-

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a difference in the age of uncompressed sound?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 348 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted August 20 2013 - 07:02 PM

I just emailed DTS, which has always been my audio encode of choice, if there is any discernible difference between Dolby and DTS now that uncompressed audio is a thing?  I do not have the equipment to take advantage of either lossless format, but was curious what, if any, difference there is to be had?

Speaking naively, I would think that uncompressed is uncompressed whether you slap a DTS logo or Dolby Logo on it, but I don't know for sure. 

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,707 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 21 2013 - 03:04 AM

From what I've read they are indeed identicle. But Master Audio seems to be the go-to choice for most users which is strange since DTS MA wasn't included in many of the first Bluray players, like my Samsung 1400 and Pioneer Elite BDP-05. It took almost a year and a half for Pioneer to add MA via firmware release. Samsung never did. They made you buy the 1500.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted August 21 2013 - 03:17 AM

DolbyHD can carry metadata and DTSmaster is capable of a higher max bit rate.  In regards to blu ray neither of those will affect the end result and both will sound the same.  I believe DTSmaster is mixed hotter, all that means is less gain at your amp to produce the same SPL.  Essentially the two formats are identical, any difference you might notice happens at the mixing stage and is not a result of the compression format itself.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 21 2013 - 05:07 AM

The "net result" no matter what package is used is LPCM.

Just like in the days SACD and DVD-A were discussed to death...

Yes there are differences, but 99.9% of discs never use even 50%  of the capacity either provide.

And unless I'm having a brainfart(and have them switched)...

DTS HD and DVD-A are technically the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users