Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#21 of 482 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,641 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 11 2013 - 01:21 PM

A 2nd year QB, after that injury...Washington will take a 2-4 record, then tell him..."buck up or you're done".

Like Peyton last year. You tell the Broncos that they'd be 3-3...they wouldn't have believed you.

#22 of 482 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 01:23 PM

Being a Houston Texans fan I was on the other side of that situation (vs. Chargers fans in this thread.)  I thought the Texans were done at half time.  I set up a recording with extended time for the second half and went to bed.  Watched the rest of the game on Tuesday (without hearing the score first) and was amazed at their comeback.  There were several pivotal plays that all seemed to go the Texans way in the second half.  Brian Cushing's absence was one of the biggest hurdles the Texas had to overcome last year and it was nice to see him step up in Monday night's game.  Foster looks like he is still out of sorts to some extent, but Tate rolled up some big carries for the Texans.

Tough loss for the Chargers.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, September 11 2013 - 01:24 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#23 of 482 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,970 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 11 2013 - 06:16 PM

Anyone think RG3 wasn't trusting his rebuilt knee until the 4th quarter?  He looked like he was afraid to truly plant on it for most of the first half.

That's a pretty natural reaction.  I sure hope he has a complete and permanent recovery.  He's exciting to watch when he's on.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#24 of 482 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,970 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 11 2013 - 06:41 PM

Being a Houston Texans fan I was on the other side of that situation (vs. Chargers fans in this thread.) 

For every losing fan, there is a winning fan.  We all get to be on both sides of the fence.  I think you'll be on the happy side of the fence more often than not this year.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#25 of 482 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:52 AM

Anyone think RG3 wasn't trusting his rebuilt knee until the 4th quarter?  He looked like he was afraid to truly plant on it for most of the first half.

He had to be rusty, as he had not seen any game action since the playoffs last season.

#26 of 482 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 05:16 AM

The AFC is shaping up to be a Denver stroll to the Super Bowl. I just do not see another team in the conference that comes close to being as good this season.

Scott,

Assuming that there are no injuries to key players for Denver, this is how I see it playing out in the AFC as well.  My pick for the NFC will depend on how well Seattle performs on the road.  If they earn the best record in the NFC and have a first-round bye and then two playoff games at home, watch out.  This week's game (against the 49ers) looms large for the Seahawks.  So, I suppose my early choices for the two teams to make it to the Super Bowl are Denver and Seattle.

Edited by Ockeghem, September 13 2013 - 05:36 AM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#27 of 482 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 07:00 AM

The AFC is shaping up to be a Denver stroll to the Super Bowl. I just do not see another team in the conference that comes close to being as good this season.

Oh, I think the Houston Texans will have a thing or two to say about who represents the AFC in the Super Bowl.  That is the big question for their franchise this year - can they show improvement over last year and make it to the AFC championship game this season?   Injuries of course are one of the main factors for every team in the NFL.

- Walter.

#28 of 482 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 14 2013 - 03:49 PM

Scott,

Assuming that there are no injuries to key players for Denver, this is how I see it playing out in the AFC as well.  My pick for the NFC will depend on how well Seattle performs on the road.  If they earn the best record in the NFC and have a first-round bye and then two playoff games at home, watch out.  This week's game (against the 49ers) looms large for the Seahawks.  So, I suppose my early choices for the two teams to make it to the Super Bowl are Denver and Seattle.

I think the NFC is a lot tougher to call, Scott. San Fran, Seattle, Atlanta, New Orleans and Green Bay are all quality teams. I just do not see that type of depth in the AFC this year. Baltimore lost a lot of talent, Pittsburgh is not very good, Indy is still building, and Brady lost all his offensive weapons in New England. To me, Denver is by far the best team in that conference.

Oh, I think the Houston Texans will have a thing or two to say about who represents the AFC in the Super Bowl.  That is the big question for their franchise this year - can they show improvement over last year and make it to the AFC championship game this season?   Injuries of course are one of the main factors for every team in the NFL.

- Walter.

Until they learn to win when it counts -- in the playoffs -- I will not be a believer. Also, I think they have about run Arian Foster into the ground, and they need a solid ground game to win.

#29 of 482 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 07:29 PM

The Houston Texans are 2-2 in the playoffs and lost last season in the Divisional round against the eventual Super Bowl champion Ravens.  Not great, but certainly not terrible either.  I believe they have a legitimate shot at the AFC championship game this season but beyond that, who knows?

- Walter.

#30 of 482 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 15 2013 - 05:53 PM

We'll see, Walter. I am still not a believer. However, the Texans do have the advantage of playing in the AFC, which is by far the weaker conference this year. With no team other than Denver  looking scary, they may indeed get to the conference title game. After all, someone has to get there. Meanwhile, the Broncos rolled again today, with Peyton getting the better of his little brother again.

The Lions lost in the desert.... again. They always seem to lose in Arizona. It was a close game, but I just have no passion for this franchise anymore. I watched the entire game, and barely cared about the outcome.

#31 of 482 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 01:11 AM

The Texans had an ugly win today against the Titans.  But a win is a win.  They don't hand out style points in the NFL. :)  The next three weeks should give some insight into how the season will shape up.  The Texans:

Play the Ravens on the road.

