What's new

Naked City (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is my understanding that Naked City is coming to dvd. I checked amazon site and it has no date. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions on naked city.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The entire series is slated to come out, but the date is pending. The series holds up beautifully because it's purely character-based. It's basically an anthology series which uses cop regulars (Paul Burke, Horace McMahon, etc.) to lead you into the character story. It's unique for its great use of location shooting throughout New York City. And, if you get HBO, check out the documentary "Casting By" which just aired there and is on HBO on Demand. It's mostly about Marion Dougherty, who was the casting director on Naked City (and Route 66) and how she had a phenomenal eye for picking out great talent from the stages of NYC. You'll see so many great actors (Martin Sheen, Peter Falk, Robert Duval, Gene Hackman, Jon Voight, etc.) who came out of the New York acting schools turn up on this show giving great performances (though Jon Voight laughingly describes how badly he completely blew his appearance on Naked City and how he thought he'd never get a job again - that clip is included in the doc).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's now up for pre-order at several vendors.

Right now Walmart is possibly the best choice as they have a what looks to be a pricing error on their site. The full series is currently pre-selling for $25.48 plux tax with free shipping to your house. It has a 11/5/13 shipping date.

Whether or not pre-orders at this price will go through is anyone's guess but it may be worth a chance.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
$25.48 for a 29-disc box set???....I hope that's true but something seems awfully wrong about that giveaway price. They have the list price as being $29.98, when the actual list is $179.98.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the heads-up on the Wal-Mart price! I had just pre-ordered this on Amazon the other day at $99 (which I thought as a steal), but decided cancel that and go ahead with that Wal-Mart option. Once the pre-order is in, don't they have to honor that price?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mr. Handley said:
Thanks for the heads-up on the Wal-Mart price! I had just pre-ordered this on Amazon the other day at $99 (which I thought as a steal), but decided cancel that and go ahead with that Wal-Mart option. Once the pre-order is in, don't they have to honor that price?
I'd have kept the Amazon pre-order as WM can always cancel pre-orders saying it was a price mistake. While they've honored such mistakes in the past there's nothing that says they have to do so. It's quite different than going into the store and seeing something mis-priced on the shelf. That one they typically *have* to honor until they take down that mistake (most will still argue if it's a large price difference and in this day of computerized inventory it's even harder still to get them to honor a bad shelf price). As an example: A couple of years ago they had a price mistake on a game controller/game combo. WM let some go through but cancelled *some* of the orders. On others, like mine, they cancelled the *game* portion of the combo but shipped the controller at "normal" price. It took a considerable number of back-and-forth emails to convince them that if they shipped *part* of the combo they were obligated to ship it all at the price listed. In the end I got the combo at the price it had listed but only because they did a partial ship and then cancelled. Had they cancelled *all* of it I'd have not bothered.

I'd consider contacting Amazon to see if they will re-instate that order just in case WM *does* cancel any low price pre-orders.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
John Karras said:
$25.48 for a 29-disc box set???....I hope that's true but something seems awfully wrong about that giveaway price. They have the list price as being $29.98, when the actual list is $179.98.
Yes, IMHO this is obviously a pricing error. For that reason I edited my original post and bolded the line which essentially says you're taking a chance of cancellation if you order a copy at this price. Some people have speculated what *should* be on that page is the "Best of" set. If that's the case, the page changes to reflect this, and that is what ships, you can always return it to a local store with nothing lost other than time/gas for a return.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
It's now up for pre-order at several vendors.

Right now Walmart is possibly the best choice as they have a what looks to be a pricing error on their site. The full series is currently pre-selling for $25.48 plux tax with free shipping to your house. Whether or not these pre-orders will go through is anyone's guess but it may be worth a chance. It has a 11/5/13 shipping date.
Howie,

15o87wj.jpg
for posting the info. We'll see what happens. It was a rare pre-order for me but well worth the gamble.

2z9ifc1.jpg

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'll be curious to hear what happens with the Wal Mart orders, but don't be surprised if you end up with the Best of set, which that price sounds more likely to represent. I have that set and am enjoying it, even though it's not really so much a Best of as a set that features guest stars who became more famous later. The show has a timeless appeal though because it's so character-oriented, like Route 66, which followed it from the same producer.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Hollywoodaholic said:
I'll be curious to hear what happens with the Wal Mart orders, but don't be surprised if you end up with the Best of set, which that price sounds more likely to represent. I have that set and am enjoying it, even though it's not really so much a Best of as a set that features guest stars who became more famous later. The show has a timeless appeal though because it's so character-oriented, like Route 66, which followed it from the same producer.
I'd be very surprised if they did that since the picture shows the complete 29 disk series and the description matches the complete series. If they did they would just have to process all the returns or take even more heat for shipping the wrong product. Especially, since the best of sets are also listed on their website for a cheaper price. It would make more sense, and would be much less work on their part, to just cancel the orders or post an out of stock soon and fill just those that made it through. Its not like those ordering don't know what they are ordering. I'd give it a decent chance of being filled, but would obvious understand if they decided to cancel it.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I ordered the Walmart Naked City, and the order went through, confirmation email and all. We will see if I get the double shuffle.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Howie! I put the pre-order through at Walmart using your link. We'll see if it sticks. Great price if it does! Looking forward to seeing this inconic series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have no idea why they would do that, but I just spent an Olympic record cancelling my $99.99 order from late May and reordering it right away at this price.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^There should be no need for that. If a pre-order price drops Amazon will automatically give you the lower price.

^^It looks like they are price matching WM.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
You may be right but I couldn't take the chance. It was quicker to get it processed this way. And yeah, I guess it is a case of price matching Walmart.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
BobO'Link said:
^There should be no need for that. If a pre-order price drops Amazon will automatically give you the lower price.

^^It looks like they are price matching WM.
I ordered one from Wal-Mart and one from Amazon. If they both come through at that price one will make a nice Christmas gift.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This one is on my XMAS gift list!!!!!!! Getting this set from Amazon,at this price, will doubtlessly be a huge holiday pickup!!!!! Besides, I could really use more B&W television content. This will really fill the stocking in a huge way!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks