Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek Into Darkness iTunes

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 01:05 AM

Interesting development.  It seems, as part of the iTunes extras, INTO DARKNESS has an enhanced commentary track, exclusive to iTunes.  Get this; the enhanced commentary is the IMAX version of the film, i.e., footage shot with the IMAX cameras opens up to 1.78.

This is a seconded encoded file, as part of iTunes Extras.  The first encoded file (the film itself) is in 2.39, with no commentary track.  Even more interesting is that the BD will not have an IMAX version of the film on any of the releases.

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#2 of 12 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:12 AM

Interesting development.  It seems, as part of the iTunes extras, INTO DARKNESS has an enhanced commentary track, exclusive to iTunes.  Get this; the enhanced commentary is the IMAX version of the film, i.e., footage shot with the IMAX cameras opens up to 1.78.

This is a seconded encoded file, as part of iTunes Extras.  The first encoded file (the film itself) is in 2.39, with no commentary track.  Even more interesting is that the BD will not have an IMAX version of the film on any of the releases.

Can I get the 3D version through itunes like I can on BD?

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#3 of 12 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,659 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:23 AM

I don't think any streaming sites host 3D files. I haven't seen any for any movies personally.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 12 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:52 AM

I believe VuDu does.

#5 of 12 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 12:03 PM

iTunes Extras can only be viewed on your computer, right? They don't work on the Apple TV, do they?

#6 of 12 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 21 2013 - 12:53 PM

Currently, that is correct. Only the computer can play iTunes extras.

#7 of 12 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 01:02 PM

@Neil,

Not necessarily.  I AirPlay'ed this enhanced commentary (in HD) from my PC to my living room TV that has an Apple TV hooked to it and it worked beautifully.  I did the same thing a while ago with the iTunes version of Prometheus with the commentary by Ridley Scott.  Worked just as well.

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#8 of 12 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 21 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks, Cory. Never tried AirPlay.

#9 of 12 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 02:05 PM

I happened to try it by accident.  When I was watching my digital copy of Prometheus with the commentary, I saw the  AirPlay icon on my computer.  I figured, "what the hell, give it a try."  And it worked beautifully.  Same thing here, although the enhanced commentary balloons the film for another 30 minutes than the film itself, so I thought my wifi wouldn't be able to do it. 

#10 of 12 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:32 PM

It's playing on my TV now. It's not HD, but the aspect ratio is indeed shifting. Thanks for the tip!

#11 of 12 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,072 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 22 2013 - 04:50 PM

Damn. Thought it was in HD. The regular iTunes version is in HD correct?
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#12 of 12 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yes that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users