuinely shocked by the distribution" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#14 of 81 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:34 AM

The only thing that worries me is that they are setting the two shows up for failure. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist and I hate to rain on the parade. Without a "general" release how will sales be? Look, I'm excited here, I really am. I just hope this doesn't generate low sales figures being what appears a Walmart exclusive, thereby giving them an excuse to not go further and stall out the series.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#15 of 81 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:41 AM

The only thing that worries me is that they are setting the two shows up for failure. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist and I hate to rain on the parade. Without a "general" release how will sales be? Look, I'm excited here, I really am. I just hope this doesn't generate low sales figures being what appears a Walmart exclusive, thereby giving them an excuse to not go further and stall out the series.

Not necessarily.

Remember, CDs like AC/DC's Black Ice and Kiss's Sonic Boom were Walmart exclusive, and shipped enough copies to the stores to be numbers 1 and 2 on the charts (respectively)... and though I like both groups, Kiss and AC/DC are not groups that have ever really been at the top of the music charts. But, Walmart buys lots of copies of stuff, and promotes it hard, so old guys like Kiss and AC/DC get top selling albums.

So, if it's a Walmart exclusive deal, I'm betting it will turn out to be profitable enough to keep the series going, and probably help CBS/P dump their backstock of Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction seasons that didn't sell in the first place.

Edited by The Obsolete Man, September 04 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#16 of 81 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have a feeling they've calculated the odds, and figured they'd so best with these titles at a low price point + heavy distribution to consumers who might be less likely to seek these out online...I'd be happy if they would take this approach with other Middle-America-friendly titles like Barnaby Jones and (maybe) Cannon.

• HenryDuBrow likes this

#17 of 81 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:44 AM

Not necessarily.

Remember, CDs like AC/DC's Black Ice and Kiss's Sonic Boom were Walmart exclusive, and shipped enough copies to the stores to be numbers 1 and 2 on the charts (respectively)... and though I like both groups, Kiss and AC/DC are not groups that have ever really been at the top of the music charts. But, Walmart buys lots of copies of stuff, and promotes it hard, so old guys like Kiss and AC/DC get top selling albums.

So, if it's a Walmart exclusive deal, I'm betting it will turn out to be profitable enough to keep the series going, and probably help CBS/P dump their backstock of Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction seasons that didn't sell in the first place.

And you make a valid point. I'm just anxious to get the series completed and don't want anything to go haywire! :lol:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#18 of 81 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:46 AM

I think they are giving these two shows a "feel it out" approach to see the interest base and sales figures first. That's probably why they have only re-mastered one additional season of each so far until they see how these sell. I'm hoping for some good numbers

#19 of 81 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Screenwriter

• 1,028 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:48 AM

Offhand, I can't think of any outright failures of exclusive titles at places like Walmart, Best Buy, etc ...

The closest one I can think of offhand, would perhaps be the Best Buy exclusive of the Guns'N Roses album "Chinese Democracy" back in 2008.  About a year or so later, I saw numerous copies of "Chinese Democracy" at various local discount stores for $2 each.  (Some copies even still had the "Best Buy" price tags still attached).

http://www.rollingst...a-yawn-20081124

#20 of 81 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 11:32 AM

Twenty bucks is a good price point for impulse purchases at Walmart. It should sell decently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users