What's new

International Remains of the Day in Europe and Not US? (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Sony US continues its pattern of releasing big titles overseas and not in America! I noticed on the Amazon UK site that ROOD will be released there in October under Sony's own label, but no announcement here?

Since Criterion has lost rights to Merchant/Ivory productions, will we have to start importing half the titles we want from overseas?

Sony pioneered the Blu-ray format and they're not supporting it as well as they should in the largest market in the world. It doesn't make sense to me.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of my favorite films and it was shown on the Sony HD channel a couple of times and it looks great Did see it for sale on the UK Amazon.com but do not have a all region blu-ray player so i wait and hope Sony will release it here in the states. Also the Sony channel shows A Man For All Seasons which needs to be on blu-ray to replace the two lousy dvd releases and Spielberg's 1941.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm happy with my Orei BD player. I've bought 7 UK releases already.I've already pre-ordered ROOD and Successive Sliding of Pleasure.

By the way, you could start a neverending thread about "available over there" and not here...or even "they get a better version than we do".

The Night Porter(how was this not released in the US on BD?)
Naked Island(expecting this to be my finest BD picture. The reference of all reference)

On and on.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I bought Sony's "Sense and Sensibility" disc from Amazon UK. Guess I'll have to do the same for "The Remains of the Day". Luckily most Sony discs are region free.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Cinescott said:
Sony US continues its pattern of releasing big titles overseas and not in America! . . . . . will we have to start importing half the titles we want from overseas?

Sony pioneered the Blu-ray format and they're not supporting it as well as they should in the largest market in the world. It doesn't make sense to me.
It's not just Sony. There are also numerous Fox and Universal titles available on BRD in Europe but not in USA or Canada. Conspiracy theorists should remember it works both ways. European film lovers have to import discs from USA.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
It would be great if there was a thread of confirmed Blu-rays that are region free.
Thus far I have the following, all region-free, even though some of their Blu-ray labels indicate otherwise:

[*]Sunrise (UK release)
[*]The Company of Wolves (UK release)
[*]101 Dalmatians (UK release)
[*]Aladdin (UK release)
[*]Chicken Run (French release; UK release is *not* region free)
[*]David Lynch Boxed Set (Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire) from Amazon.de
[/list]

I would buy any E.M Forester and Jane Austen adaptations on Blu-ray that are available in Europe and not in the US if I they are confirmed region-free and offer quality image and sound (I passed on the UK release of Disney's Tarzan due to reports of poor quality.).
Ray H said:
I bought Sony's "Sense and Sensibility" disc from Amazon UK. Guess I'll have to do the same for "The Remains of the Day". Luckily most Sony discs are region free.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mark Walker said:
It would be great if there was a thread of confirmed Blu-rays that are region free.
Thus far I have the following, all region-free, even though some of their Blu-ray labels indicate otherwise:
Sunrise (UK release)
The Company of Wolves (UK release)
101 Dalmatians (UK release)
Aladdin (UK release)
Chicken Run (French release; UK release is *not* region free)

I would buy any E.M Forester and Jane Austen adaptations on Blu-ray that are available in Europe and not here if I knew they were region-free and offered quality image and sound (I passed on the UK release of Disney's Tarzan due to reports of poor quality.).
Find my thread about All the Boys Love Mandy Lane.

There is a link in that thread(which is hardly complete...but hey, at least it exists) for a site showing movies and their "locked" or not status.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for that. I found the thread and the link to this site:
http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

That alone netted me the 1976 King Kong, which is a film my father and I watched way too many times in theaters and, well, I love it for all the cheesy goodness and Dwan. Dear dear Dwan. :) And the Blu-ray reviews are solid for the French release. Gotta love amazon.fr !

Thanks Schan!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One of my UK buys showed up in the mail yesterday...from Germany...

Never had that happen with a DVD, but these are my first BD foray's. Don't think it has happened with a SACD/DVD-A/DTS audio either.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
schan1269 said:
One of my UK buys showed up in the mail yesterday...from Germany...
Happens all the time to me with UK amazon orders, they ship from wherever (most of the order's) stock is and what's cheapest for them. From Germany is also MUCH slower than from the UK, least to here.

Same applies to music discs from them. And to me that's a bonus, as usually they're made in Germany or (even better IME!) Austria.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Gorgeous transfer on this Blu-ray, and a wonderful, moving motion picture.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I would love to see Room With a View, Remains of the Day, Sense and Sensability, Etc., because theya re all Best Picture Noms. It sucks that they can be bought in Europe, especially in the UK; man, why can't they be region A?

Why do studios think we in North America don't want the same movies those in the UK do? It is very very frustrating for me... as well as many of you, too, I imagine, to see a Blu Ray you want available over seas and not here...

I wish my PS3 was region free... wouldn't THAT be amaing???

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just received the blu-ray from Amazon.UK and it is a ALL REGION disc so it will play on all players here in the USA. Excellent picture and sound so i am very happy with the purchase!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
battlebeast said:
I would love to see Room With a View, Remains of the Day, Sense and Sensability, Etc., because theya re all Best Picture Noms. It sucks that they can be bought in Europe, especially in the UK; man, why can't they be region A?
They ARE region A. Region-free means all regions including A! So don't be import-phobic and order them already! It's really not that expensive to order them from Amazon.uk.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On the back cover it says: A, B, C, ....i even had to tell Gary at DVD BEAVER to change the region "B" to "all" on his website....

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
Watched it the other day. As indicated by the caps it's pretty much perfect. What looked like a tiny bit of sharpening in a couple of shots, but otherwise just beautiful with some very fine grain.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Ok, wait: so "remains of the day," "sense and sensibility," are REGION FREE?I misread above?YAY!!! I WILL BE BUYING!!!I have nothing against buying from the UK and I am certainly not "import phobic" ( no offense taken!)Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks