Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with Bass in a theater room.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   tenaciousD

tenaciousD

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi, I've recently been unemployed and so a friend of my father offered me cash if I can fix his home theater woes. His main concern is that he has spent alot of money on his system but not getting the quality he would like. He is an audiophile nut, but never really got his room set up properly. The surround sound is perfect but I can understand his concern with the bass in the room. His setup is as follows:

He is running a set of MK 150 series, it is a 11.2 system. The subwoofers are placed on the left and right sides of the room, centre of the wall, but they are both inside the wall (which I'm guessing is a major problem). The amplifier powering all of this is an integra DHC 80.3 receiver and a Integra DTA 70.1 as a slave amp. The subs are two MX350 MKII.

What are some tips you can give me in giving him some more bass. What he told me is "If I go outside the bass almost sounds better than in the actual room." I do have some experience in Audio Visual setup, just not with this quality of equipment and surround sound. Any help would be excellent.

#2 of 6 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,463 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:14 PM

The Integra DHC 80.3 is not a receiver. It is a pre-pro.

Audyssey didn't come up with a reasonable response?

And your description of where the subs are almost makes no sense.(unless you really mean half-way down both walls, directly opposite of each other...cancelling each other out...)

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   tenaciousD

tenaciousD

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:41 PM

sorry I meant that subs are on the ground in the middle of the wall. here is a picture http://imgur.com/WFXW6XE .  The amp is on the left hand side, pulled out of the wall. It is identical on the other side of the room. So your saying the subs are cancelling each other out? sorry i didnt mean to type receiver either. What is your advice for sub placement?

Edited by tenaciousD, August 18 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#4 of 6 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,463 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:49 PM

Put them facing the same direction...and not each other, for starters.

Did he put those subs in the wall? Looks like there is a hollow wall cutout.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   tenaciousD

tenaciousD

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yeah thats what I meant, they have been placed in a hollow box in the wall (I cannot see why you would do that).

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi, I've recently been unemployed and so a friend of my father offered me cash if I can fix his home theater woes. His main concern is that he has spent alot of money on his system but not getting the quality he would like. He is an audiophile nut, but never really got his room set up properly. The surround sound is perfect but I can understand his concern with the bass in the room. His setup is as follows:

He is running a set of MK 150 series, it is a 11.2 system. The subwoofers are placed on the left and right sides of the room, centre of the wall, but they are both inside the wall (which I'm guessing is a major problem). The amplifier powering all of this is an integra DHC 80.3 receiver and a Integra DTA 70.1 as a slave amp. The subs are two MX350 MKII.

What are some tips you can give me in giving him some more bass. What he told me is "If I go outside the bass almost sounds better than in the actual room." I do have some experience in Audio Visual setup, just not with this quality of equipment and surround sound. Any help would be excellent.

Do you have a laptop? Download REW and purchase an inexpensive mic. (50 bucks). Spend a bit of time with it on your own system being sure you get consistent and repeatable results before you go over his house. Once you can see what's going on at his seating positions----that is huge and really the only way to do things the right way. 

Otherwise, check the basics, seating midpoint between two parallel boundaries? bad. Move the seats a little. Check phasing/ timing on the subs versus the mains and sub 1 versus sub 2. Bass management settings----all speakers set to 80hz?  The 80.3 has Audy Sub EQ HT. Is he taking advantage of that(one sub connected to different pre-outs on the 80.3?.

Tom V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users