• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Fiberoptic

Fiberoptic

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hello,

I recently picked up a 3D Blu-ray called Tour of Mars 3D off Amazon. It's about an hour long video of Mars that takes you into canyons and craters and over the terrain. I found this really interesting. The 3D is really well done. I hadn't seen anyone else talking about it so I thought I would share it because I haven't seen anythng like it.

http://www.amazon.co...tour of mars 3d

#2 of 10 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,487 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 14 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mike!

What other 3D do you have and like?

#3 of 10 Fiberoptic

Fiberoptic

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm very interested in 3D movies that are not your usual theater releases and a lot of my colledtion consists of things that show off more of the 3D effect rather than things like Avatar etc which use the 3D to further tell the story. Some of my favorites from my collection which I definately believe are worth having are...

Imax 3D mummies secrets of the pharaohs

Imax legends of flight

Imax hubble 3D

Cirque du soleil worlds away

The 3D effects in these Blu-rays are absolutely amazing! I have found that anything that starts with the word Imax is incredibly well done!

Edited by Fiberoptic, August 14 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#4 of 10 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 06:20 PM

Today's digital 3-D movies are a dim shadow compared to Imax's 70mm stereoscopic documentaries. They define the words "experience" and "immersive." I would add Space Station 3-D and Magnificent Desolation: Walking On the Moon 3-D to your list. Both are knockouts on the screen, and mighty impressive on the flat panel. You'd have to go back to 1953 for competitive stereo imaging. A shame Imax gave up on its 3-D documentaries. There'll be no more of them. Big Hollywood Money pays for the Imax screens now.

#5 of 10 Fiberoptic

Fiberoptic

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 10:29 AM

Thanks so much for the recomendations. I just picked up the space station 3D one off Amazon and I can't wait to see it! I had never heard of the magnificent desolation walking on the moon 3D one before and when I went to Amazon to look for it I could only find it on what looks like a 2D DVD. Have you seen another version of it that comes in 3D? It's so sad to hear that Imax has given up on making documentaries as those were always my favorite. I understand that the blockbuster movies pay a lot of money to take up the Imax theater screens but I really hope that Imax reconsiders in the future and atleast releases new documentaries once in a while. I'm interested in any other 3D recomendations anyone might have as well. I am always happy to update my collection.

#6 of 10 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 12:32 PM

I haven't, now that you mention it. Perhaps not their best documentary but the stereoscopic photography inside the lunar capsule and on the moonscape conveys certain story points visually that are lost in the flat version. For instance the stereoscopic photography demonstrates why the astronauts lose visual perspective on the moon. They can't tell how far away or how close things are. A crease in the ground at their feet could be a vast canyon or a shallow trench. Without recognizable shapes in an atmosphere, they can't tell. In the flat version, this point is lost. On the big screen it was physical.

Regarding SPACE STATION 3-D, one of the most startling scenes is the astronauts rehearsing under water. You feel the consistency and the thickness of the water on a screen three stories high in 70mm 3-D. On the flat panel the sensation is not as acute, but if your mind is open to the visual subtleties you'll get it.

All the Imax 3-D blu-rays are excellent and worth buying. Every single one. At 45 minutes or so they don't overstay their welcome but you'll know you've seen something special. Here is an amazon search for the words Imax 3-D blu-ray:

http://www.amazon.co...rnid=2650303011

For some reason Star Trek comes up in the list, but you should ignore that piece of junk and stick with the Imax and Costeau documentaries. They are worth every penny.

Edited by Richard--W, August 16 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#7 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,167 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 17 2013 - 11:05 AM

Dinosaurs Alive looks interesting. Anyone have that one? I wish the Magnificent Desolation was on 3D blu.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 10 Fiberoptic

Fiberoptic

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thank you for the link to all the Imax 3D blu-rays I appreciate it. There are actually a bunch on that list that I never knew existed. A lot of great ideas to expand my collection!

#9 of 10 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,487 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 19 2013 - 06:57 PM

I have to agree with you on Cirque du Soleil Worlds Away. Seeing it at home was almost as good as seeing it in Liemax 3D. It helps that I've seen a few of the shows that are highlighted in the movie.

#10 of 10 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 08:33 PM

For the IMAX 3-D documentaries, also be sure to check out DEEP SEA 3-D and ULTIMATE WAVE TAHITI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users