Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Crazy AOL Problem

Best Answer BarryR , August 31 2013 - 09:38 AM

FIXED!

Long story short, I went into the System Configurator of my computer and zapped whatever AOL program was listed. Like a plumber cleaning a drain, it now cleared the way again. I was able to reinstall 9.7.  Simple as that, in retrospect.

Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 30 2013 - 02:48 PM

For no clear reason I can't reinstall AOL 9.7. I keep being told it's already running. What then is this phantom 9.7? I can't even uninstall a supposed 9.7 because of the same reason--not to make things complicated, but in the control panel AOL 9.7 is listed in name only, with the file itself mysteriously absent. It's like gremlins ran off  with it. I get an error message "-1." What is this? It tells me 9.7 reinstallation can't take place if this other program (9.7) is running, which it visibly isn't. What kind of hell have I gotten into?

Pardon what sounds like--and is--an impossibly confusing problem. Only AOL is acting up--everything else in my computer is fine.

Thanks.

Edited by BarryR, August 30 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,782 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 30 2013 - 09:55 PM

Have you tried rebooting, then installing or uninstalling?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 31 2013 - 02:52 AM

Yes, but I now I have another question--would reinstalling Windows 7 kind of wipe the whole slate clean of this problem? I'm at a standstill otherwise. Windows (I assume) won't let me reinstall AOL because it detects a conflict with another "communications software" (I assume AOL) that isn't otherwise there. Yeah, it sounds weird, so it's like maybe I should just zap the whole thing and start totally over, even though AOL is the only issue. I get Firefox, Explorer just fine, and everything else is good. But this AOL farce is ridiculous. I do get AOL via Firefox, but it's a generic setup minus the 9.7 that I'm used to with favorites etc. I can't even send e-mail with this generic AOL . The only clue I had that trouble was brewing beforehand is that AOL would disconnect without warning, and then say another AOL was active, even if I didn't see any. I'd reboot and get back to normal, but even that stopped yesterday.

Thanks though for your reply.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:38 AM   Best Answer

FIXED!

Long story short, I went into the System Configurator of my computer and zapped whatever AOL program was listed. Like a plumber cleaning a drain, it now cleared the way again. I was able to reinstall 9.7.  Simple as that, in retrospect.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,189 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 31 2013 - 10:39 AM

Nothing better than resolving a problem like that one...

:thumbsup:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 31 2013 - 11:31 AM

Nothing better than resolving a problem like that one...

:thumbsup:

Right; I hope it can help others if they ever find their computer acting this way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users