What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Driver -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Seeing Walter Hill's 1978 The Driver again, after many years, has re-confirmed precisely how much Nicholas Refn borrowed from the former.

Seen on Blu-ray for the first time from Fox, via Twilight Time, The Driver is a superb Blu-ray experience.

Color, resolution, film grain, black levels and shadow detail all come together to provide a very cinematic looking home theater offering.

At only 89 minutes, the film is a taut, neo-noirish piece, and as photographed around (mostly) downtown LA by the great Philip Lathrop (look him up, please), it's a generally gritty work.

Very nice work from Fox.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (monaural DTS-HD MA)

Recommended.

RAH

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
And a reminder that Ryan O'Neal had more talent and range he's been given credit for. He is superb as The Driver, convincingly taciturn and hard-boiled, his body language speaking volumes while betraying nothing. It was pure pleasure to revisit this on Blu-ray.

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
Conversely, O'Neal is my main complaint with the film. Whilst I like him as a light leading man, I thought he was completely miscast in The Driver, and quite unconvincing. It's a role that cries out for Steve McQueen and his quiet, cool charisma IMO.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A favorite for all of its reasons, and now a treasured Blu-ray.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Dave GR said:
Conversely, O'Neal is my main complaint with the film. Whilst I like him as a light leading man, I thought he was completely miscast in The Driver, and quite unconvincing.
I struggle with these rather obvious box office casting decisions too. Ryan O'Neal as a tennis pro? No problem. It's kind of like seeing a film where one of the most beautiful women on the planet takes a low-paying job as a clerk. As if she wouldn't have a looooooong list of better options like um ... being an actress .... oh wait ... she is.

So, yeah .. while I haven't seen the film since its release, the scene where ...
The Driver decides to let the guys know who is really in charge by scaring the heck out of them as he smashes up their car in a parking garage ... just fails on general stupidity. What exactly did The Driver expect as an end-game other than getting his pretty face smashed in? Because, if we're going the gritty reality route, that's what really happens to guys like that.

Overall, I thought the film had some really good action for its time and I appreciate Walter Hill's style and mood that enveloped this film.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I watched the blu-ray with a friend and we agreed that Refn must have seen it and did a kind of modernized update, with a romantic subplot. Although, did anyone notice the kiss in the trailer? That was cut from the movie, we figured to give it a harder edge.

Yes, about that smash up of the Mercedes in the parking garage. Way over the top, unnecessary, but fun to watch

And I agree with others about O'Neal. While he does not hurt the film exactly, I think he's miscast. His acting suggests no hidden depths. He just seems vacant. Well, maybe that is what Hill wanted. That said, I think film is an exciting must-see for Noir and Neo-Noir fans, by all means. Bruce Dern gives the best performance, along with Ronee Blakely (sadly a bit wasted in this film, but always great to see).

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'm pretty sure "beautiful and vacant" is precisely what Hill wanted. In both the male AND female leads. Because Adjani is every bit as gorgeous and hollow in her performance as The Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks