What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Idolmaker -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Taylor Hackford's The Idolmaker, his 1980 take on music promotion and talent management is a quality film, the storyline of which is very close to the reality of the Philadelphia hit and star-making business c. 1960.Short comments on thisThe Idolmaker is a film worthy of your time, and is a quality Blu-ray.Image - 3.75Audio - 4.5Recommended.RAH

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I've always wanted to see this as that was a fascinating period of pop music history, what some call the death of rock n roll until The Beatles came along and saved it.

RAH, what can you tell me about the period aspects of the production? Does it look like the time being depicted or are their disco haircuts? One thing I will say about movies since the 90's, they do a much better job at portraying an authentic period piece than anytime before then in moviemaking history.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I have the IDOLMAKER Blu-ray, and there's just one cut of the film, running 119 minutes (the "TCM print," says the IMDb). I think you're confusing the specs with those for THE DISAPPEARANCE.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bob Cashill said:
I have the IDOLMAKER Blu-ray, and there's just one cut of the film, running 119 minutes (the "TCM print," says the IMDb). I think you're confusing the specs with those for THE DISAPPEARANCE.
Entirely possible. Flawed notes. Memory going. Too many chainsaws in the air at once.My mind is going. I can feel it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Moe Dickstein said:
Daisy... Daisy...
I was taught that same song.We must have had the same teacher. I grew up in Urbana. "Go Cyclops!"

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Professor Echo said:
Since RAH ignored my question, can anyone else answer about the historical veracity of the production?
Pretty mediocre original score by Jeff Barry, which mostly does not convincingly evoke the sound of late '50s / early '60s pop.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for being polite and responding, Jon. A movie about music having an uninspired music score is definitely a strike against it. ;)

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Try That Thing You Do. Get the DVD rather than the BR, as I have heard the BR doesn't have the Director's Cut. Flawless period clothing, cars, attitudes, etc., and hummable, finger-snapping echt 60s pop tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks