What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-27-2013 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

– Carey Mulligan & Leonardo DiCaprio (The Great Gatsby – 2013)

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye – 1950

–Carole Lombard (To Be or Not to Be – 1942)

–Dwayne Johnson & Mark Wahlberg (Pain & Gain– 2013)

Only the Valiant – 1951

–Kon-Tiki – 1950

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
1939: Battle of Westerplatte   $12.96 $19.99
American Brawler   $12.99 $12.99
Among Friends   $16.93 $24.99
And Then There Were None   $11.99 $12.99
Barbie Mariposa & the Fairy Princess   $14.96 $14.99 $12.99
Best of Warner Bros. [DC Comics 25 Cartoon Collection]   $19.99 $19.99
Billy the Kid   $16.93 $24.99
Call Me Fitz: The Complete Third Season   $14.99 $14.99
A Company Man   $11.93 $12.99
Eclipse Series 39: Early Fassbinder [Criterion Collection]   $48.99 $59.99
Elementary: The First Season   $43.29 $39.99 $27.99
Flat Top [Olive Films]  $14.99 $14.99
The Great Gatsby   $17.99 $18.99 $16.99
Grey's Anatomy [The Complete 9th Season]   $38.96 $34.99
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye [Olive Films]  $14.99 $14.99
Kon-Tiki   $19.99 $14.99
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The   $20.93 $19.99
Monsters Wanted   $14.99
NYC Underground   $16.93 $24.99
Pain & Gain   $16.99 $19.99 $14.99
Penny Serenade [Olive Films]  $14.99 $14.99
The Reluctant Fundamentalist   $12.99 $12.99
Sapphire & Steele: The Complete Series   $30.93 $34.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five   $39.96 $34.99 $24.99
Stranded   $19.99 $24.99
Super Buddies   $19.96 $19.99 $17.99
Tied   $22.48 $19.99
To Be or Not to Be [1942] [Criterion Collection]  $19.99 $24.99
Unit 7   $24.99 $19.99
The Walking Dead: Season  3 $39.96 $49.99 $24.99
The Walking Dead: Season 3 [Limited Edition] $34.96 $19.99

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
$19.99 $19.99
American Brawler [Blu-ray]   $12.99 $12.99
And Then There Were None    $14.99 $14.99
Barbie Mariposa & the Fairy Princess [Blu-ray]   $19.96 $19.99 $17.99
A Company Man   $12.93 $14.99
Dark Angel   $13.99
Flat Top  [Olive Films]  $24.99 $24.99
Graham Parker & The Rumor: This Is Live   $19.99 $19.99
The Great Gatsby    $22.99 $22.99 $22.99
The Great Gatsby   [3-D] $29.99 $29.99
The Idolmaker   $14.99 $14.99
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye  [Olive Films]  $24.99 $24.99
Kon-Tiki    $24.99 $19.99
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh    $24.96 $24.99
Only the Valiant [Olive Films] $24.99 $24.99
Pain & Gain    $17.99 $22.99 $19.99
Pawn Shop Chronicles [Blu-ray]   $17.99 $17.99
Penny Serenade  [Olive Films]  $24.99 $24.99
Prime Suspect: Complete Collection   $83.99 $109.99
Q: The Winged Serpent   $13.99 $14.99
The Reluctant Fundamentalist   $19.99 $14.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five   $44.96 $39.99 $29.99
Stranded   $14.99 $14.99
Super Buddies   $24.96 $24.99 $22.99
To Be or Not to Be [1942]  [Criterion Collection]  $27.99 $34.99
The Walking Dead: Season  3 $49.96 $39.99 $29.99
The Walking Dead: Season 3  [Limited Edition Blu-ray]   $98.96 $94.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--At Best Buy, this week, purchase Blu-ray of GI Joe: Retaliation at 50% off (Regular price $29.99)  WHEN you also buy Pain & Gain ($22.99 Blu).  

