Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: City Lights (Blu-ray Combo)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 09:18 PM

cityfront.jpg

cityback.jpg

CITY LIGHTS - DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION
The most cherished film by Charlie Chaplin (Modern Times) is also his ultimate Little Tramp chronicle. The writer-director-star achieved new levels of grace, in both physical comedy and dramatic poignancy, with this silent tale of a lovable vagrant falling for a young blind woman who sells flowers on the street (a magical Virginia Cherrill) and mistakes him for a millionaire. Though this Depression-era smash was made after the advent of sound, Chaplin remained steadfast in his love for the expressive beauty of the pre-talkie form. The result was the epitome of his art and the crowning achievement of silent comedy.

1931 • 87 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.19:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

• New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance

• Chaplin Today: “City Lights,” a 2003 documentary on the film’s production, featuring Aardman Animations cofounder Peter Lord

• Chaplin Studios: Creative Freedom by Design, a new interview program featuring visual effects expert Craig Barron

• Archival footage from the production of City Lights, including film from the set, with audio commentary by Chaplin historian Hooman Mehran; a costume test; a rehearsal; and a complete scene not used in the film

• Excerpt from Chaplin’s short film The Champion (1915), along with footage of the director with boxing stars at Chaplin Studios in 1918

• Trailers

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins and a 1966 interview with Chaplin

TITLE: City Lights (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC2316BDDVD

UPC: 7-15515-11111-9

ISBN: 978-1-60465-785-2

SRP: $39.95

PREBOOK: 10/15/13

STREET: 11/12/13

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

• dana martin likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 05:28 AM

This Cover is just plain Awful

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 06:40 AM

What's up with Criterion issuing a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack?  As embarassing as it is, I have to admit that I don't have a blu-ray player yet, so I find this development welcome.

• Suzanne.S likes this

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 07:12 AM

I'd guess that they've reached a point where the sales of their DVDs is low enough that they can no longer justify doing two separate editions but that DVD buyers are still important enough to service.  I also think, looking at the ZATOICHI set, that doing a dual-format release will save them a lot of money on packaging. So much money that it is worth it to, essentially, toss in 18 DVDs for free.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 16 2013 - 08:03 AM

Wow, two of the greatest silent films in one year! I'm really hoping Criterion updates their details to include Carl Davis' re-recording of the score. It's the reason I held onto the Image DVD for so long.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 16 2013 - 08:10 AM

Patrick, the Chaplin estate blocks use of the Carl Davis, so you won't be seeing it again. Hold on to your Image if you must have it.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 08:12 AM

Finally!

A very welcome release.

The cover art stinks, but the blu-ray will be cherished.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 08:21 AM

So many memorable images from City Lights, how do you choose just one for a cover:

CityLights-1931-stillA.jpg

CityLights-1931-stillB.jpg

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 16 2013 - 08:24 AM

I like the cover art, but then I've always found Seth's work charming. This is my favourite of Chaplin's features, so I'm in for it for sure.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 12:27 PM

charming isn't the word,   poor is more like it    

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've got no issue with the cover art, it's not as excellent as Modern Times or as bold as Great Dictator, it's pretty much the same degree of bland as found on the covers of Monsieur Verdoux or Gold Rush.

I'm thrilled this is finally being released, I'd given up hoping it would come out soon after so many years since they first released Modern Times. I figured they'd back burned it to their final Chaplin, or something.  

I cannot wait to see this again, and show it to my wife for the first time! :)

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 16 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm thrilled this is finally being released, I'd given up hoping it would come out soon after so many years since they first released Modern Times. I figured they'd back burned it to their final Chaplin, or something.  

I was thinnking the same thing, and thought for sure that we would be seeing The Circus this time around. So pleased to get this one. My guess is the next release will be Limelight, followed by the Circus. Then King in New York followed by The Kid.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 16 2013 - 02:46 PM

It would be nice it it looked like Chaplin instead of Stan Laurel...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   John-Weller

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 03:23 PM

I like it but, yeah, Stan Laurel came to my mind too!

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 16 2013 - 04:08 PM

I was thinnking the same thing, and thought for sure that we would be seeing The Circus this time around. So pleased to get this one. My guess is the next release will be Limelight, followed by the Circus. Then King in New York followed by The Kid.

The New Years Drawing for this year actually had The Kid in it. I suspect they wanted to launch their Dual Format change with a higher profile Chaplin title and therefore moved up City Lights and pushed The Kid to 2014. It's also possible that since The Kid is likely going to be packaged with several of the shorts/The Chaplin Revue that something there held up the release.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted August 16 2013 - 05:54 PM

I like the cover, too.  I haven't seen much from Seth beyond his covers for Make Way for Tomorrow and the revised edition of The Portable Dorothy Parker.  But it's a style that I like.  Would love to see more Criterion covers done this way.

#17 of 31 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 09:42 PM

Like Russell G, this is my favorite Chaplin film, too.  Looking forward to this release.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 12:04 AM

This was my introduction to Charlie Chaplin; I saw this for a film studies class in college. I'm also looking forward to this release as well.

#19 of 31 ONLINE   Brenty

Brenty

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted August 17 2013 - 12:05 AM

A definite buy for me, but am not a fan of Criterion's CC cover art & this is the worst one yet - for his best film, no less!

I know there are numerous restrictions in place, vis-à-vis licensing, the CC estate, etc., but it's a shame we won't get the option of the Carl Davis score or even the mk2/Warner DVD 5.1 remix of the original mono track, which I quite like.

Ditto goes for the various other extras from the Image & mk2/W releases. At least the most important extra, the deleted scene, is being included. Fingers crossed it finally gets a soundtrack, even if it's just a piano score, & that they render it in HD!

Lastly, I hope they use the full aperture of the print, akin to the Image disc, unlike the awful, badly-cropped & off-centre framing of the mk2/W DVDs & the region B BDs...

Here's hoping The Kid will be next, with both extant cuts in HD & framed correctly!

Brenton Film: the past, present and future of silent film
Twitter: @brentonfilm

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 17 2013 - 04:42 AM

Terrific news, but I agree that the cover looks like Stan Laurel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users