• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 SAMMY12

SAMMY12

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 01:42 PM

Looking to buy a 55 inch led tv , I use hdmi from my pc to tv so smart tv not needed and same for 3d. So basically want a tv with an excellent picture. We. watch a lot of sports, movies,news. One week ago bought a  Samsung 6030 from Costco  but picture  no matter what I do not sharp and colour the same so probably will return although the price of 880 Canadian along with 5 year warranty 3 years with square deal and 2 with Costco for 99.00  pretty good..

I could probably go up to 1600 American  or thereabouts but picture is main thing. I talked to a tech at Future Shop and they said they could calibrate for 300 but I thought that was a bit much. Best picture I can get is with vivid and eco off.. The tv is in a moderately bright room during day and I notice the picture is significantly better  as daylight wanes and a living room lamp is only soure of light so led being great for brighter rooms doesn't seem to ring true....hopefully some of you can advise  models and manufacturesr i will be happy with my purchase.....thanks sammy12

#2 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 11,962 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 21 2013 - 02:04 PM

If you bought one and didn't like it...

Buy a plasma.

#3 of 5 Type A

Type A

Advanced Member

• 770 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted August 21 2013 - 04:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Garry. :)

Thats quite the bump up in budget but $1600 will get you a great TV.  Keep in mind that light in a viewing room affects all TVs regardless of the display technology.  Matte screens do the best cutting down on light reflections. A Panasonic or Samsung plasma will give you the second highest native contrast ratio on the market, only D-Ila can beat it.   Plasma wont beat a LCD (LED) in brightness but it will beat it in every other way, better fast motion will be significant since you watch lots of sports.  Spend some time at Cnet watching reviews for specifics on models.  

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106".  Secondary:  Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST30.
Paradigm Studio Version 5: 20 (5) &  ADP-590 (2).  Hsu: VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2).
Yamaha RXA3010 & Emotiva XPA5. Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP5000. Xbox 360, Integra DPT1.
*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#4 of 5 SAMMY12

SAMMY12

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, The panasonic plasma tc-pst60 is rated very high by cnet and around 1300 American,  980 or so on Pauls tv seems like it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks again for suggestion as reviewers state that in a bright room it is almost equal to a led and blows away competition in a darkened room like I have after supper living in Canadian north......thanks sammy12

#5 of 5 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,305 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted August 22 2013 - 06:22 AM

Best picture I can get is with vivid and eco off

this comment is very telling. Vivid Mode and image quality have NOTHING to do with each other.

Assuming the calibrator knows what he is doing (and that is a big IF with FS and BB), the $300 would be the best money you could ever spend.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users