--Best Buy also has an  EXCLUSIVE SONS OF ANARCHY OPIE T-SHIRT available (for just $5.99) with the purchase of Sons of Anarchy: Season 5 on either Blu or DVD.  (Regular price of the T-shirt $19.99).  BB also has the DVDs of Seasons 1-3 of SOA for $19.99 apiece and the Season 4 DVDs for $24.99.

--Best Buy also has an EXCLUSIVE 8-disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack release of The Walking Dead: Season 3 available for $39.99.    Earlier seasons are also on sale:

$19.99:  Season 1 DVD

$24.99:  Season 1 Blu

$29.99:  Season 2 DVD

$36.99:  Season 2 Blu

--Best Buy is advertising  a $10 off coupon for Grey's Anatomy: Season 9.  Go to www.abctvondvd.com for coupon.  

--And, BB is also advertising up to $8 FREE MOVIE ADMISSION to see Disney's summer theatrical release Planes  on their copies of Disney's Super Buddies this week.  

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$7.99:  Kick-Ass

$12.99:  Kick-Ass (Blu Combo Pack).

$19.99:  Epic

$22.99:  Epic (Blu CP)

$27.99:  Epic (3-D Blu CP).

--Best Buy continues it's deal to get 500 BONUS Reward Zone Points when you spend $50 on DVD and Blu TV titles (or get 1250 BONUS Reward Zone points when you spend more than $100 on DVD and Blu TV titles.

The following titles are all on sale (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$16.99:  The Big Bang Theory: Seasons 1-5 (apiece),  The Vampire Diaries: Seasons 1-3 (apiece)

$19.99:  The Big Bang Theory: Seasons 1-5 (Blu) (apiece), The Vampire Diaries: Seasons 1-3 (Blu) (apiece)

$37.99:  Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

$44.99:  Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 (Blu)

--BB is also advertising up to $8 in Fandango Cash toward a movie ticket to see your choice of The World's End, Kick-Ass 2 or Riddick when you purchase these or other select titles (offer expires 10-20-13):

$9.99:  Role Models (Blu), Four Movie Collection:  Flash Gordon/Last Starfighter/Battlestar Galactica/Dune (DVD),  Double Feature: Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz (DVD)

$12.99:  Double Feature: Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz (Blu), 3-movie Riddick Collection (DVD)

$14.99:  3-movie Riddick Collection (Blu)

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--At Target this week, SAVE $5 instantly when you buy BOTH The Great Gatsy DVD or Blu-ray AND a copy of the book of The Great Gatsby (paperback shown for $12).  Also, Target  has 20 MINUTES OF EXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT on it's Blu of The Great Gatsy.  The ad is not clear if the bonus content carries over to their DVD versions as well.

--Target is also advertising EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING with its Blu copies of The Walking Dead: Season 3

--And, continuing a trend this week, Target has 25 MINUTES OF EXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT with its copies of Elementary: Season 1

--Pay attention.  This is important.  You can get a FREE BARBIE MINI-DOLL when you buy EITHER Barbie: Mariposa on DVD or Blu-ray OR a Mariposa or Catania "Feature Doll" (on sale for $24.99 apiece).  Items packaged separately.  Mini-doll valued at $6.99.  Assortment varies by store.  Free offer quantities limited.  No rain checks.  

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $4.75 DVDs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick up Sons Of Anarchy: Season Five this week. I had planned on waiting for The Walking Dead but I doubt it'll drop much below $30 (maybe another $5 some day) so I may grab that too.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A fair number of releases scheduled for me to review haven't arrived yet (Sons of Anarchy, Winnie the Pooh), but they should get here eventually.

Waiting to read some reviews of And Then There Were None before I purchase.

Thanks, Mike!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for this. Pooh is too expensive for a catalog title (thanks to the inclusion of the digital copy) so I'll wait on it until it goes down. Kon-Tiki this week, and I can't recomend it highly enough.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'll be getting The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh (preordered via HTF months ago).

