Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are Blu-ray's worth the extra Money?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 13 2013 - 03:49 PM

I see your point, i think technology peaked with VHS and since then the quality just got worse and worse, Laserdisc, pah i use them as frisbees, DVD, not for me, blu ray, no i just don't see any detail increase over my VHS versions, i won't be satisfied until the studio's start releasing on VHS again and that way i can really take advantage of my HD television and projector.

You are kidding I hope.

#22 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 03:50 PM

This is something I have always wondered and would love some feed back. I personally don't see the point in spending the extra money to purchase a Blu-ray disc. With almost all TV's being HD now, I can't really tell the difference between standard dvd and a blu-ray disc. Even when I can, the difference is minuscule.  How does everyone else feel about this?

I'm curious if you own a computer? Is it the awesome Commodore 64?

#23 of 92 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,735 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 13 2013 - 09:01 PM

I've always wondered what surfing the HTF would look like on a Commodore 64...

c64.png

• ManW_TheUncool likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#24 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 09:58 PM

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about !!!!

Edited by Jim Mcc, August 13 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#25 of 92 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:22 AM

You are kidding I hope.

I would never ever joke around on a forum, last time i did that they sent a hitman after me.

• ManW_TheUncool likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#26 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:31 AM

I would never ever joke around on a forum, last time i did that they sent a hitman after me.

Oops!! I can't tell, since the smiley faces are not available anymore. What's up with that?

#27 of 92 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 14 2013 - 12:37 PM

Oops!! I can't tell, since the smiley faces are not available anymore. What's up with that?

These smiley faces, :D i never use them, they give the game away too easily.

They are available when you click quote or more reply options, if you go into the advanced settings in your control panel there should also be an option to turn them on for normal straight forward replies.

Edited by FoxyMulder, August 14 2013 - 12:39 PM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#28 of 92 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted August 14 2013 - 01:05 PM

My father has the exact same argument about he television. He does not see a difference between SD TV and HD TV. Whenever I state how much better HD material is, he tells me it is my opinion. It baffles me.

#29 of 92 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,735 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 14 2013 - 05:31 PM

?!?

Anytime you click inside an edit box, you should see a smilie face in the edit options (just to the right of the various font/text controls).  Click on it and a row of smiulies appears just below the editor.  If you don't see one you like, click on the arrow at the right-hand side of the line of smilies.

LMK if this doesn't work for you.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#30 of 92 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 05:39 PM

My father has the exact same argument about he television. He does not see a difference between SD TV and HD TV. Whenever I state how much better HD material is, he tells me it is my opinion. It baffles me.

Over the years I've come across numerous friends and acquaintances who say the same thing.  Whether they actually believe what they are saying, is largely irrelevant and besides the point.

As far as I can tell, most of them largely don't give a damn about hd quality video.

In practice, there isn't much anybody can do to change the minds of individuals who simply do not give a damn.

• Tina_H_V likes this

#31 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:45 PM

These smiley faces, :D i never use them, they give the game away too easily.

They are available when you click quote or more reply options, if you go into the advanced settings in your control panel there should also be an option to turn them on for normal straight forward replies.

I can't get them to work. Oh well, from now on you guys won't know if I'm kidding or not.

#32 of 92 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted August 14 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm not in the bluray camp, but i think there is a clear difference between DVD and blu. The "problem" (if you really call it a problem) is that as the person above said, a lot of people don't give a damn. Bluray's chief selling point is a better picture and the chance for more content. Your problem? A lot of people really can't be bothered whether the picture is better and a lot of people that don't give a damn about the added content.

So that brings us to where we are today, instead of the new content slowly wiping the latter into the antique market, you've got two dual successful markets. Where one side is filled with people not wooed to convert and the other is filled with people who have converted and baffled others have not.

