Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are Blu-ray's worth the extra Money?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 of 92 OFFLINE   Creativesound

Creativesound

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 12:17 PM

This is something I have always wondered and would love some feed back. I personally don't see the point in spending the extra money to purchase a Blu-ray disc. With almost all TV's being HD now, I can't really tell the difference between standard dvd and a blu-ray disc. Even when I can, the difference is minuscule.  How does everyone else feel about this? 

• andySu likes this

#2 of 92 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,464 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 12 2013 - 01:55 PM

Must have...

1. A cheap LCD
2. Display too small for your space.
  • Tina_H_V and nara like this

#3 of 92 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted August 12 2013 - 03:01 PM

I never really understand when people say they dont see the difference.  You dont have to have 20/20 vision, a large display or a fancy display to see the vast improvement in color and contrast, DVD looks washed out by comparison.  The increase in resolution, fine, there are lots of factors that may prevent you from seeing the increased clarity but the increased color saturation should be very obvious to all but the color blind folks in this world.  There is also an increase in audio resolution but that will only be apparent with a sound system that reveals that, them Insignia TV speakers aint gonna cut it.  

That having been said I dont spend more than $5 on a blu ray.  Im a regular at pawn shops, craigslist, ebay, Walmart bins, Black Friday sales and Amazon marketplace for all my blu ray purchases.  If its a title I cant find used, or maybe a 3D version,  I might step out of my normal price range to own it.  I will still buy a DVD occasionally if the title is not available on blu but thats pretty rare.   

• Richard V likes this
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#4 of 92 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 12 2013 - 03:35 PM

POPULAR

They are to me. If I only had a choice between a $5 DVD and a $30 Blu-ray, I absolutely could not "throw away" $5 on a DVD knowing that that $5 could go towards a Blu-ray. My entire DVD collection now looks like crap to me and my goal is to eventually replace all of them with Blu-rays.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy DVDs where BDs are not likely to ever happen, mostly old TV series and some Warner Archive titles, but I absolutely will not buy a DVD of a title that is available on Blu-ray.

• Tina_H_V, Suzanne.S and joshEH like this

#5 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 12 2013 - 04:22 PM

POPULAR

One misleading thing though is NOT ALL Blu-rays look excellent. I've seen some Blu-rays that look average at best,  and I've seen some DVD's that look very good.

• andySu, Robin9 and earlytalkie like this

#6 of 92 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,951 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 05:12 PM

I won't replace a dvd that I already own with a blu ray unless the disc is cheap and it's a title worthy of repeated viewings. That being said I haven't bought more than one or two dvds since I got my blu player. The difference in quality is enough where I wouldn't pay more than $5 for a dvd, and I'm not going to spend a bunch of time digging through the bargain bin looking for a bargain.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using HTF mobile app

#7 of 92 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 12 2013 - 07:12 PM

One misleading thing though is NOT ALL Blu-rays look excellent. I've seen some Blu-rays that look average at best,  and I've seen some DVD's that look very good.

ANd many films look horrible even in the theater and often that was the intentional presentation.    With 1 or 2 very rare exceptions I've never seen the same movie looke worse on BD that DVD -- some movies were never meant to be pretty.

#8 of 92 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 12 2013 - 10:21 PM

I agree, but that's not what I said.

Edited by Jim Mcc, August 12 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#9 of 92 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:43 AM

POPULAR

This is something I have always wondered and would love some feed back. I personally don't see the point in spending the extra money to purchase a Blu-ray disc. With almost all TV's being HD now, I can't really tell the difference between standard dvd and a blu-ray disc. Even when I can, the difference is minuscule.  How does everyone else feel about this? 

What size TV do you have? How far away do you sit from the TV? This makes a big difference.

If you have a 50" TV and sit 15' away from it, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between a good DVD and a BD. If you have a 55" TV and sit 10' away, you should be able to tell the difference pretty easily (unless your vision isn't very good).

I am assuming that you have a BD player connected via HDMI.

Edited by Brian McHale, August 13 2013 - 06:44 AM.

• Tina_H_V, Richard V and Retro00064 like this
Brian

#10 of 92 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:55 AM

I see your point, i think technology peaked with VHS and since then the quality just got worse and worse, Laserdisc, pah i use them as frisbees, DVD, not for me, blu ray, no i just don't see any detail increase over my VHS versions, i won't be satisfied until the studio's start releasing on VHS again and that way i can really take advantage of my HD television and projector.

