Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saturn 3 (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Shout Factory BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,033 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 09:50 PM

79202_large.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 11:13 PM

I saw this in 70mm 6 -Track Stereo on release at the Classic Haymarket in London and seem to remember the

PQ of the blow up was not to good.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,308 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 07:04 PM

Well, the Magnetic Video laser disc release looked like crap, also (panned and scanned), so I look forward to this guilty please on Blu-ray.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,267 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 07:20 PM

What are the chances for a Kirk Douglas/Harvey Keitel/Stanley Donen/Martin Amis commentary? :)

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,890 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 30 2013 - 08:21 PM

What are the chances for a Kirk Douglas/Harvey Keitel/Stanley Donen/Martin Amis commentary? :)

I wish!
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,267 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 05:26 PM

Amis lives near me in Brooklyn, so maybe I'll bring the disc over to him and suggest we watch it. I suspect I'll be declined.

Edited by Bob Cashill, September 01 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#7 of 17 ONLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 06:01 AM

I have always thought this film is quite a curiosity and wanted to know more about how the heck this film came together and the making of it. The wonders of the internet...

http://saturn3makingof.com/

I will probably pick this up just because the film has always seemed such an oddity to me. 

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 06:58 AM

In a fit of 70s nostalgia, I purchased this on AppleTV a couple months ago. Man... some fond old memories really lose their charm when revisited...  :wacko:

#9 of 17 ONLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, I don't think it anybody would say it is a great film and it is more artifact than art...and I sort of stare at it wondering "How did this happen?"

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 342 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:09 PM

When this was first released, I was at an age where I saw and loved just about any science fiction movie.  But even then, I thought it was pretty bad.  And I remember the PQ as being poor, too, with lots of extremely grainy opticals.  Not sure that HD is going to do this one any favors.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,112 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:37 AM

I'm loving all of your memories. I saw this first on what must of been the first VHS release. I was probably around 8 years old and I thought it was amazing though I don't remember anything about it. I do recall that I was the only one of my friends who thought it was amazing.

I'll be buying this one for sure. :)

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,804 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 08:00 AM

Saturn 3.  I haven't thought about this film in I don't know how long.  I saw this theatrically because even though I should've known better, I would watch just about any SF film back then.  If I pick this up, it will only be because of nostalgia; but once again I probably should know better. :)

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,308 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 12:31 PM

Would have much preferred to see Farrah's naked butt than Kirk's!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,409 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 01:36 PM

I think this thing flopped because people thought they'd missed Saturn 1 and Saturn 2. Same thing happened with Bill Cosby did a movie called "Leonard 6." People were like, um, when did Leonard's 1-5 come out?

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,112 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 09 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think this thing flopped because people thought they'd missed Saturn 1 and Saturn 2. Same thing happened with Bill Cosby did a movie called "Leonard 6." People were like, um, when did Leonard's 1-5 come out?

It probably didn't help with Leonard 6 when Cosby actively told people the movie was no good and to not see it. :P

#16 of 17 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,461 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 09 2013 - 02:33 PM

Even though my recollection of the movie is that it was something of an odd duck, I'd buy it. But not for $25. This is a movie I would have expected to street at $15, $20 would be pushing it.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,103 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 09 2013 - 03:13 PM

It's a pass for me. I remember trailers for this being attached to sci-fi movies I saw in 1979, some equally bad (Meteor comes to mind), and I thought the robot was cool, but not much else.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users