Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

1910's, 1920's, and 1930's: Excellent or Exclusive Imports

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   jra66

jra66

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 05:09 AM

DVD or Blu

I am looking for international film collections or single discs that may be exclusive or excellent releases from the early 20th century.  For example.  I just ordered an 8 Disc Douglas Fairbanks collection from Germany

http://www.amazon.de...uglas fairbanks

I've also recently picked up the 1935 Three Musketeers from Spain.

I've done well in my classic film collection to cover the 40's and 50's but I know little of anything prior.  Amazon.com seems to be littered with public domain and other random releases from the early part of the century. Only Kino and Criterion seem to do a decent job of releasing these earlier films, but rarely in collections like above.  What else has been released that I may be missing.

Edited by jra66, August 21 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#2 of 4 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,927 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:18 AM

Well, it kind of depends on which format you are looking for.For Blu-ray, the teens/twenties (silent era) is limited. Chaplains, Keaton's, D.W. Griffith, etc. The Thirties has a lot of titles. Probably a few hundred titles.Now if you are thinking DVD, there are thousands of titles available, especially once you get to the sound era.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 26 2013 - 05:13 PM

The German edition of Fritz Lang's  'M'. available through Amazon.de, is reported to be superior to the US Criterion which I have.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:48 PM

Warner Archives has hundreds of DVD mod titles that fit your request and the quality is usually most reliable.

Go to their site and take a look, you are sure to be impressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users