• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 of 129 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted August 30 2013 - 08:39 AM

Of minor interest is the 2nd "bonus" commentary version of STID (also available via iTunes) is the shifting aspect ratio version, going from Scope to 1.78:1 for the IMAX shot sequences. The bluray versions will be scope only.   http://www.hometheat...arkness-itunes/

Not buying this if there's no aspect ratio change.  Similarly, I haven't bought MI4 either for the same reason.

#42 of 129 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,319 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 11:50 AM

From what I am able to deduce from reading all the posts and story on Digital Bits and i09, the extra extras, besides the standard included extras for the US release are the same between the Target and Best Buy release, the main distinction to making them exclusive is box cover art and extras consisting of 30(?) minutes of materials on discs at Target. And Best Buy's exclusive 30(?) minutes of materials is found via their on-line service.

Plus the extras from the Target box can be had in both the version that have the 2D blu ray and DVD and digital copy as well as the box with the 3D and 2D blu ray and DVD and digital copy at $10 more. (My preference for content)

The only question for me is the same as Neil's: will the code for the digital version download the version with commentary from iTunes. Plus when looking at iTunes last night, the version they are selling includes extras like featurettes. Will those come with the iTunes download with the code?

Not to defend Paramount, but I wonder if the facts are not all out yet and one could get all the extras once they download them from iTunes after buying one of the blu ray sets. (Audio commentary and other featurettes) And the only thing we don't get is a 3D blu ray version with the IMAX aspect ratio change.
  • Osato likes this

#43 of 129 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,201 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 12:52 PM

IMO there's no excuse for such a confusing and convoluted release. Looks like a rental for me.

• Osato and Cinescott like this

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#44 of 129 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 05:00 PM

I guess its the Target version for me. I hate online content.

#45 of 129 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 06:56 PM

HEY PARAMOUNT...

NO SALE!!!

I'm your bread and butter, you corporate idiots! I get the commentary on the 3-D Blu-ray set, or I simply do without. Nice goin', there, guys. Hope your foot heals very slowly from your having shot yourself there.

• Osato and Cinescott like this

#46 of 129 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:56 AM

Pretty horrible news on how the features are being split up among retailers. The fact that there is no commentary or trailers is pretty awful too.

Here is a recap of the retailers and what each of their versions of the title will include.

http://trekmovie.com...ideas-and-more/

Also, a very good article about the release on The Digital Bits.

http://www.thedigita...nts/082813_1415

I posted both of these links in the Press Release thread.

http://www.hometheat...ombo/?p=3994947

#47 of 129 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,020 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 08:48 PM

I don't care that much about extras anymore but agree that it sucks how they're parting them out like this when they would have fit on the regular release. What I'm more annoyed about is how this has been released "digitally" several weeks earlier than the disc releases. They've done this with several other movies recently, making them available for purchase this way (but not for rental until the discs are out), which angers me the same way as back in the DIVX era when that was getting titles before they were on regular DVD. I'm not going to switch to buying movies that way just because the studios want me to- the quality isn't as good as a Blu-Ray (admittedly it is pretty good for what it is), I can only watch purchased movies on my own registered devices (much like DIVX), and I don't even have the actual copy of the movie in my hands, just access to it online where it can be taken offline whenever anybody pleases.

• AaronMK likes this
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#48 of 129 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:18 PM

There is a rumor that Bad Robot controls all the extras on this set, so they may have made the decision to botch this release as much, if not more than, Paramount.  Not sure and taking it with a grain of salt, but I am also not buying this Blu-ray because of the nature of how the commentary track was not included.

The idea that it is "no problem" to have to go through extra steps to watch the film with the commentary track is ridiculous.

Hey, you get the commentary track, but you'll have to have extra computer hardware and  jump through all kinds of hoops, or watch it on your home PC, because we all know watching films on computer is really the best way to enjoy  a big sci-fi action flick.  

Edited by Mark Walker, August 31 2013 - 09:22 PM.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#49 of 129 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,234 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 12:03 AM

The iTunes commentary track is not a typical track. The participants control the movie, and can rewind and pause it to point things out. They also have a telestrator and there are times where on set footage is shown in comparison to the final shot. It runs much longer than the movie proper because of all this. I'm about 45 minutes into it and have yet to hear from JJ Abrams. So far I've heard from some of the effects people (during the opening sequence), Michael Giacchino and the editors.

#50 of 129 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:53 AM

The iTunes commentary track is not a typical track. The participants control the movie, and can rewind and pause it to point things out. They also have a telestrator and there are times where on set footage is shown in comparison to the final shot. It runs much longer than the movie proper because of all this. I'm about 45 minutes into it and have yet to hear from JJ Abrams. So far I've heard from some of the effects people (during the opening sequence), Michael Giacchino and the editors.

