Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jobs - quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 01:55 PM

So, it's no "Social Network" in the scripting, but it wasn't terrible or droll.  There are gaps that play out in Steve Jobs' personal life that get some service at the start of the Apple empire, but then nothing is mentioned until the very end, and it's very confusing.  As to portraying Steve Jobs as a ruthless PC technology visionary, the film stays in that lane for most of its running time.  Ashton Kutcher (as Jobs) was okay, not super-rangy but not so mediocre as to distract from the story unfolding as it recounts the rise and fall and rise again of Jobs at Apple.  I sort of wanted to know more about what happened to the people who helped Jobs create Apple from its infancy, and you don't really get much in that department.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 18 2013 - 03:21 PM

So, it's no "Social Network" in the scripting, but it wasn't terrible or droll.  There are gaps that play out in Steve Jobs' personal life that get some service at the start of the Apple empire, but then nothing is mentioned until the very end, and it's very confusing.  As to portraying Steve Jobs as a ruthless PC technology visionary, the film stays in that lane for most of its running time.  Ashton Kutcher (as Jobs) was okay, not super-rangy but not so mediocre as to distract from the story unfolding as it recounts the rise and fall and rise again of Jobs at Apple.  I sort of wanted to know more about what happened to the people who helped Jobs create Apple from its infancy, and you don't really get much in that department.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Patrick,

Did you see the TV film Pirates of Silicon Valley?  If so which film gives you a better picture of who Job was and motivated him?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 03:28 PM

No not yet, but supposedly "Pirates of Silicon Valley" is more well regarded. 

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 18 2013 - 03:31 PM

No not yet, but supposedly "Pirates of Silicon Valley" is more well regarded. 

Which doesn't say much for Jobs, since that film had to tell two stories, Jobs/Apple and Gates/Microsoft.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 18 2013 - 03:57 PM

Frankly, "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" was filmed at a moment when Apple was at their low.. they were teetering near bankruptcy and Microsoft loaned them a fairly sizable amount of money to rebuild, as well as take out stock options; MS also assigned over programmers to work for them.. unthinkable now.

But the Pirates of Silicon Valley works because it covers Jobs as a true genius, but also a troubled genius.. it went through a lot of his infighting and return, and also caught the revival of Apple.

I saw "Jobs" and found that Steve Wozniak's criticism is pretty valid; the movie at times greatly overstates Jobs - who was never a technical guru - and underplays so many others that played along.   When you look at something like Pirates of Silicon Valley, some of the great things about it was the playoff of Xerox PARC, etc. 

This version of the Steve Jobs story is lifeless.  It doesn't really cover Jobs in a way that gives you the high highs and the low lows to let you know how turbulent and fairly amazing his life was.. as such, it just sits there. 

This is a great potential story to tell, like a second half from Pirates of Silicon Valley, but this film doesn't do it.  I found this to be a fairly sad and at times sloppy effort of filmmaking.

C-

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 04:16 PM

I got the idea that Kutcher liked the idea of being filmed walking with that weird Jobs' gait.  :D

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 03:54 AM

JOBS came in 7th at the boxoffice this weekend, a very poor result.

Here's the paragraph from Box Office Guru:

Moviegoers didn't buy into Ashton Kutcher playing a genius as the biopic Jobs flopped in its opening weekend grossing an estimated $6.7M from 2,381 theaters for a poor $2,814 average. The Open Road release about Apple co-founder Steve Jobs earned negative reviews and never really energized paying movie audiences who gave it a lackluster B- grade from CinemaScore.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 06:56 AM

Here's a good article about what the movie should have included, though there are spoilers about the film's contents in the article.  I also wanted to see coverred the period in the late 1980s when Jobs was out there with the Next Cube as I remember seeing them at campus bookstore, all black and shiny, and so costly, but was ahead of its time.  And of course, the film pretty much skips the comeback storyline from the IPod and onwards to the IPad, sans the opening quick scene from the film's start.

http://www.infoworld...logs_2013-08-19

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,792 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the link, Patrick.  Yeah, the Next Cubes were pretty awesome with software and concepts that outpaced their hardware.  

I haven't seen the film, so I'm not sure exactly what period was covered.  I've read Fire in the Valley which covered the early years (it was originally published in 1984) of Gates and Jobs - which served (at least partly) as the basis for Pirates in the Valley.   I've read Wozniak's comments and I probably won't catch the film until it plays on cable.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 11:14 AM

It mainly covers the mid-1970s up to the early 1980s, and then the mid/late-1990s.  It leaves a big gap in the middle, and the also of the last 15 years too.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 749 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted August 19 2013 - 01:10 PM

Oh how I wish Pirates of Silicon Valley was on Blu-ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users