What's new

Anyone use Etsy to buy stuff? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I found a rare book I've been looking for at Etsy. Much better shape then ones I found on eBay. I have bought things through eBay with only one bad transaction.So I was curious if anyone here has bought anything on Etsy? I guess you have sign up for a membership first. I pay with PayPal, so I suppose there's some protection there. I'd be curious of any insights. Thanks!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've bought stuff from etsy, jewelry for my wife I think. It was fine, like buying from any other online retailer. I don't recall if I paid with PayPal or other.I don't know anything about rare books, though.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't think I've ever heard of Etsy. For hard to find books I've used AddAll and bookfinder with much success. Generally, tho, I can usually find the used books I need on Amazon.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. This particular book I'm looking for is really specific and had a limited run. I'll keep poking around and look at other sites as you suggested before pulling the trigger. I'm still not 100% sure about Etsy for this book.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nelson:

I've used Etsy for a number of different purchases...

Everything from ID tags for my dog (say hi to Ike!):

Ike with new Tag.JPG

to a new cabinet for my Plasma TV and HT gear!:

IMG_0292.JPG

Etsy is different from eBay in that it really only serves as the marketplace for the different vendors. You actually make the purchase with the vendor themselves. You do sign up for an "account" with Etsy...but when it comes time to making a purchase, you do it through the person selling the item. And once signed up you can have a conversation with the seller before pulling the trigger.

That cabinet above was a pretty big purchase (and heavy) and shipped from Illinois to upstate New York. No problems at all! :biggrin:

Good luck!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ike!Thanks for the effort to show your purchases. I went ahead and signed up for an account and already had one conversation with the seller. So I may pull the trigger this afternoon!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah..it's not a bad system. Kinda like a farmer's market for stuff. But you are in direct contact with the dealer.

The Etsy mobile app is pretty good, too. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Their search system is pretty good, too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I pulled the trigger. I hope the guy is on the level and ships the book. Thats the part that worries me. I suppose with PayPal, I can stop payment if anything goes wrong.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does the dealer have good reviews, etc., Nelson?

I was really worried about the shipping of that entertainment cabinet but the guy I bought it from had a huge cache of reviews--most of which mentioned the shipping was superb. That was what pushed me over the edge.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This dealer only had two reviews. Both positive. It still felt risky!Fortunately I received an email from the seller that its been shipped.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes! I did see pictures. Actually, I got the email from Etsy that it shipped and with tracking info. Though its too early to track. I'll know Wednesday when it arrives.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, as described! And better too! The seller warned the spine or fold area is brittle and cracked. And it is. But the book opens fine. Now I need to see how I can stabilize the cracked areas to prevent further deterioration without making it worse! I might just try to scan or photgraph each page of the book. The value of the book for me, besides owning a real copy, is the artwork inside. .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Etsy took off when Ebay went bat-shit crazy on their fees and requiring Paypal.I sell "every other avenue" before Ebay now. I have 1400 feedback, but only sell 5 things a year on there, since they changed.Ebay actually cancelled a listing because I put in the listing, "cash in person allowed"(that violates their "Paypal is the only authorized form of payment").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks