Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anchor Bay Press Release: Lion of the Desert and The Message (Blu-ray)

BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,006 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 10:43 PM

lion of the desert bd email.jpg the message bd email.jpg

Courage. Destiny. History. To some, these are but mere words. For a rare few, they are just beginning of a heroic journey towards fulfilling a greater purpose. On November 12th, Anchor Bay Entertainment and Trancas International Films present two Moustapha Akkad epics making their U.S. high-definition debut: The Message and The Lion of the Desert. Featuring some of Hollywood’s greatest stars, including Anthony Quinn, Rod Steiger, Oliver Reed, John Gielgud and Irene Papas, The Message and The Lion of the DesertBlu-rays™ will both be available for an SRP of $19.99 each. Pre-book for both titles is October 16th.  

Beginning in 7th century Mecca, The Message tells the conflict between its powerful leaders and Muhammad, who attacks the greed and cruelty rife in this profligate community. After a revelation from God, Muhammad takes up arms against Mecca. Muhammad came to be known as the prophet, the servant, the bearer of good tidings... he unified Arabia under one religion, one God, preaching The Message.

The Lion of the Desert begins in 1929: Benito Mussolini (Steiger) has been at war with Bedouin patriots for decades, the point of contention being the Italian colonization of Libya. Mussolini has appointed General Rodolfo Graziani (Reed) as governor to Libya, confident that he can crush the rebellion. However, Omar Mukhtar (Quinn) – a teacher and humanist, yet skilled in desert warfare – has assumed leadership of the resistance. Led by Mukhtar, the Bedouin troops fight on horseback, using guerrilla tactics against the formidable forces of the Italian Army.

The Message Blu-ray™

Genre: Historical Epic/Drama

Rating:   PG

Languages:  English 

Format: Widescreen 1.78:1

Audio: 5.1 DTSHD-MA

Year: 1976

SRP: $19.99

Street Date: November 12, 2013

Pre-Book: October 16, 2013

Length:  171 minutes

UPC: 013132612454

Cat#: BD61245

The Lion Of The Desert Blu-ray™

Genre: Historical Epic/Drama

Rating:   PG

Languages:  English 

Format: Widescreen 1.78:1

Audio: 5.1 DTSHD-MA

Year: 1980

SRP: $19.99

Street Date: November 12, 2013

Pre-Book: October 16, 2013

Length:  156 minutes

UPC: 013132612430

Cat#: BD61243

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 12:03 AM

Will the special features from the earlier DVDs carry over here?

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 11:11 AM

Oh, good grief. Don't tell me AB is still peddling these 16:9-cropped transfers. Both of these films were shot 2.35:1.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,711 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 03:22 PM

My non-anamorphic DVD of LOTD has succumbed to DVD rot. I'm not replacing it with the cropped version. I guess I'll DVR it off TCM sometime.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 12:54 AM

Forgive my bluntness but,

Screw Anchor Bay  :angry:

As much as I love both of these films, I am not paying a dime for these butchered versions. Both of these were shot in anamorphic 2.35, and should be presented as such.

What was AB thinking, when they made this decision.

Edited by John Stockton, August 18 2013 - 02:39 AM.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 02:45 AM

Perhaps these are the only masters the Akkad family have? Maybe it's their mistake and not Anchor Bay's?

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 05:26 AM

Perhaps these are the only masters the Akkad family have? Maybe it's their mistake and not Anchor Bay's?

The Akkad family owns the original camera negatives. There would be no problem providing the right master to AB. Plus the first Non anamorphic DVDs of both films by AB, were the correct ratio of 2.35.

Nah..This definitely smells like  AB's attempt to cater to the J6P crowd by filling their new 16:9 HD sets.   :rolleyes:

Edited by John Stockton, August 18 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#8 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,199 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 18 2013 - 05:31 AM

The Akkad family owns the original camera negatives. There would be no problem providing the right master to AB. Plus the first Non anamorphic DVDs of both films were the correct ratio of 2.35.

