Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

And Then There Were None delayed?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 atfree

atfree

Second Unit

• 390 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 27 2013 - 04:18 PM

Rene Clair's And Then There Were None had an 8/27 release date and I had it pre-ordered thru Amazon. Today I received an email from Amazon that it wouldn't ship until September 13th.

Anyone hear about a delay?

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#2 of 15 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,175 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 27 2013 - 06:31 PM

That appears to be correct.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 15 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 06:58 AM

Yup...same here.  Got my delay notice yesterday, which wasn't a surprise because there hadn't been ANY movement on my order prior to yesterday and that's when it was due (so I knew something was most likely up) 

#4 of 15 David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 323 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 07:03 AM

I ordered mine from ClassicFlix and I emailed them yesterday around this time and havent heard back...they did debit the amount when I pre-ordered so I am going to wait it out I guess ( Unless I see it at a store ! ) 

#5 of 15 gunthertoody

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yes. I contacted VCI directly and they said it is delayed, but gave no specific date as to when it will be in.

#6 of 15 kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 07:04 AM

The Blu-ray may be delayed but the corresponding DVD certainly isn't, because I'm holding it in my hand.  The DVD doesn't have high-definition picture but it does benefit from VCI's restoration of the film.

#7 of 15 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 28 2013 - 12:24 PM

The Blu-ray may be delayed but the corresponding DVD certainly isn't, because I'm holding it in my hand.  The DVD doesn't have high-definition picture but it does benefit from VCI's restoration of the film.

Well that in itself is very exciting! Thanks for the information!

#8 of 15 kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.  I just viewed the new VCI DVD and its quality is simply NOWHERE near the 2001 Image DVD edition.  The corresponding Blu-ray may look better in hi-def, but VCI simply didn't use as good a print as Image did, and no Blu-ray or Ultra-Blu-ray is going to fix that.  Contrast, brightness, and sharpness and everything across the board are all inferior to the Image disc.  And the VCI picture is significantly CROPPED on all four sides of the screen compared to the Image disc.  Sighhhhh....  I'm going to send Image an email to urge them to make its own Blu-ray edition to do the film justice.

Screen captures.  I don't even have to tell which ones are from the VCI disc and which are from Image.

#9 of 15 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 07:51 AM

Without having them both to look at the DVD captures remind me of the dark old VCI disc from way back when, which is why the Image was so highly praised as an upgrade when it was first released (except, I seem to remember, for some really rough looking credits.)

#10 of 15 kevin_y

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 08:27 AM

Without having them both to look at the DVD captures remind me of the dark old VCI disc from way back when, which is why the Image was so highly praised as an upgrade when it was first released (except, I seem to remember, for some really rough looking credits.)

The old VCI disc from 1999 actually looks pretty bright: screenshot.  But it has no sharpness at all as you can see.  The Image disc does have a scratchy and blurry opening credits, but the special features include the offensive "Ten Little N-----" opening credits that look great.  So it seems the reason why the Image disc looks great is that it came from a British print that has the offensive opening credits.

#11 of 15 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 06:47 PM

The old VCI disc from 1999 actually looks pretty bright: screenshot.  

oh wow, thanks for that!  I haven't seen it in years as I gave the VCI away when I got the Image, but I don't know why I remembered the VCI as very dark and murky.  Memory's a funny thing, I guess!

#12 of 15 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,175 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 30 2013 - 02:46 AM

Well, my BD has shipped so I'll do my own comparison on my HT setup to the Image and VCI DVDs that I still have in my collection.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 15 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 07:57 AM

Well, my BD has shipped so I'll do my own comparison on my HT setup to the Image and VCI DVDs that I still have in my collection.

YAY!!!!  I'd hate to buy the blu and wind up with a MARTHA IVERS situation!! 

Looking forward to your observations, sir  :)

#14 of 15 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 30 2013 - 10:59 PM

Mine shipped before I got around to canceling it. oh well
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#15 of 15 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts