What's new

iPhone and iPad update 2013, September 10th (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Expect that official invites will go out today or tomorrow.

I just locked in for my iPhone 5 for $346.50 in Amazon credit on Gazelle.com330 for a good condition one and 5% bonus if you choose Amazon credit over paypal or check.

I don't think I will actually upgrade to the 5s, and I am not eligible for a subsidized new phone from Verizon, but just in case I wanted to have my offer set. I've had terrific luck with Gazelle in the past and there is no penalty for letting your offer expire, they even send you a box and prepaid mailer.

Personally I'm more looking forward to the new iPad, but we'll see!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had terrific luck with Gazelle in the past and there is no penalty for letting your offer expire, they even send you a box and prepaid mailer. Personally I'm more looking forward to the new iPad, but we'll see!
Good to know. I need to see if I can get a few bucks for my iPhone 4. I will be upgrading to 5S post haste.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not reading iPhone rumors this go around on hardware. I want to enjoy what little surprises there might be. But iPhone 4 is three years old and I notice the performance hit with iOS 6, especially compared to its zippy feel brand new with iOS 4. And practically, my camera lens cover got all scratched up last month and photos are terrible now (like a permanent soft focus filter)I'm hoping to switch from TomTom to Apple maps for driving. I've been a big proponent to TomTom, and pre-installed maps. But TomTom is stick in 2002 with its design and UI.I'm concerned a new phone will no longer work with my car adapter, with 30 pin adapter. I can't buy a new car as iPhone accessory. :)

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest Not using Apple maps. it's been horrible. I still have used it by mistake when Siri gives me directions and its been wrong multiple times. Twice send me in completely wrong directions

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
SteveMc said:
I suggest Not using Apple maps. it's been horrible. I still have used it by mistake when Siri gives me directions and its been wrong multiple times. Twice send me in completely wrong directions
AFAIK Apple Maps uses Tom Tom data for turn by turn GPS, so if Dave has been happy with Tom Tom...My impression with limited experience is that turn by turn on Apple Maps is fine. What continues to be awful is simple search. It just doesn't seem to want to give you the closest XYZ be it address or point of interested to your current location. And Google Maps is richer in the PoI department.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, TomTom and Apple Maps both source their data from NavTech (last I checked). I've seen similar errors in TomTom and Apple Maps. But both work fine in general. Likewise with Google Maps.

I've seen equivalent search problems with Apple and Google. Google was behaving last month: I was searching for a bowling alley in Virginia, and it give me results in Ft. Wayne, Ind. I'm guessing it was being "helpful" by seeing I've got a Google+ friend in Ft. Wayne and thus giving me socially relevant results. I haven't tried Google Maps since then, it was working so badly.

Apple has some extra suckiness of not having DC Metro locations (forget about public-transit navigation, it doesn't even have Metro Stop locations on the map). This is also a pain when being a tourist in NYC. I hope that is fixed this Fall.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Don't count on transit directions before iOS 8. If they were in 7 we would have heard about at WWDC. In fact, Apple just bought a transit directions company. For your next visit to NYC I recommend iTrans NYC -- a really great subway app, with excellent scheduling and transit alert information plus of course mapping and directions.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted Todorov said:
Don't count on transit directions before iOS 8. If they were in 7 we would have heard about at WWDC. In fact, Apple just bought a transit directions company. For your next visit to NYC I recommend iTrans NYC -- a really great subway app, with excellent scheduling and transit alert information plus of course mapping and directions.
thanks for the tip, I'm checking it out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looking forward to the announcements. We're getting new phones, just a question of which ones. I want 5S, but budgeting might dictate the 5C, so I'm now interested in what that will be and how it compares to the 4S (what would otherwise be the free phone)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks