Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Community - Season 5

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#61 of 201 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted January 10 2014 - 12:05 PM

I think we can safely say the six seasons part of the equation is looking good. So long as they hold those numbers, NBC won't cancel them. It's the classic syndication boost.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#62 of 201 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted January 10 2014 - 02:53 PM

I'm gonna put my Graysmith-cap on, and say my personal theory is that it was Abed. No idea about motive, but he probably got the idea after a Fincher-marathon, combined with misinterpreting Troy's penchant for "butt stuff." Notice how Troy's call goes straight to voicemail when calling Abed right before the attack...

Also, I want to know more about the Fountain Pooper.

(A descendant of English Memorial, trying to cure their own case of syphilis, and having an accident instead?)

A spot-on Zodiac parody, right down to capturing the paranoid mood of the city during the crime wave, including the music. Amazing. That scene with Duncan and Annie, holy shit. And the serial killer letters were something that took me completely by surprise. "People make better banks than piggies..." Wow.

They're going to miss Donald Glover. He was unbelievable here.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#63 of 201 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,392 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 03:00 PM

I thought it was Abed because the cadence of the altered voice sounded like Abed.

#64 of 201 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 10 2014 - 04:03 PM

I thought it was Abed because the cadence of the altered voice sounded like Abed.

I had the same thought. This show would probably play fair and use Pudi's altered voice too rather than another actor to keep it secret.

#65 of 201 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 04:43 PM

Wasn't it Duncan and Britta?

#66 of 201 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:48 PM

Wasn't it Duncan and Britta?

Due to being a moron and that I found it to be an average episode, I had already forgotten that it was Britta but how was Duncan implicated?

#67 of 201 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 09:09 AM

The whole scene in his office with annie, and the fact that the coinings had stopped while he was gone. I assumed it was him, and then Britta took over it looked like

#68 of 201 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 10:57 AM

She could be the bandit, yup. Everyone in that montage is pretty much fair game. She did do that, uhm, "digital exploration" with Subway, and dated Troy "Butt Soup" Barnes...

There's that great gag at the end with Britta, where she's writing her book/paper about the Ass Crack Bandit, but she types out, "The Ass Crack Britta"...she totally Britta'd the name. It's the weird little details like this which let you know Harmon is back in charge.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#69 of 201 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,546 posts

Posted January 12 2014 - 02:38 PM

Well, that was a WONDERFUL episode. I'll agree with others that it wasn't a laugh-out-loud experience as I found with last weeks double-dose, but it was so superbly produced and laced with jokes that come back to tickle you later that I can't help but be a big fan of this one.

So far, Community is firmly back on track after last season's likable but ultimately bizzaro version of itself. 

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#70 of 201 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 07:01 PM

Holy. Shit.

2a22056169b5b3a10a073ffc5e491853.jpg

"SILENCE, WENCH!!!"

Just aces, and a great way to send off Troy, although I suppose next week will be the true farewell. Also, sperm.

#71 of 201 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 07:09 PM

How people felt about last week's episode is how I felt about this week's episode.

Walton Goggins was great. I like how he even used Pierce's "A-bed" pronunciation.

I loved everyone but Troy being grossed out by Jeff's battle trophies/panties.

#72 of 201 spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:57 PM

Holy crap this episode was running an all cylinders for me.  I was laughing so much I think I missed a good 1/3rd of what was said.  Lots of feels at the end and a nice set up for Troy to leave.  Just a top notch episode and probably one of my most favorite.

#73 of 201 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,472 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:11 AM

Freaking epic.

"You told me a hawk stole them!  You exploited me and made me believe in a slightly more magical world."  Holy shit...did they just drop a Ladyhawke reference?  I'm still laughing.

Gay man says what?

Harmon & Co. know no equals when it comes to writing rapid fire bottle episodes.  Except maybe the obligatory sperm.

• joshEH likes this

#74 of 201 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,282 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 17 2014 - 10:15 AM

I know I'm venturing on beating a dead horse, but compare last night's episode to last season's similar "confessions" episode, "Intro to Felt Surrogacy." Last night didn't involve a puppet gimmick or flashback structure to tell the story. It was a total bottle episode with just the cast sitting in a room, reeling off some hilarious dialogue while also providing some genuinely touching moments and themes. It managed to provide a fitting send off for Pierce (without him even being in the room) as well as set up a proper reason for Troy to leave. Both episodes were written by new additions to the writing staff, making last night's episode the strongest case yet for Harmon making Community tick.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#75 of 201 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 11:00 AM

Don't always pay too much attention to the names credited as the writer, that means they do the first draft. Everything gets run through Dan's keyboard

#76 of 201 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,639 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 17 2014 - 11:20 AM

Loving the new season so far!

#77 of 201 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 11:28 AM

Don't always pay too much attention to the names credited as the writer, that means they do the first draft. Everything gets run through Dan's keyboard

While Harmon is a huge part of the show's success and rewrites all the scripts, I think he and every other showrunner gets way too much credit since there's a roomful of other writers that are pitching ideas and jokes all day too. It's the same reason that I'm not a big fan of the auteur theory in movies, it takes more than one person to make a movie or TV show.

#78 of 201 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:04 PM

In this case, it's largely Dan. Do you know him and many that work on the show personally? I do.

#79 of 201 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:04 PM

McKenna and Dino are big factors and everyone contributes but the structures and polish are Dan.

#80 of 201 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:36 PM

Do you know him and many that work on the show personally?

No but looking at this post,

McKenna and Dino are big factors and everyone contributes but the structures and polish are Dan.

It still seems like we're in agreement. As I said, Harmon is a huge part of the show's success and despite not knowing him personally, I'm assuming that he'd be the first guy to remind fans that it's not a one-man show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users