I have a question about the Digital Copies (which I don't think add to the price - Disney classic animated are always priced higher). The code with The Muppet Movie didn't have an ITunes version, and I ended up getting the Amazon version (I think the other option was Vudu). Is there a way to bring this down to my hard-drive? I tend to watch digital on my phone when I'm NOT connected to the Internet, and a streaming version doesn't work for me. Do we know if that is the new Disney direction, meaning that TMAOWTP will not have a work-able digital copy.

David

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Gatsby 3D and a couple of those catalog titles for me, eventually.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
So, Target is not carrying Gatsby 3D, then? I was planning on getting it there for the exclusive bonus content, plus there's a 10% off Cartwheel coupon this week. I guess I'll check the store on Tuesday morning and if it's a no-go, I'll snag a copy on Amazon. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for 3D Blu-ray at Target.

I was in Walmart the other day and the section that always had at least two rows of Blu-rays has been replaced completely by DVD's. Aside from a $7.88 dump bin, there was nary a Blu-ray to be found on any shelf.

My local Best Buy has reduced their media section by more than half and it's now buried in the back of the store by the major appliance section.

I fear there are some seriously dark days ahead for media retail around here...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
JakeLip said:
Thanks for this. Pooh is too expensive for a catalog title (thanks to the inclusion of the digital copy) so I'll wait on it until it goes down.
I don't know how much it's actually going to come down. Disney movies, as a general rule, don't go on sale very often at retail.

My Winnie the Pooh is en route from Amazon. That'll be it for a few weeks (about time!).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I know they don't go on sale very often, but Disney has already reduced the SRPs of Treasure Planet and Home on the Range which came out last summer. Once it gets a studio price drop to eliminate the cost of the digital copy, I'll consider it. I want it but have spent enough on new titles lately without having to spend $25 on something I have on dvd already.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Matt Hough said:
Been thinking the same thing - anybody hear anything about this?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I was waiting on ATTWN, but I saw a link on their Facebook (VCI) showing the restoration work and that sold me. I'll report back when it arrives Tuesday from Amazon, one of the last VHS titles I can retire now!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Moe Dickstein said:
I was waiting on ATTWN, but I saw a link on their Facebook (VCI) showing the restoration work and that sold me. I'll report back when it arrives Tuesday from Amazon, one of the last VHS titles I can retire now!
Looking forward to your opinions.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
JakeLip said:
Yeah, I know they don't go on sale very often, but Disney has already reduced the SRPs of Treasure Planet and Home on the Range which came out last summer. Once it gets a studio price drop to eliminate the cost of the digital copy, I'll consider it. I want it but have spent enough on new titles lately without having to spend $25 on something I have on dvd already.
There were a number of Disney discs, including some fairly recent releases, on sale for under $20 at Costco maybe a month ago. I forget which ones, exactly.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
pitchman said:
So, Target is not carrying Gatsby 3D, then? I was planning on getting it there for the exclusive bonus content, plus there's a 10% off Cartwheel coupon this week. I guess I'll check the store on Tuesday morning and if it's a no-go, I'll snag a copy on Amazon. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for 3D Blu-ray at Target.

I was in Walmart the other day and the section that always had at least two rows of Blu-rays has been replaced completely by DVD's. Aside from a $7.88 dump bin, there was nary a Blu-ray to be found on any shelf.

My local Best Buy has reduced their media section by more than half and it's now buried in the back of the store by the major appliance section.

I fear there are some seriously dark days ahead for media retail around here...
I hear ya. I want Gatsby in 3D, and was surprised that the lowest price seems to be $29.99.

Finding stuff at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy is becoming increasingly difficult.

My only saving grace is that there is a Fry's close-by, they seem to be the only ones that keep a large inventory of physical media. Unfortunately they don't take any kind of coupons at all...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Target doesn't appear to even be selling Gatsby 3D, it's not on their web site at all.

Also up in the grid, Pain and Gain is $19.99 at Amazon not $17.99

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
Clay_E said:
Been thinking the same thing - anybody hear anything about this?
Moe Dickstein said:
Moe Dickstein said:
Amazon is showing "2 to 5 weeks" for ATTWN, so I don't think my copy is coming tonight...
Apparently, there has been a delay on the Blu...but not the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks