-

Photo
- - - - -

do sales on shows indicate a better product in the making ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 03:13 PM

i thought we might make this thread about sales of items, to keep people updated about the sale itself.

and also to possibly clue us in on a new release of some sort ?

mary tyler moore is on sale for $67.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 26 2013 - 03:34 PM

Already have that thread.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 06:35 PM

Regarding MaryTyler Moore, the individual seasons have been on sale at Amazon for $10 or less as many as 5 times since 2010. Since this complete set is nothing more then a repackaging of the original sets it makes a 6th times for some of these seasons.

Can a sale like this be indicator of some sort of new release, I'd say it can. Some times as just a repackaging of the same content, but every once in a while something new. But more often then not it is just a way to dump stock that has collected and needs to be moved. Searching camelcamelcamel.com is a good reflector of Amazon pricing per product across time. just use it to search any complete series and you will see this common trend.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:54 PM

hi brad,

thanks for the info. 

one thing that i did not make clear in my first post, is that i was referring to sales on complete series, not just individual seasons.

it was my understanding, from reading the amazon description, that 7 seasons was a complete series ?

if all the individual seasons have been cheaply priced before, it probably is more of a sign of just getting rid of an excess of product.

but that could still mean a new product on the making - as the current product may never sell out if they put out a better release of it.

anyways, i thought it would be nice if people could continue to post sales on complete series, especially like in this case, where the discount was substantial.

i think it was little house that just had a big discount, at the same time that neil stated there was something astir, regarding a new release ?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:33 PM

Jimmy,

Yes, I did realize you were referencing complete series. However, In the case of MTM it does not look like a studio complete series release. It appears more like Amazon is just bundling all the individual seasons together for a single complete set price. I don't even think it will come with a single outer shell box to hold the sets (I could be wrong), but will just be all seasons shrink wrapped together. Amazon (as well as others) do this from time to time with series. If that is correct, that is why I thought it was relevant to mention sales on single seasons since one could have easily matched this price by buying all the individual seasons separately during the multiple sales over the years.

So this could still be a sign of just getting rid of excess product. And complete series fall into the same situation as single seasons based on the need to get rid of excess. So from my experience (and checking the website I mentioned from time to time to determine how often and low sales can get for an item of interest), I find that more often than not it is just dumping and not a sign of a new and improved product coming out in the near future. Especially, when reviews have been mixed on the quality of the sets in question. Leading one to assume sales may not have been up to expectation and the likelihood of excess product being available.

So in just answering the question in the thread title, yes it can but very rarely, IMO.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:53 PM

i see.  okay, i was hoping for a more positive answer !!!

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 06:53 AM

http://www.amazon.co...Complete Series

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 08:27 PM

The West Wing: The Complete Series Collection (2006) - $94.96