Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How About 1984's "The Killing Fields"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted August 26 2013 - 11:36 AM

This is a film I have found extremely moving for 30 years now and would love to see a Blu-ray. Dr. Haing Ngor's performance is remarkable, especially given his true life story in Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge regime. A well-deserved Academy Award.

The fact that Dr. Ngor managed to survive the genocide during the 70s there, but die in Los Angeles at the hands of a thief never ceases to amaze me.

Barring an American release, are the imports of any quality? I haven't seen any reviews.

The existing DVD is certainly poor, with fading and print damage. Watchable, but could be so much better.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,478 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:13 AM

The Kulter Spigel edition from Germany I excellent -- it contains the same bonus features (commentary, trailer) as the domestic Warner Bros DVD, and the PQ Is totally fine. I cannot vouch or the Studio Canal edition.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted August 27 2013 - 10:39 AM

The Amazon Germany website states the Spigel Edition as Region B. There's no mention of a region code for the Studio Canal version, although in the fine print both are listed as Studio Canal. Will the Spigel Edition play in a Region A player? There's a pretty significant price difference for some reason.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 11:54 AM

The Amazon Germany website states the Spigel Edition as Region B. There's no mention of a region code for the Studio Canal version, although in the fine print both are listed as Studio Canal. Will the Spigel Edition play in a Region A player? There's a pretty significant price difference for some reason.

I had the Dutch Blu Ray, I would not recommend it to be honest, PQ is very poor.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,478 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 01:05 PM

The Spigel edition is Region-B locked.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 916 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted August 27 2013 - 02:44 PM

This is another of my favorites. The Acting is incredible, Dr. Ngor's performance in particular.  It IS extremely moving, and I cry just about every time I watch it. Hopefully, it'll come soon. A Bio of Dr. Ngor would be welcome on the Blu.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,478 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 02:55 PM

This is one of a hundred or so films I cannot believe hasn't been released in the U.S. by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users