Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What happens to Shane?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Shane's fate at the end of the film Shane? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Shane die at the end of the film?

1. Yes, he dies in the grave yard (2 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. Yes, he dies later in the mountains (10 votes [22.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. No, he survives the wound, but eventually succumbs to the sins of his profession (32 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

Vote

#41 of 53 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 20 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yes, but that last shot flatly "contradicts" the preceding shot and makes no sense. I watched the DVD last night but I'll delay replying in detail until I've watched the BRD. I will revert.

You need to take the whole film in context instead of just the final moment.  For instance, when Ryker and his men are watching the funeral in the graveyard from the front of the saloon or even when they observed the funeral attendees leaving the graveyard to save the burning homestead.  Ryker states that Starrett is keeping them together.  They wouldn't be able to observe those events if the graveyard was hours away.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#42 of 53 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 05:40 PM

It has been a looong time since I saw this film. Doesn't he show up on the ranch, tries to give up gunfighting, but can't live with what is happening, so he reverts to his former profession and takes on the bad guys? All I remember from the end is that he rides away. I don't remember him ever slumping over like he has died. If I am remembering the film correctly then I am going with the third option. He is the type of guy who is always looking to give up killing, but his beliefs that a man needs to stand up for what is right always end up causing him to revert to form until it finally catches up with him and he meets his match.

• JohnRa likes this
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#43 of 53 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 460 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted August 23 2013 - 11:52 AM

Shane dies at the end. That is the only fitting ending.
  • Robin9 likes this
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#44 of 53 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 23 2013 - 11:59 AM

Shane rides off into the mountains, badly wounded and dying he is captured by aliens who heal his wounds, he is transported to their world where he lives a life of sin with countless gorgeous women, these women have been taken from our planet for years, nowadays they just make reality shows like The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills but back then was different, over a century later he returns as the head of Twentieth Century Fox studio's and as a favour to the aliens who healed him sanctions the making of Ridley Scott's Alien.

Yes, this post is so silly i almost erased it and it's not even silly Sunday yet.

Edited by FoxyMulder, August 23 2013 - 12:02 PM.

• JohnRa likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#45 of 53 ONLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 23 2013 - 12:06 PM

Shane rides off into the mountains, badly wounded and dying he is captured by aliens who heal his wounds, he is transported to their world where he lives a life of sin with countless gorgeous women, these women have been taken from our planet for years, nowadays they just make reality shows like The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills but back then was different, over a century later he returns as the head of Twentieth Century Fox studio's and as a favour to the aliens who healed him sanctions the making of Ridley Scott's Alien.

Yes, this post is so silly i almost erased it and it's not even silly Sunday yet.

Malcolm, you are closer to the truth than you know.  I can't say any more.  They are watching us, you know.  :biggrin:

#46 of 53 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 23 2013 - 12:18 PM

Malcolm, you are closer to the truth than you know.  I can't say any more.  They are watching us, you know.  :biggrin:

Alan Ladd Jr looked like the spitting image of his dad too, it could have been his clone.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#47 of 53 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 02:19 PM

After watching it last night and recently hearing the premise that maybe he dies, I will say his riding motion looked a bit awkward at the very end.

How could you tell...?  The image is so friggin' dark at that point. (Great transfer, though!)

#48 of 53 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 03:39 PM

How could you tell...?  The image is so friggin' dark at that point. (Great transfer, though!)

Obviously I could or I wouldn't have mentioned it. I've never thought he died and I still don't, but having read about it before this viewing made me pay special attention to him riding away at the end. I saw something a bit awkward is all I can say and that made me wonder if that was what some others may have been referencing. I'm not sure, but possibly lighting conditions and/or screen size made the difference in what you saw vs. me. Also, were you thinking about this at the time of your viewing or reflecting on it now based on what was written here after viewing? I only ask because I doubt I would have noticed anything myself if I wasn't looking for something at that very moment.

#49 of 53 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,988 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 24 2013 - 09:33 PM

I just finished watching this one for the first time and loved it!

I'm of the opinion that he's dead on the horse. He's not moving with the horse the way a concious rider does, and I'm sure his arms are going limp prior to the final shot from behind. He was shot numerous times, Shane say "He was fast", which is an indication that he was shot by Palance before getting hit the final time from the balcony. 

I don't know how he could be anything but dead. It was a sacrificial act that fits with the psychology of the film. He enters into the farm from the wild, gets a taste of what a decent life could be. When the other gun slinger shows up, he see's that damage it does, and can't see a "Clean" man suffer the same fate so he sacrifices himself to atone for his past, and to protect the future he can never be a part of. "Tell your ma that there are no more guns in town",  they're ALL dead. 

• Robin9 and FoxyMulder like this

#50 of 53 OFFLINE   Walsh61

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted August 25 2013 - 04:08 PM

Well since we're offering opinions here I'll throw my hat in the ring. The moral of the film is summed up in what Shane tells Jean Arthur when he's teaching Joey how to shoot -

"A gun is a tool. No better or no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it - remember that."

The scene of him riding through the cemetery at the end shows that he was justified in what he did. An inoccent man was in that cemetery because of Rufus Ryker and his hired killer Jack Wilson. They were planning on murdering Joe Starrett as a way of getting the other homesteaders to give up and move out. 

Shane was a good man who did what needed to be done. There was no law in the territory to protect these people. However he had to move on at the end, because he knew by staying other gunfighters would come around looking for him to prove they were faster than he was.

As Shane is riding away we know from what Joey says to him he was only hit once and that was by Rufus Ryker. "He'd a never hit you if you had seen him. He'd a never even cleared his holster..." Morgan Ryker tried to hit him with a rifle.

Shane lived and perhaps went on to use his gunfighting skills for something good rather than robbing and murdering.

Edited by Walsh61, August 25 2013 - 04:22 PM.

• JohnRa likes this

#51 of 53 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 25 2013 - 06:03 PM

I watched this film for the first time earlier today. I voted option 3. :)

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#52 of 53 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,242 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 25 2013 - 06:15 PM

As did I.

And I hadn't read this thread before watching it.  Soon (probably tomorrow), I'll be watching again to listen to the commentary, and will pay very close attention to those final shots.

#53 of 53 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 26 2013 - 07:19 PM

POPULAR

The final poll numbers are in and not surprising most thought he lived after he left town.  Thanks to all that participated in this poll.  No matter what you thought the outcome for Shane was, you have to admit that the BD is one of the best looking releases in 2013.  For that, Paramount and Warner should be proud of this BD release.

I just wish they released the 1:66 ratio with the 1.37 one too. :P

• Joe Bernardi, JohnRa, ahollis and 1 other like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users