This definitely smells like  AB's attempt to cater to the J6P crowd by filling their new 16:9 HD sets.

I don't know, it's not like these titles will sell enough copies you have to cater to anyone.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:40 AM

I don't know, it's not like these titles will sell enough copies you have to cater to anyone.

Actually they do. These films appeal a lot to the Senior Citizens, and we know most of them hate to see black bars.

Either way, there is no legitimate reason for AB to butcher these.

Edited by John Stockton, August 18 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#10 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,199 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:48 AM

Actually they do. These film appeal a lot to the Senior Citizens, and we know most of them hate to see black bars.

Not to me!  It's not like a lot Senior Citizens are going to go nuts buying either of those titles.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 442 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted August 18 2013 - 07:42 AM

Actually they do. These film appeal a lot to the Senior Citizens, and we know most of them hate to see black bars.

Hey watch it there I am a senior and always want OAR!!!!!. It's the young ones who want to see the tv screen filled !. 

Edited by Everett Stallings, August 18 2013 - 07:45 AM.

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,603 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 18 2013 - 07:44 AM

Isn't it possible that the press release just has the wrong AR info? Not that people shouldn't be suspicious but press releases frequently have errors.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hey watch it there I am a senior and always want OAR!!!!!. It's the young ones who want to see the tv screen filled !. 

I think this is true. Most of the people I have met who have an aversion to black bars are younger people who expect to get the most out of their widescreen televisions and feel entitled to having every program fill the entire screen.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted August 18 2013 - 12:00 PM

THE MESSAGE had the swiftest title change I've ever come across. A week or two before the film was due to open, posters appeared in London advertising the film as MOHAMMED, MESSENGER OF GOD. Following protests, the film and posters were immediately changed to THE MESSAGE. I went to see it at the Plaza and thought it was a 70mm blowup but haven't found any confirmation of that. It had an intermission and a souvenir brochure - as did LION OF THE DESERT. Both films were overlong but worth seeing at least for the splendid photography by Jack Hildyard.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 12:38 PM

These look to be direct ports of 1.78:1 Region-B transfers from last year. 

THE MESSAGE is a total bore, not that the Hanafi Muslims saw it that way in 1977: http://en.wikipedia....77_Hanafi_Siege

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 08:37 PM

Isn't it possible that the press release just has the wrong AR info? Not that people shouldn't be suspicious but press releases frequently have errors.

No I do not think so. When the Anamorphic DVDs were announced by AB, the listing said the AR were 1.78. I thought for sure it was a misprint, but it turned out to be correct.

In fact, I am willing to bet these are the same transfers which were done for the anamorphic DVDs, now recycled for the BDs.

Edited by John Stockton, August 19 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,006 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 08:54 AM

Now Available For Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 11:49 AM

I own both titles on Blu-ray Region B and the format for both is 1:78 x 1 the video fills the screen no "black bars". We are now starting to see many titles already released on Blu-ray region B now becoming available for Region A.  The studios are not re-doing them they can't afford to these titles will bring small sales they are just using the Region B transfer changing the code to A.  The best message to send to the studios is if a particular title doesn't meet your expectations don't buy the Blu-ray.  

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 03:36 PM

THE MESSAGE had the swiftest title change I've ever come across. A week or two before the film was due to open, posters appeared in London advertising the film as MOHAMMED, MESSENGER OF GOD. Following protests, the film and posters were immediately changed to THE MESSAGE. I went to see it at the Plaza and thought it was a 70mm blowup but haven't found any confirmation of that. It had an intermission and a souvenir brochure - as did LION OF THE DESERT. Both films were overlong but worth seeing at least for the splendid photography by Jack Hildyard.

Saw it at the Plaza too, Doug. Pretty sure 35mm.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,006 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 06:33 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Ronald J Epstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users