Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Idolmaker -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Shout Factory MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,002 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 09:52 AM

Taylor Hackford's The Idolmaker, his 1980 take on music promotion and talent management is a quality film, the storyline of which is very close to the reality of the Philadelphia hit and star-making business c. 1960.Short comments on thisThe Idolmaker is a film worthy of your time, and is a quality Blu-ray.Image - 3.75Audio - 4.5Recommended.RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:03 AM

I've always wanted to see this as that was a fascinating period of pop music history, what some call the death of rock n roll until The Beatles came along and saved it.

RAH, what can you tell me about the period aspects of the production? Does it look like the time being depicted or are their disco haircuts? One thing I will say about movies since the 90's, they do a much better job at portraying an authentic period piece than anytime before then in moviemaking history.  

#3 of 13 ONLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,386 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have the IDOLMAKER Blu-ray, and there's just one cut of the film, running 119 minutes (the "TCM print," says the IMDb). I think you're confusing the specs with those for THE DISAPPEARANCE.

Edited by Bob Cashill, August 18 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,002 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have the IDOLMAKER Blu-ray, and there's just one cut of the film, running 119 minutes (the "TCM print," says the IMDb). I think you're confusing the specs with those for THE DISAPPEARANCE.

Entirely possible. Flawed notes. Memory going. Too many chainsaws in the air at once.My mind is going. I can feel it.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,250 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted August 18 2013 - 05:44 PM

Daisy... Daisy...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,002 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 01:00 AM

Daisy... Daisy...

I was taught that same song.We must have had the same teacher. I grew up in Urbana. "Go Cyclops!"

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,250 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted August 19 2013 - 09:21 AM

My instructor was Mr. Langley
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 19 2013 - 10:12 AM

Since RAH ignored my question, can anyone else answer about the historical veracity of the production?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 12:56 PM

Since RAH ignored my question, can anyone else answer about the historical veracity of the production?

Pretty mediocre original score by Jeff Barry, which mostly does not convincingly evoke the sound of late '50s / early '60s pop.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 20 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for being polite and responding, Jon. A movie about music having an uninspired music score is definitely a strike against it. ;)

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted August 20 2013 - 08:51 PM

Try That Thing You Do. Get the DVD rather than the BR, as I have heard the BR doesn't have the Director's Cut. Flawless period clothing, cars, attitudes, etc., and hummable, finger-snapping echt 60s pop tunes. 

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,246 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 21 2013 - 04:01 AM

Try That Thing You Do. Get the DVD rather than the BR, as I have heard the BR doesn't have the Director's Cut. 

The Blu-ray has both the theatrical and director's cuts.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted August 23 2013 - 09:46 PM

The Blu-ray has both the theatrical and director's cuts.

Well, there you go. I much prefer the longer version. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users