Forget the anonymous conspiracy theories from the "I hate J.J. Abrams" crowd, you've just figured out their reason for not including the commentary on the Blu-ray. That being said, the 'commentary version' of the movie still should have also been included when the item has a $55 MSRP.

#51 of 129 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 06:19 AM

Forget the anonymous conspiracy theories from the "I hate J.J. Abrams" crowd, you've just figured out their reason for not including the commentary on the Blu-ray. That being said, the 'commentary version' of the movie still should have also been included when the item has a $55 MSRP.

Except that the commentary on the DVD of the Collector's Edition of Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire had a picture-in-picture commentary that used seamless branching to go behind the scenes and then return to the film much like the "Follow The White Rabbit" feature on The Matrix.  

They could have included this feature on the Blu-ray for ST:ITD.

The seamless branching would have looked like they paused and rewound the film, but it would just be seamless branching imitating that... unless Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire DVD from many years ago is more technically advanced than a Blu-ray now. 

Edited by Mark Walker, September 01 2013 - 06:40 AM.

• AaronMK likes this

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#52 of 129 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 01 2013 - 07:12 AM

They could have included this feature on the Blu-ray for ST:ITD

Yes and that's why I said "the 'commentary version' of the movie still should have also been included...".

#53 of 129 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 01 2013 - 08:39 AM

There is a rumor that Bad Robot controls all the extras on this set, so they may have made the decision to botch this release as much, if not more than, Paramount.  Not sure and taking it with a grain of salt, but I am also not buying this Blu-ray because of the nature of how the commentary track was not included.

The idea that it is "no problem" to have to go through extra steps to watch the film with the commentary track is ridiculous.

Hey, you get the commentary track, but you'll have to have extra computer hardware and  jump through all kinds of hoops, or watch it on your home PC, because we all know watching films on computer is really the best way to enjoy  a big sci-fi action flick.  

You mean not everybody has a PC with a BD drive and an HDMI output?

I've got three. But to "have to use a PC" for a commentary track(the way it works on iTunes) is ridiculous.

#54 of 129 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,756 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:01 PM

You mean not everybody has a PC with a BD drive and an HDMI output?

I've got three. But to "have to use a PC" for a commentary track(the way it works on iTunes) is ridiculous.

My PC does not support BD nor have I ever hooked it up to the TV.

Secondly, what are your choices for the iTunes commentary?  Watch it on your computer with your computer speakers or headphones.  Hook up your computer to your TV.  What am I missing?

#55 of 129 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:04 PM

On Apple computers, you can stream video content like the commentary version of STID via AirPlay to an Apple TV.  There are AirPlay programs on the PC, too, I understand.

#56 of 129 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,852 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm sorry but that's way too complicated for something that every DVD for 16 years has had right on the main menu. There's no way to spin this: It sucks.

• Mark Walker and Cinescott like this

#57 of 129 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,756 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:18 PM

As opposed to just poping the disc into a player and watching on a TV.  That would be the simplest thing in the world to do.

• Mark Walker and Cinescott like this

#58 of 129 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted September 02 2013 - 03:48 AM

I don't have Apple TV, nor do I intend to get it, so I'll be stuck listening to the commentary on an old laptop that doesn't run video very well. Thanks, Paramount! 

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#59 of 129 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,781 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:47 PM

The iTunes commentary sounds very much like the Universal "Take Control" idea from a few years ago.   If Universal could put this kind of thing on its Blus of Fast & Furious and The Wolf Man 3-4 years ago, there is no reason why the Star Trek ID Blu couldn't accommodate this.   This wouldn't work on the SD DVD, but that's not the issue.

The issue is that they chose to parse out the extras and thus try to force the fans to repeatedly purchase the movie if they wished to have access to the extra features.   The only reason to do that is to generate more of these retailer exclusives.   I could even see parsing out a featurette here or there.  But this is a whole pile of material, and the commentary being separated out just puts the icing on a fairly unpleasant cake.

#60 of 129 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,319 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 06:45 AM

http://trekcore.com/...rt-i-video-vam/

Reposting what I posted in the other ID thread. Trekcore has a very nice breakdown of the different VAM's from Target and Best Buy. However, it wasn't clear if the digital code for the iTunes downloads will give you the audio commentary and other extras there. One guy posts that the codes do, the article isn't so clear cut about that.

I'd call it more salt in the wounds then icing on the unpleasant cake. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users