CITY LIGHTS - DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION
The most cherished film by Charlie Chaplin (Modern Times) is also his ultimate Little Tramp chronicle. The writer-director-star achieved new levels of grace, in both physical comedy and dramatic poignancy, with this silent tale of a lovable vagrant falling for a young blind woman who sells flowers on the street (a magical Virginia Cherrill) and mistakes him for a millionaire. Though this Depression-era smash was made after the advent of sound, Chaplin remained steadfast in his love for the expressive beauty of the pre-talkie form. The result was the epitome of his art and the crowning achievement of silent comedy.
1931 • 87 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.19:1 aspect ratio
SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
• Chaplin Today: “City Lights,” a 2003 documentary on the film’s production, featuring Aardman Animations cofounder Peter Lord
• Chaplin Studios: Creative Freedom by Design, a new interview program featuring visual effects expert Craig Barron
• Archival footage from the production of City Lights, including film from the set, with audio commentary by Chaplin historian Hooman Mehran; a costume test; a rehearsal; and a complete scene not used in the film
• Excerpt from Chaplin’s short film The Champion (1915), along with footage of the director with boxing stars at Chaplin Studios in 1918
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins and a 1966 interview with Chaplin
TITLE: City Lights (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2316BDDVD
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.