Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The future of Smart TV, opt in ads from content recognition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 2,058 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 28 2013 - 07:47 PM

Remember the "old days", it was before my time, when there was no advertisements that happened in between television programs because the advertising was done actually in the show with the products being integrated into the show? 

Then came the advertisements, still with advertising in the show. 

Now with the internet, even when you use HTF, the ads you see are based off of cookies on your machine, your location -- based on your IP address, and other things to bring up "relevant ads" to you.

Well, Cognitive Networks, a provider of real-time data services that power Enhanced TV on Smart TVs, announced LG Electronics will be the first to integrate Cognitive Networks’ real-time data service on its Smart TV platform.  This will enabling a more robust “Enhanced TV” experience for consumers. 

What does a "more robust Enhanced TV experience" mean?  Engage is a cloud-based data service that provides real-time event triggers to application providers. Powered by proprietary Automatic Content Recognition (ACR) technology, the triggers are accurate to the second and allow application providers to launch opt-in based applications on LG Smart TVs used in the U.S., which are intelligently synchronized with live or time-shifted television.

LG’s 2013 and 2012 Smart TVs now incorporate Cognitive Networks’ Engage Enhanced TV capabilities to enable LG’s LivePlus synchronous TV service for applications such as the new SHO Sync app, just launched by SHOWTIME® on LG Smart TVs. A video of the anticipated viewing experience can be seen here.

I watched the video....  It seems like the exact same thing we were doing with HD-DVD with iHD.  It went nowhere with the public.  However, I believe that was partly because there was no such thing as a smartphone or tablet then.  These experiences tie in with a tablet and that makes the experience personal instead of a group thing, which is how interactivity was forced on people because it was literally on the screen that you were watching.  The stuff that is shown on this video is the same concept videos we had with HD-DVD, just with a second screen in the pictures. 

I can see where this has value, but you know that the video shows the interesting parts, it isn't showing the targetted advertising that would come along with it. 

Unlike your browser, I doubt the SmartTV's have a way to turn the concept of cookies off.

Who is going to rush out and buy a LG?

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users