Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Driver -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Twilight Time Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,937 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 09:20 AM

Seeing Walter Hill's 1978 The Driver again, after many years, has re-confirmed precisely how much Nicholas Refn borrowed from the former.

Seen on Blu-ray for the first time from Fox, via Twilight Time, The Driver is a superb Blu-ray experience.

Color, resolution, film grain, black levels and shadow detail all come together to provide a very cinematic looking home theater offering.

At only 89 minutes, the film is a taut, neo-noirish piece, and as photographed around (mostly) downtown LA by the great Philip Lathrop (look him up, please), it's a generally gritty work.

Very nice work from Fox.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (monaural DTS-HD MA)

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   SeanAx

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 18 2013 - 12:18 PM

And a reminder that Ryan O'Neal had more talent and range he's been given credit for. He is superb as The Driver, convincingly taciturn and hard-boiled, his body language speaking volumes while betraying nothing. It was pure pleasure to revisit this on Blu-ray.

Sean Axmaker
Videophiled, the home video column of Cinephiled (http://www.cinephiled.com/)
Editor of Parallax View (http://parallax-view.org)
Member of the Online Film Critics Society (http://www.rottentom...com/author-229/)

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave GR

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 01:42 PM

Conversely, O'Neal is my main complaint with the film. Whilst I like him as a light leading man, I thought he was completely miscast in The Driver, and quite unconvincing. It's a role that cries out for Steve McQueen and his quiet, cool charisma IMO.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,517 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 18 2013 - 02:00 PM

A favorite for all of its reasons, and now a treasured Blu-ray.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 19 2013 - 07:41 AM

Conversely, O'Neal is my main complaint with the film. Whilst I like him as a light leading man, I thought he was completely miscast in The Driver, and quite unconvincing.

I struggle with these rather obvious box office casting decisions too.  Ryan O'Neal as a tennis pro?  No problem.  It's kind of like seeing a film where one of the most beautiful women on the planet takes a low-paying job as a clerk.  As if she wouldn't have a looooooong list of better options like um ... being an actress .... oh wait ... she is.

So, yeah .. while I haven't seen the film since its release, the scene where ...

Spoiler

Overall, I thought the film had some really good action for its time and I appreciate Walter Hill's style and mood that enveloped this film.

Edited by rich_d, August 19 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   mackjay

mackjay

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 12:49 PM

I watched the blu-ray with a friend and we agreed that Refn must have seen it and did a kind of modernized update, with a romantic subplot. Although, did anyone notice the kiss in the trailer? That was cut from the movie, we figured to give it a harder edge.

Yes, about that smash up of the Mercedes in the parking garage. Way over the top, unnecessary, but fun to watch

And I agree with others about O'Neal. While he does not hurt the film exactly, I think he's miscast. His acting suggests no hidden depths. He just seems vacant. Well, maybe that is what Hill wanted. That said, I think film is an exciting must-see for Noir and Neo-Noir fans, by all means. Bruce Dern gives the best performance, along with Ronee Blakely (sadly a bit wasted in this film, but always great to see). 

Edited by mackjay, August 20 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Oblivion138

Oblivion138

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm pretty sure "beautiful and vacant" is precisely what Hill wanted.  In both the male AND female leads.  Because Adjani is every bit as gorgeous and hollow in her performance as The Player.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Twilight Time, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users