• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 of 170 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 05:39 PM

http://www.hometheat...-entertainment/

I sure hope they re-release the first season of "Here Comes the Brides" because that went OOP and is tough to find at an affordable price.

• Brian McP likes this
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#2 of 170 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 06:10 PM

This is HUGE news, a small indie like Mill Creek signing a major deal with one of the big studios- I am a bit surprised to see Sony signing such an extensive deal with a smaller indie company and one that focuses on 'value' releases  I really don't understand why they will be re-releasing shows that Sony has already released- are these out of print?!  Also, according to the info posted at TVshowsondvd.com, Mill Creek is only acquiring the rights to seasons that have already been released.  Why aren't they acquiring the rights to all seasons, fans of The Jeffersons, Just Shout Me, The Nanny, Diff'rent Strokes, etc. want to purchase the seasons that have never released, why re-release seasons over again for a series that still has unreleased seasons?!  I wonder what sales will be like for shows that Sony has already released in their entirety, I assume most fans of these series have already purchased the existing releases?!

I hope they release a full list of the TV series that they have acquired the rights to, I would like to see if they have acquired the rights to Early Edition.  This is a Sony property and Sony has the rights for Canada (Mill Creek has acquired USA & Canada rights), CBS/Paramount has the rights for the USA only.

On another note, I wonder if this deal is why we have seen no further releases from Shout! Factory?!  This might be why we have seen them move away from Classic TV or perhaps they are seeing better sales from newer stuff?!

Edited by TVonDVDJunkie05, August 27 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#3 of 170 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,751 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hopefully this will later lead to the unreleased seasons of shows Sony stalled over - I'm talking "The Nanny" specifically. 

• MatthewA likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4 of 170 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,319 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hopefully this will later lead to the unreleased seasons of shows Sony stalled over - I'm talking "The Nanny" specifically. 

And The Flying Nun!

• Brian McP and classicmovieguy like this

#5 of 170 OFFLINE   buddyiahndrums@gmail.com

buddyiahndrums@gmail.com

Agent

• 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 27 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hopefully this is great news for the remaining seasons of Mad About You! I've been waiting for the final two seasons to be released. Re-releases of the first five are really unnecessary. Those are still available for $9.99 and $14.99 at Target. I hate re-releases when one already owns the originals.

Edited by buddyiahndrums@gmail.com, August 27 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#6 of 170 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm not surprised that Mill Creek are re-releasing shows that are already out on DVD. That's all they do. Truly a worthless company.

• buddyiahndrums@gmail.com likes this

#7 of 170 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,316 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 27 2013 - 11:13 PM

I expect to see some mixed bag releases and some complete series releases on overcroded discs but cheaper than it may take to finish out the series if they released them seperately. I hope they delve into the series that never got a release in the first place and some short lived ones.

Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#8 of 170 OFFLINE   Wezzo

Wezzo

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 12:43 AM

I find it crazy that the deal apparently doesn't include as-yet-unreleased seasons. It's not as if Sony has any big plans, surely? I'm dying for the last couple Mad About You seasons.

• buddyiahndrums@gmail.com likes this

#9 of 170 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 01:13 AM

It would be great if they released more seasons of Maude...

• Brian McP and Tooncy like this

#10 of 170 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,316 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 04:52 AM

What is the purpose of releasing shows again? Are they trying to drum up sales? I would be more interested in Sony shows that have not been released then ones that have been completed.

Is it just me or our we going back to 2003-2006 tme frame when market was overloaded with dvd releases?

#11 of 170 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 06:08 AM

I find it crazy that the deal apparently doesn't include as-yet-unreleased seasons. It's not as if Sony has any big plans, surely? I'm dying for the last couple Mad About You seasons.

Have you seen the last 2 seasons of Mad About You? Truly a show that jumped the shark if there ever was one.

#12 of 170 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 06:10 AM

What is the purpose of releasing shows again? Are they trying to drum up sales? I would be more interested in Sony shows that have not been released then ones that have been completed.

Is it just me or our we going back to 2003-2006 tme frame when market was overloaded with dvd releases?

Good question.

From an outsider perspective, it seems like the primary motivation of Mill Creek (and Echo Bridge) is to flood the market with tons of inexpensive dvds and blurays.  :rolleyes:

(Whether such inexpensive stuff is junk, is a very subjective question).

#13 of 170 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted August 28 2013 - 09:02 AM

please....Please....PLEASE give us the 5 remaining seasons of "The Jeffersons"!!!!  That's all I ask.  :)

• Brian McP likes this
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#14 of 170 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,019 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 09:57 AM

Here is the one I want released. 

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Ockeghem likes this

#15 of 170 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,268 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 10:33 AM

Mark,

I loved that show when it aired.  I used to watch it with my mom, who actually got me into the show.

Edited by Ockeghem, August 28 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#16 of 170 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 11:03 AM

This is clearly a deal for Sony to dump off excess inventory, nothing more. My guess is that a lot of these shows will see more seasons but only through Sony's MOD program.

#17 of 170 OFFLINE   Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 11:04 AM

A PRESSED Charlie's Angels Season Five stand alone release would be nice for those who bought the first four individual seasons. I'm hoping the mod seasons of Rules of Engagement get picked up as well, although I guess it would've been in the press release if that was happening. 

• Brian McP and Tooncy like this

#18 of 170 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 12:57 PM

This reminds me of how the Krofft show license keeps getting passed around, and each new owner just re-releases the stuff that's already out, while shows that the fanbase have wanted for years languish in a vault.

• Radioman970 likes this

#19 of 170 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,981 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 04:33 PM

This reminds me of how the Krofft show license keeps getting passed around, and each new owner just re-releases the stuff that's already out, while shows that the fanbase have wanted for years languish in a vault.

Yeh, Would like to see FAR OUT SPACE NUTS with Chuck McCann doing commentary.

Good question.

From an outsider perspective, it seems like the primary motivation of Mill Creek (and Echo Bridge) is to flood the market with tons of inexpensive dvds and blurays.  :rolleyes:

(Whether such inexpensive stuff is junk, is a very subjective question).

Is there such a thing as inexpensive blurays?

#20 of 170 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 05:09 PM

Is there such a thing as inexpensive blurays?

A lot of the Mill Creek bluray titles originally released back in 2011, ended up at dollar stores awhile ago for $1 a pop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users