Host the Seattle Seahawks (who crushed the 49ers Sunday evening.)  Happy that this game is at Reliant Stadium.

Play the 49ers on the road.

If they can win at least two of those three and start the season 4-1, I'm going to be feeling pretty good about their chances.  On the other hand if they fail miserably, I'll tell myself it is a long season and they can bounce back. :)

- Walter.

#32 of 482 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 04:25 AM

Walter,

That's kind of a gruesome three games.  The Ravens haven't lost in twelve or thirteen regular-season games at home, the Seahawks are for real (although last year they struggled on the road), and the 49ers are tough at home.  I think the Texans will win one of those three games.

Edited by Ockeghem, September 16 2013 - 04:53 AM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#33 of 482 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,138 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 09:50 AM

The Eagles losing their home opener on a last second field goal against the Chargers. I only caught part of the game, and can see the offense is firing on all cylinders, but it won't be enough with a crappy defense that can't stop anyone. Especially in the closing minutes of the game. Even though the NFC East is not strong at all, the cynic in me, just does not think the Eagles will go anywhere this season, and will be lucky to finish at 8-8.

Looking forward to their next game on Thursday, against Andy Reid and the Chiefs, who have gotten off to a 2-0 start, with a hand-me-down QB from the 49ers.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - June

Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#34 of 482 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 16 2013 - 02:06 PM

I watched that SD - Philly game. I think it was during the game where it was mentioned that Chip Kelly spends 100% of his time with the offense, and leaves the defense completely with the DC. That reminds me way too much of the approach that former Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez took, and that was a disaster in Ann Arbor. Maybe Kelly is more suited to be an offensive coordinator if he cannot even spell D-E-F-E-N-S-E.

#35 of 482 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,990 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 16 2013 - 02:23 PM

Denver is just playing a different game then everyone else.   They did it in every aspect of the game yesterday; a punt return for a TD, a rushing TD and a passing TD all happened in a span of about 5 minutes.  Just sickeningly complete.   Barring an injury they may just mow their way to an AFC title. 

Tampa Bay may be the most incompetent team I have seen in years; they are sad-sack like this season.  The coach hates the QB and it shows, the playcalling makes no sense, they can't manage the clock.. I'd bet against them like mad.

The Chiefs look good this year.  Not great, but it seems as though 8-8 should be something that is an expectation, which is amazing from a team with 2 wins last year.  The win against the Cowboys showed one thing they do better then anyone - the kicking game.  Their kicker is sick, absolutely sticking punts inside the 10.  When you have that kind of kicking game it makes things a lot better for every other aspect of the game.

EJ Manuel is for real.  He's young and he's going to have a lot of hiccups along the way but he kept real composure and when rubber met the road he came through.  Buffalo has to be feeling good about that pick.

I thought Houston would be a big competitor this year.. but the first two games they've looked.. not so good.

Damn to Seattle manhandling SF.

Now, I just need AC Green tonight to score a TD and get 70+ yards and I win most of my fantasy leagues for the week

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#36 of 482 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 03:46 PM

Denver is just playing a different game then everyone else.   They did it in every aspect of the game yesterday; a punt return for a TD, a rushing TD and a passing TD all happened in a span of about 5 minutes.  Just sickeningly complete.   Barring an injury they may just mow their way to an AFC title.

They are looking pretty unstoppable.   Every time Halliday returns a punt, I'm reminding myself that the Texans let him go.   :(

but the first two games they've looked.. not so good.

My confidence in the Texans is more about their talent level, vs. how they have played the first two games.  I'm not sure how good a barometer those games were since San Diego scored a lot against the Eagles and the Titans gave Pittsburgh all they could handle last week.  Hence, my earlier post about the next three games on the Texans schedule.  We'll see.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, September 16 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#37 of 482 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 04:18 PM

Seahawks certainly are tough at home. They made a very good 49er team look so so last night.

#38 of 482 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 04:23 PM

Tom Brady and Terrelle Pryor neck 'n neck in passer ratings. It could be a long season for Brady this year.

#39 of 482 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 05:53 AM

This morning I heard on a sports radio program that those in charge of NFL rules changes are now thinking about a 'harsh language' rule.  What the commentator was saying was if one player uses harsh language toward another, that the offending team might be penalized.

He also said (facetiously, but who knows?) that there may soon be a 'pass count' (similar to how there is a pitch count in baseball).  So this means that Peyton Manning may not pass more than ten times-per-game any longer, especially when he plays New England. ;)

Edited by Ockeghem, September 17 2013 - 05:56 AM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#40 of 482 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 17 2013 - 07:00 AM

This morning I heard on a sports radio program that those in charge of NFL rules changes are now thinking about a 'harsh language' rule.  What the commentator was saying was if one player uses harsh language toward another, that the offending team might be penalized.

...and the woosification of the NFL continues. You can no longer hit players without someone looking for a flag, a hand brushing against the helmet is a 15 yard penalty, kickoff returns have almost been eliminated, pass interference is called if a defender even looks at the receiver, and now they want to flag players for calling each other bad names? Between this and all the additional commercial time, the league is becoming more and more unwatchable for me. I have no qualms about shutting off a game anymore and either finding something else to do (afternoon game) or going to bed (night game). The Steelers were playing on MNF last night, and I think I watched about 10 minutes of the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users