• Richard V likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 of 92 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,189 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 13 2013 - 07:19 AM

i won't be satisfied until the studio's start releasing on VHS again and that way i can really take advantage of my HD television and projector.

Then you should have been really pleased a few weeks ago, Malcolm...  ;)

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#12 of 92 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted August 13 2013 - 08:25 AM

This is a nice provocative thread. When I started to collect blu-rays I decided to put them into two categories. The first is for my favourite titles which I play often. These I would replace whatever the cost. The second category would be titles I might play occasionally but which are overwhelmingly better on blu-ray or titles I have wanted but which have not previously been released on home video.

I think blu-ray is the end of the road for packaged media. Given the expense of producing top quality classic titles I cannot believe that many of my favourite titles will ever be released in 4K or what comes after it. Not wishing to stream I am buying the titles I want from wherever they are currently available. I was buying at least 10x the number of DVDs that I am on blu-ray.

• Tina_H_V likes this

#13 of 92 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2013 - 08:49 AM

Then you should have been really pleased a few weeks ago, Malcolm...  ;)

After reading that i really need to get my VHS films out of the box and start selling, assuming they aren't all faded away.

• ManW_TheUncool likes this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 of 92 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 09:01 AM

POPULAR

Since the advent of Blu-ray, for the first time, I feel like I am making a "lifetime" investment. Every time I bought a VHS, a laserdisc or a DVD, I knew that they would be obsolete someday. The difference with Blu-ray is that, for the first time since I have owned home video technology, with a well-produced Blu-ray, I feel like I am screening film at home. While technology will continue into the 4k realm and beyond, I am, at this point, a satisfied customer. Two years ago I bought an entry level Optoma hi-def projector, for far less than a direct view (at the time), and projected at 100 inches I honestly feel,  in many cases, like film is unspooling in my house. I haunted the revival houses in the 1970s and early 1980s, so the film look is important to me. In fact, as an example is the recent Blu-ray of the Cary Grant/Doris Day movie "That Touch of Mink"; the print used for the Blu-ray has a bit of dirt, a few scratches and some minus density here and there. In a way, I like that. After all, if I had the resources to own a 35mm print and project it at home, surely it would have those flaws, at least. The point is, the color and resolution of Blu-ray reproduce that print in all its filmic glory and I love it. DVD just couldn't do that.

• Tina_H_V, joshEH and Type A like this

#15 of 92 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,189 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 13 2013 - 09:05 AM

After reading that i really need to get my VHS films out of the box and start selling, assuming they aren't all faded away.

I bet you've got some interesting titles in that box...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 92 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2013 - 09:38 AM

I bet you've got some interesting titles in that box...

I have the original unaltered Star Wars films in original aspect ratio, plenty of Disney classics, lots of VHS widescreen films, i wonder how long VHS tape lasts.

#17 of 92 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 10:11 AM

What REALLY shine in the blu-ray medium are the colorful widescreen films of the fifties, sixties and early seventies.  The standard DVDs of films like BEN-HUR or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA were almost unwatchable, largely because the black bands reduced the clarity of the center image to barely VHS full frame quality.  To date there are scores of these films in various genres just waiting for the BD treatment.  Sadly, these seem to be at the bottom of the studios' list and God knows if we will ever see them in America.  Thankfully, a few are released in Germany, France, Japan, Australia and Scandinavia.  Criterion, Twilight Time and Olive seem to "get it", but the largest library in the world at Warners is embarrassingly under-represented.  I admit that the worn surviving elements of something like THE BLUE ANGEL will improve only minimally in blu-ray form while, say, the BEN-HUR BD becomes a jaw dropping revelation.  I'd upgrade all of my old widescreen DVDs to BD in a minute.  Just wish the studios would give me the opportunity and hurry it up a bit, at least bring it up to a turtle's pace.

#18 of 92 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 13 2013 - 10:14 AM

VHS is the only way (not counting TCM broadcasts) you can own the roadshow versions of The Alamo and Raintree County!

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#19 of 92 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,509 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 13 2013 - 10:28 AM

VHS is the only way (not counting TCM broadcasts) you can own the roadshow versions of The Alamo and Raintree County!

I own the roadshow version of The Alamo on laserdisc.  However, the Raintree County laserdisc is indeed the general release version.

#20 of 92 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 13 2013 - 03:23 PM

I agree, but that's not what I said.

No, but what you could be misinterpreted easily enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users