Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales

Nintendo

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#181 of 192 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,101 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 05:17 PM

So it runs them at a higher resolution but effectively not at a higher resolution.

#182 of 192 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 17 2014 - 07:14 PM

It upscales them which essentially means that the original output of the game is converted to whatever your selected HD resolution is.

It has to happen somewhere down the line since the modern HDTV can only display a picture in its native resolution. Since the Wii U does a better job of it than many HDTV scaling chips will do, it's beneficial. Toss it seamlessly adjusting the aspect ratio as appropriate and it's a rather nice bonus compared to the original Wii hardware. 

But yes, upscaling can't create detail where there is none. But nice quality upscaling helps preserve the detail that is present during the process. That's why upscaling DVD players took off a few years ago for another example. 

#183 of 192 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 17 2014 - 08:49 PM

Grezzo, the Japanese developer of Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS, has a job listing for a programmer and another position in gold text about an opportunity to create a legend. Perhaps another hint that Majora's Mask 3D is planned? 

If it happens like many are hoping for and believe will, I hope they toss in their Four Swords port as a bonus. Would be a shame to see that kept a download exclusive, especially with it unavailable to new 3DS owners. 

#184 of 192 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,101 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'd imagine more likely they're making a new Zelda than MM.  Majora's Mask is either already in development or not happening.

#185 of 192 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 18 2014 - 04:32 PM

My money is on Majora's Mask 3D next year. 

#186 of 192 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:10 PM

Sounds like Splatoon will have some form of local multiplayer.

http://www.nintendol...player_mode_too

• DaveF likes this

#187 of 192 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,434 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:02 PM

POPULAR

Well, our family now owns a Wii U. I bought be Mario Kart bundle. It was a chore to find one, but I finally did. Any game recommendations? Primarily for family fun/young kids.
  • DaveF, mattCR and LeoA like this

#188 of 192 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:12 PM

New Super Mario Bros. U is an excellent choice. There's challenge there for an adult if you were to play through it and seek all the star coins from each level, but also great fun for young kids thanks to the excellent local multiplayer setup.

I believe that your Mario Kart 8 free game promotion that you'll want to take advantage of would let you download this for free (You also might want to consider Wii Party U, another of the choices, which I assume is another solid choice for younger kids and multiplayer).

I'd steer away from New Super Luigi U though which is essentially a expansion pack since the difficulty level is much higher. Unless you want more after NSMBU for yourself, it isn't very well suited for the younger crowd. 

I'm not sure if Super Mario 3D World is quite as well suited (It brought the multiplayer angle from the NSMB line to a 3D Mario platformer). Depends on how old your kids are. I doubt 5 or 6 year olds would get as much fun out of it as they would MK8 and NSMBU, but if they're more like 10 or so, that one is another excellent choice. 

And if their previous game is any indication, you'll want to watch for Yoshi's Woolly World next year. Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii was perfect for younger kids while still having enough appeal with the graphics and level design to keep an adult having fun at the same time despite the lack of difficulty. This looks set to be more of the same.

In fact, if you don't own a Wii, I highly recommend Kirby's Epic Yarn which you can play on your Wii U via Wii mode. Very pretty game despite being 480p and perfect for kids as I already said. It's also very cheap which is fairly unusual for a 1st party Nintendo release or a Kirby platformer. 

#189 of 192 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,556 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:35 PM

Trying to decide between Windwaker HD or PikMin3 for the download. I'm kind of leaning toward the Zelda game, but PikMin3 looks like it might not be too bad either.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#190 of 192 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,434 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the detailed replay, Leo. The kids are 8 and almost 4. We do have a Wii and a handful of games. They enjoy Super Mario Brothers so I was think of Super Mario Brothers U as the free one and that's good to know about Super Luigi U. I need to check out Kirby's Epic Yarn. I haven't heard of that one before. I do admit I'm intrigued PikMin 3 for all of the praise it seems to get in reviews.

#191 of 192 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 11:28 AM

For $15 on the E-Shop, 'Shovel Knight' may be the greatest video game purchase I make this year.  Gameplay is a dream, and the fun factor is off the charts.  If you are into retro 8-or 16 bit gaming, look no further than this loving tribute to a bygone era.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BHvJ5GQoTac            

• DaveF likes this

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#192 of 192 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,165 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:03 PM

My 16 yo niece is visiting this week, and she's got a Wii at home. I browsed BestBuy this week, but they didn't have any WiiU on the shelves. Probably for the best. SAF for an unexpected videogame purchase would have been low,especially just for the niece's visit :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users