Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Low Winter Sun, anyone?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,083 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 12 2013 - 08:04 AM

Anyone start watching this after Breaking Bad last night?

http://www.amctv.com.../low-winter-sun

http://articles.balt...ress-high-drama

I'm cautiously along for the ride.  This could steer into the Kevin Bacon dumbness that was The Following very quickly.  So far it seems smart and deep tho, with many double crosses yet to come.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,054 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 12 2013 - 08:08 AM

Nice start.  We'll see if it sustains.   Too much already on Sundays right now (Dexter, True Blood, Ray Donovan, Newsroom, Breaking Bad) so I'm trying to schedule it in ;)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,103 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted August 12 2013 - 08:34 AM

It feels like it'll be a slow burn that comes together about halfway through. Seen the original UK version, which had some issues, but we'll see if this one avoids those problems.

And I don't think I can not watch weekly Mark Strong.

I dug it, by and large. The cast is strong, and they did a good job in setting up an escalating situation. That said, every time Lennie James spat out a perfectly-executed monologue, it felt a little contrived. The fact that it all might be rehearsed sort of saves it, but this premise feels more like a film than a TV series.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,902 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 01:15 PM

Too much already on Sundays right now (Dexter, True Blood, Ray Donovan, Newsroom, Breaking Bad) so I'm trying to schedule it in ;)

Just curious, in this day and age why does it matter what night a show is on?  Even if your DVR can't handle the conflicts, all of the shows you mention are re-aired at various times during the week.  Not to mention On Demand.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,054 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 12 2013 - 08:58 PM

Just curious, in this day and age why does it matter what night a show is on?  Even if your DVR can't handle the conflicts, all of the shows you mention are re-aired at various times during the week.  Not to mention On Demand.

Well, my work schedule is messy.  Yeah, I've got 12 TV tuners on my HTPC, so I'm covered.. but still, I prefer to have it not quickly spoiled.. big name shows I tend to try and go through.  So, I saved Ray Donovan and Newsroom for today.  etc.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 05:57 PM

AMC is hoping this will be the next Breaking Bad, which has Gale Boetticher, Captain Montgomery, Sinestro, and a couple people from Jericho, in a show that takes place in Detroit (which is not mentioned until near the end).  ;) Still, I like it enough to keep watching. 

I get the feeling that the IA agent will get killed off in the end of the season, only because he is played by David Costabile. His characters always get written off one way or another, from all the shows I've seen him in. Still, even with that recognizable voice, he plays his roles really well. 

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - December
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 770 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 01:10 AM

I'm not quite sure this show is going to click with me at all. After watching the two episodes, nothing has grabbed me or made me want to find out more about what's going on. The characters I find very dull, boring and predictible for the most part. But, I don't care for shows like Breaking Bad or The Bridge either as the writing and characters just are not enjoyable for me to watch.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 05:40 AM

It hasn't become a 'go to' show for me just yet, when compared to shows like last seasons 'The Americans' or this year's 'The Bridge' but I'm sticking around   I was (seemingly) the only one who watched Detroit 187 from a few years back and the backdrop of Detroit adds a lot of character to the show, at least for me.

My biggest issue so far with the show is that you would think homicide detectives would be able to plan a homicide better, but I guess the emotions of their situations may have gotten the best of them.  I'm enjoying the cast, and I'm happy to see Billy Lush back on television, from The Chicago Code (a show that I thought ran far too briefly.)  I like the uneasy 'partnership' between Frank and Joe.  Also glad to see Captain Montgomery back on television after his exit from Castle.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:00 PM

After such an intense drama as Breaking Bad, AMC would be better served developing a comedy to follow it. I'm too drained to watch another drama after an episode of Breaking Bad.

I know there is the DVR culture, but I would imagine the majority of people who watch a program watch it as it airs.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 770 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 08:00 PM

After such an intense drama as Breaking Bad, AMC would be better served developing a comedy to follow it. I'm too drained to watch another drama after an episode of Breaking Bad.

I know there is the DVR culture, but I would imagine the majority of people who watch a program watch it as it airs.

Not even close, everyone I know of can't stand commercials and always DVR their shows. Just talking to a neighbor the other day and he said he records all his shows due to work and has gotten to the point where everything is DVR including local news just to skip the commercials.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 28 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm still watching it for now, but I'm really not into the young drug pimps segments.  I know they tie directly in to McCann, but those parts are really boring right now.  It feels like two separate shows that sometimes intersect.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,902 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 04:34 AM

Not even close, everyone I know of can't stand commercials and always DVR their shows. Just talking to a neighbor the other day and he said he records all his shows due to work and has gotten to the point where everything is DVR including local news just to skip the commercials.

Yeah I don't know of anyone who watches shows as they air.  Even my parents in their late 60's DVR and watch later and will even do OnDemand before watching it live.

For a show like Breaking Bad in it's final season, I may watch it the night it airs but I would make sure not to start watching it until at least 20 minutes in.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 07:03 AM

I dig it. The first episode was great..... I am liking what I have seen so far.

My DVD Collection

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,525 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 11:02 AM

So the season/series finale was last night, I thought it wrapped things up nicely.  The series had some issues.

The main one being we really didn't get enough backround/insight into the characters to care much about them.

I can't imagine it will get a second season due to the low rating.

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted October 15 2013 - 09:31 AM

I just finished watching this season, and thought the finale was a letdown. It went from Frank Agnew being this conflicted cop, who looked like he was about to do the right things, only for it to go back to "business as usual". I have a hard time believing that he would let it go, when it came to the killing of Katia, just like that.

Don't get me started on Damon and that subplot with Skelos! What a waste!

This is definitely not the next "Breaking Bad', as I thought the story was a mess. And a huge mistake to schedule it between "Breaking Bad" and "Talking Bad", as I usually take a break from TV when "Breaking Bad" ended. After watching BB, the only other show I would want to watch within a couple hours, is "Talking Bad".

The performances of Mark Strong, Lennie James, David Constabile, and even Sprague Grayden (who was not her usual whiny role) are what made this show a lot more watchable. Especially Strong, who was just amazing to watch.

I can't imagine it will get a second season due to the low rating.

Me either, as the ratings just kept getting lower and lower.

Edited by Walter C, October 15 2013 - 09:33 AM.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - December
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,083 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 06 2013 - 03:03 PM

Cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.c...n-canceled-amc/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users