There's really not much more arguing to do on the subject. If you weren't wooed to switch over to bluray with 2013 about 3/4 of the way done, i'm not sure how many still are. If anything i bet both DVD and Blu will lose more digital downloads then they will to each other as we move forward.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#33 of 92 OFFLINE   sean1976

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted August 14 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've always wondered what surfing the HTF would look like on a Commodore 64...

c64.png

... Load " Hometheatreform.bat ",8,1

• DaveF likes this

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves " -

Edward R. Murrow

#34 of 92 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,791 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 15 2013 - 05:38 AM

I'm not in the bluray camp, but i think there is a clear difference between DVD and blu. The "problem" (if you really call it a problem) is that as the person above said, a lot of people don't give a damn. Bluray's chief selling point is a better picture and the chance for more content. Your problem? A lot of people really can't be bothered whether the picture is better and a lot of people that don't give a damn about the added content.

The only problem I have with that argument (and it is a small problem, to be sure) are the people who complain the BD's get exclusive extras while the DVD's don't.  The same thing is happening with 3D discs; it also happened for years on DVD with single versus multiple disc releases.

If a collector or fan of a film or TV show wants to have all the material, they will most likely "need" to have the BD.  I'm fine with people not giving a damn, but I'm not okay with those same people complaining they're getting the short end of the stick.  The studios have simply decided to put a little something extra on the BD versus the DVD.  Their prerogative, right?

#35 of 92 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,735 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 15 2013 - 06:12 AM

And anyway.....all the complainers need-to-do to get the extra content is go out and buy a Blu player (which can be found damn cheap these days). 

#36 of 92 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 07:37 AM

The only problem I have with that argument (and it is a small problem, to be sure) are the people who complain the BD's get exclusive extras while the DVD's don't.  The same thing is happening with 3D discs; it also happened for years on DVD with single versus multiple disc releases.

If a collector or fan of a film or TV show wants to have all the material, they will most likely "need" to have the BD.  I'm fine with people not giving a damn, but I'm not okay with those same people complaining they're getting the short end of the stick.  The studios have simply decided to put a little something extra on the BD versus the DVD.  Their prerogative, right?

The individuals I've come across who simply do not give a damn about hd quality video, were largely people who were not collectors nor hardcore fans.

In the past, they were typically the ones who maybe rented a movie once or twice a year.  Some may have purchased a dvd once every few years.  They were largely "casual" viewers for the most part.

#37 of 92 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,791 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 15 2013 - 08:00 AM

The individuals I've come across who simply do not give a damn about hd quality video, were largely people who were not collectors nor hardcore fans.

Yes, but they're also the ones who will complain about having to pay extra and get the BD to get all the VAM for a release, too.  They don't think it's fair, apparently.

#38 of 92 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 08:39 AM

Yes, but they're also the ones who will complain about having to pay extra and get the BD to get all the VAM for a release, too.  They don't think it's fair, apparently.

Are these necessarily the same set of individuals?

In a few individual cases I'm acquainted with, I can say definitively it has absolutely nothing to do with bluray.  In such cases, the individuals in question have cable service where they have plugged their DVR box straight to their large flatscreen tvs via the analog composite video jack.  (ie. Not rgb component nor hdmi).  (It was easy to see that the video quality was sd and not hd).

http://en.wikipedia....Composite_video

Even explaining that a $10 or $20 hdmi cable connecting the DVR and the tv will greatly improve the video quality, they still didn't give a damn and didn't bother using the hdmi jack.

#39 of 92 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,791 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 15 2013 - 11:10 AM

In the case I'm talking about, yes.  Educated, smart person saying this...I've known him for years.  I'm sure there have been individuals around here as well who have the same perspective.

#40 of 92 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,558 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 11:25 AM

To me, the difference is obvious, and definitely worth my extra money.  My girlfriend is in the "other" camp.  She says she RARELY sees any difference in quality.  To me, even the VERY BEST quality DVD titles cannot really approach the VERY BEST or even VERY GOOD Bluray titles.  To each his own.

I will continue to support BD over DVD and will only purchase DVD when a title is not, and likely never will be available on BD, e.g. Classic B&W TV shows.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users